Chinese tourist drowns at Koh Racha

webfact

Chinese tourist drowns at Koh Racha

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_1451.jpg

A male Chinese tourist, who ignored red flags, has drowned at Koh Racha yesterday (August 19).

Chalong Police were notified at 1.40pm that a tourist was unconscious after being pulled from surf just off the island’s main beach. The tourist was immediately taken on a speedboat back to Chalong Pier.

The tourist was later identified as 32 year old Zhang Guo Jun, a Chinese national.  He was rushed to Chalong Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/chinese-tourist-drowns-at-koh-racha

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-20

It make me wonder if the public generally understand the significance of the red flags?

Do people take an interest in what's around them and whether it's relevant to what they're doing?

I wouldn't know if you can narrow it down to a nationality - Chinese in this instance:

"his family of four were waiting for a boat to head back to Phuket they decided to go for a swim in a location where there were red flags along the beach."

Is it a case of informing the public better, or is it pointless if some are just not spatially aware of anything?

Drowning is a major cause of death for Chinese at home, not just on holiday.

"About 60,000 Chinese drown every year.

Drowning is the single leading cause of injury death in Chinese children aged 1-14 years.

Nearly 700 Chinese citizens were killed while traveling overseas last year - one-third of them died during water-based activities while on holiday, such as swimming and snorkeling."

These statistics were taken from this recent article, tends to put things in perspective. The problem begins at home.

Interesting reading.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1111189.shtml

Is any effort made to inform Chinese tourists the meaning of the red flags??

Where were the lifeguards in this instance? Were they patrolling the beach?

I suspect that most tourists have no idea the flags are anything more than decoration.

Great business opportunity for a trained Life Guardsman/woman. Teaching basic swimming lessons both here and particularly in China. Might also teach international warning signs such as RED FLAGS (no offense to China's National Flag, that they might be concerned about too).

3 hours ago, fantom said:

Is any effort made to inform Chinese tourists the meaning of the red flags??

Where were the lifeguards in this instance? Were they patrolling the beach?

I suspect that most tourists have no idea the flags are anything more than decoration.

Are you serious?

Just type "red flags on a beach" into Google and get:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=red+flags+on+a+beach&oq=red+flags+on+a+beach&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7010j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And before you say, "no tourist does that" - well then they pretty much deserve what they get!

Whatever nationality you are, it is your responsibility to do your research when you travel to new places, whether it's swimming, dangerous wildlife, driving, prevalent sicknesses or whatever.

And let's be honest, these days it's easier than ever before.

Finally....what idiot enters surf like that unless they know about currents, riptides etc?

Sorry - no sympathy, unlike for the people who go out on boat trips and then get injured or killed through no fault of their own.

Rant over - have a nice day....and....

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Drowning is a major cause of death for Chinese at home, not just on holiday.

"About 60,000 Chinese drown every year.

Drowning is the single leading cause of injury death in Chinese children aged 1-14 years.

Nearly 700 Chinese citizens were killed while traveling overseas last year - one-third of them died during water-based activities while on holiday, such as swimming and snorkeling."

These statistics were taken from this recent article, tends to put things in perspective. The problem begins at home.

Interesting reading.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1111189.shtml

Seems like a national tragedy wherever they are.  

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It make me wonder if the public generally understand the significance of the red flags?

Do people take an interest in what's around them and whether it's relevant to what they're doing?

I wouldn't know if you can narrow it down to a nationality - Chinese in this instance:

"his family of four were waiting for a boat to head back to Phuket they decided to go for a swim in a location where there were red flags along the beach."

Is it a case of informing the public better, or is it pointless if some are just not spatially aware of anything?

He might of thought Red Flag was for Chinese only to swim

Archived