Students call for online protest over new ‘gag orders’

webfact

Students call for online protest over new ‘gag orders’

By Kornrawee Panyasuppakun 
The Nation

a833c62fefaea91eac4af718b56efefb.jpeg

Student activists symbolically cover their mouths in protest against regulations they believe are aimed at quelling political expression.

Student activist group Education for the Liberation of Siam has called for the use of the hashtag “#studentcantsay” on Facebook and Twitter to protest Education Ministry regulations on student conduct seen as restricting their freedom of political expression.

Anger and frustration have built up among students after the Cabinet approved the revamped regulations on August 14 banning “inappropriate” shows of affection, actions likely to cause public nuisance, and public gatherings likely to cause disorder.

“The regulations will affect our daily lives and are ambiguous enough to be used for political purposes – banning political expression,” group leader Thanchanok Koshpasharin said among fellow students gathered on the MBK skywalk on Saturday afternoon. 

They called on students to post their pictures online with a hand over their mouths and to use the hashtag #studentcantsay.

“We want a part in drafting regulations like this,” Thanchanok said. “We want a public hearing and we want the regulations to be specific.” 

Rather than banning actions on the basis of social order and morality, the regulations should address specific acts, such as taking illicit drugs, she said.

The concern is that the regulations’ broad scope could allow them to be used to punish students for staging political rallies against the junta-led government.

“There will be more and more groups calling for these regulations to be scrapped,” said Student Union of Thailand leader Parit “Penguin” Chiwarak. 

He submitted a letter to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday asking that the changes to the regulations be revoked.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352464

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-20

"...“The regulations will affect our daily lives and are ambiguous enough to be used for political purposes – banning political expression,” group leader Thanchanok Koshpasharin said among fellow students gathered on the MBK skywalk on Saturday afternoon. .."

I am very glad to see that the students have twigged on to the real function of the rule change; it was never about sex, it was always about the ability to protest.

I sincerely hope that the students really pile up on this one; the greatest single threat to continued and long-term military rule is the students, and they know it.

Give' em hell, students!

Unless they go at it in a students United country wide full force and keep it coming and keeping it in the spotlight, the Junta will just crush it and desensitize the kids so it becomes norm as they think nothing we can do. It does seem to be a political move, but also a sterilization. I will say again, so close to communism, but on this one they want the effects to reach a Singpaore/Bhutan model..

I really hope there will be more of this. Thais deserve a better country they just don‘t know it. It takes balls and a vision to protest in a country where everybody is taught to feel small and unimportant or gets discriminated by their own countrymen. 

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Unless they go at it in a students United country wide full force and keep it coming and keeping it in the spotlight, the Junta will just crush it and desensitize the kids so it becomes norm as they think nothing we can do. It does seem to be a political move, but also a sterilization. I will say again, so close to communism, but on this one they want the effects to reach a Singpaore/Bhutan model..

Military Rule and Communism at it's worst......... Reminiscent of Russia A number of years ago.........

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...“The regulations will affect our daily lives and are ambiguous enough to be used for political purposes – banning political expression,” group leader Thanchanok Koshpasharin said among fellow students gathered on the MBK skywalk on Saturday afternoon. .."

I am very glad to see that the students have twigged on to the real function of the rule change; it was never about sex, it was always about the ability to protest.

I sincerely hope that the students really pile up on this one; the greatest single threat to continued and long-term military rule is the students, and they know it.

Give' em hell, students!

They need to be very careful. It wasn't so long ago that students upset one of the many military governments and there were dire consequences. Look at all the little savages laughing. Land of Smiles, after all.

6 Oct 76.jpg

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Give' em hell, students!

It's not just about the young, agree, give'm hell. 

" Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. "

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Those students are brave to show their faces online.

They will also be marked for life as dissidents of the Junta as will any other students found supporting opposition to the new regulations. They may as well go all the way now and gather all the support they can. 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They need to be very careful. It wasn't so long ago that students upset one of the many military governments and there were dire consequences. Look at all the little savages laughing. Land of Smiles, after all.

6 Oct 76.jpg

This photo should be plastered all over Thailand as a reminder of the complete lack of care demonstrated by the Thai government and others at the time  - and don't think for one minute that anything has really changed and that it won't  happen again. 

To me it rates along side Nick Ut's napalm girl - a major wake up call in the US and the start to the end of the "war" .

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

6 Oct 76.jpg

This is why there needs to be a MASS movement of dissent - not just a piddling few (hundreds, even thousands - not enough). If there are only small groups of protesters, they can and will easily be picked off. If there is MASS opposition - in all manner of ways - then even a junta cannot stand for long ...

11 minutes ago, Eligius said:

This is why there needs to be a MASS movement of dissent - not just a piddling few (hundreds, even thousands - not enough). If there are only small groups of protesters, they can and will easily be picked off. If there is MASS opposition - in all manner of ways - then even a junta cannot stand for long ...

But unfortunately,  unlikely there is anyone capable of  bringing the population together to start this change - at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

But unfortunately,  unlikely there is anyone capable of  bringing the population together to start this change - at this point. 

My only real hope is Thanathorn and his Future Forward Party. But it will be very, very difficult for him to get a foothold unless he secures mass support from the Thais - which, unfortunately, I do not see happening. But I have hopes that one day - one day - long after I am gone from Thaivisa and this world - someone like Thanathorn will lead Thailand into true democracy and freedom ...

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Give' em hell, students!

Maybe there is hope for Thailand after all. There is no doubt that the rule is designed to be used to punish the students for anything that threatens those in charge. The students are a real threat since they have a "underground" communication process, they are passionate about change, they are motivated, they are willing to pay a penalty for encouraging change, they have less material wealth accumulated at this stage of their lives so there is less that can be taken from them, and they are well organized. They are poised to have a real impact and I truly hope they do.

29 minutes ago, chama said:

Maybe there is hope for Thailand after all. There is no doubt that the rule is designed to be used to punish the students for anything that threatens those in charge. The students are a real threat since they have a "underground" communication process, they are passionate about change, they are motivated, they are willing to pay a penalty for encouraging change, they have less material wealth accumulated at this stage of their lives so there is less that can be taken from them, and they are well organized. They are poised to have a real impact and I truly hope they do.

Students have to become better organised as an effective underground movement, being confrontive isn't the best way forward at the moment as they don't have a meaningful network in place to counter the actions against them. They need to develop guerrilla skills just as partisans do during war-time - keep a low profile, stay out of sight, have effective planning on selected targets / policies -- grandstanding doesn't do it, it leaves the actions and individuals open for retaliation which in the end is counter productive, it might get headlines for a day or two but quickly forgotten.

Hopefully one day soon they can really get their act together. 

Sadly the Uni massacre was encouraged from above and can not be discussed, THE main hurdle for many problems , the truth will come out they can not lie forever with the Internet wise kids (it is for those outside of Thailand) Brainwashing and propadanda is not so easy now with the Internet, even the North Koreans do not believe it , unfortunately most thais do

16 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Going to be difficult if the adults in this country don't set the example!

They never did. 

Anywhere.

Summer of love ring a Bell? 

Brutally repressed, the students demonized en masse as drug addled urban malcontents, and parents were being brainwashed on US TV by Nixon's arsewipes to fear their own kids!  

Archived