House Build stage payment scheme?

cheeryble

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

We await your tales of woe ?

The whole crew have worked Sunday with a will so the first post ceremony can take place at 9 tomorrow morning the auspicious day.

Three days and all holes dug, looks like all rebar work ready to erect (might be up already I've been out) and I think first concrete going in tomorrow along with little bags of baht which I'm told will turn to silver and gold.

Grandmas homies came to prepare ceremonial objects (Grandma's the one strongly resembling Don King)

My wife came to an agreement with the dog he wouldn't bite any of the workers and he shook hands on it.

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

images.jpeg

On 8/22/2018 at 4:12 AM, cheeryble said:

The deal is done with five payments.

The first four payments will be in advance, the last on total completion.

the last payment is only about 7% of the total.

I said I would like to reduce the first four payments slightly and make the final payment on completion to 10%.

He said he's charging me such good price he can't afford to.

I asked where he would find the final money to complete the last stage, he said he will save it from the first four payments.

Knowing the guy, having been recommended, and having seen lots of his other work in stages in photos on his laptop, after a couple of hours of talking details I decided to go along with it, put ten thousand on the table and offered my hand to seal the deal.

First post will start day after tomorrow.

Good to see you getting started with your build.

Your payment schedule does not seem out of the ordinary, we had a similar set up in ours and it worked out well.  I look forward to your build and wish you the best of luck. 

On 8/23/2018 at 11:24 PM, cheeryble said:

Well a healthy gang of guys and the boss turned up this morning and look businesslike.

I checked boss knew a detail before he started laying out measurements (he did), warned them all about the dog.......who will be happy having entertainment the next months.......Wished them good luck with a wave worthy of Caesar before battle, and left them to it.

I noticed said boss was taking a first photo, he obviously likes having a really good record of his jobs. I like that.

ps I noticed his soon-to-be-signed contract included a clause giving a penalty payment to us each day the job goes over 5 months (so will hope for less). Also for what it's worth a 6 month guarantee on anything that ain't right after the finish.

I also find the wife has taken initiative and researched what to include in a contract and will be asking for some additions. Well done her.

We also had a penalty for not finishing in time, Our builder was so good   we never held him to it. 

After we were half way through the build and since we really did not care how long it took, I told him that i did not care how long it took , within reason, but cared more that they did a good job. 

I did not want them cutting corners, or hiring unqualified workers  trying to finish on time.  He appreciated the consideration so much he did a lot of extra things at cost .  But this was not a primary residence for as and we had that luxury.

If finishing a particular time  is not important to you I suggest the same attitude.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:27 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

No, I hate unnecessary snakes.

IMG_4650.thumb.JPG.10a7dc0764ff635d718a679a199b630e.JPGIMG_4651.thumb.JPG.ecac09f93d83b3ac33f10cc4529f4c79.JPGIMG_4652.thumb.JPG.ffb46a5212ff85ed49178ffd02c09e08.JPGIMG_4653.thumb.JPG.84db194d01003f4b25b80099c4c05db1.JPGIMG_4654.thumb.JPG.2e791c8b65fe6a319a2cdf0e8674fb2e.JPG

The workshop has quite a lot more. Than that.

IMG_4656.thumb.JPG.d36b274997dc77088a837fb92a0037d5.JPG

The main point is that as you are building building it is easy and cheap to install power points, probably only a couple of hundred Baht each, after you have built it is probably over 1,000 Baht each plus the making good needed.

Do we have more sockets than we will use in the livingroom? Probably, but we will always have a socket near where we need one.

I’m sure your Thai sparky who installed these said lao teh khun... Not a problem... and then wired them all up to one breaker... :coffee1:

4 hours ago, cheeryble said:

The whole crew have worked Sunday with a will so the first post ceremony can take place at 9 tomorrow morning the auspicious day.

Three days and all holes dug, looks like all rebar work ready to erect (might be up already I've been out) and I think first concrete going in tomorrow along with little bags of baht which I'm told will turn to silver and gold.

Grandmas homies came to prepare ceremonial objects (Grandma's the one strongly resembling Don King)

My wife came to an agreement with the dog he wouldn't bite any of the workers and he shook hands on it.

Good to see you're getting going.

Why not start a new thread with blow by blow disaster by disaster reports?

Seriously, enjoy your build, it will be fun ?

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I’m sure your Thai sparky who installed these said lao teh khun... Not a problem... and then wired them all up to one breaker... :coffee1:

Well no. They were wired into about 5 different circuits in the living/kitchen  and probably 6 in the workshop all with individual breakers

Thanks for the good wishes.....perhaps I could do a weekly or twice weekly update in a thread.......don't seem enough minutes in the day......

Anyway this morning the ceremonials and rebar columns getting set in the holes started with coconuts and so on hanging off them. 

The holes are so deep a worker could just reach out of one.

Pigs cheeks anyone?

IMG_4560.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

This is mine 4 years on....cost 1.3 mil 120 sq mtres 2 bed 2 bath paid builder labour only (390,000 baht) in stage payments bought everything ourselves locally.....luckily as a brit the pound was worth 53/54 baht then,good luck with the build,some problems along the way but well worth it in the end  :thumbsup:

125.JPG

On August 27, 2018 at 11:01 AM, petermik said:

This is mine 4 years on....cost 1.3 mil 120 sq mtres 2 bed 2 bath paid builder labour only (390,000 baht) in stage payments bought everything ourselves locally.....luckily as a brit the pound was worth 53/54 baht then,good luck with the build,some problems along the way but well worth it in the end  :thumbsup:

125.JPG

Looks very good and well kept Petermik....

I've slightly had second thoughts about choosing a sheet metal roof.......yours looks very neat and CPAC certainly looks more solid......

but I dare say metal is nice and leakproof, the day's heat will disperse from it fast, 3mm insulation foil and rock wool above ceilings works very well for heat and I've checked for noise in rain and I'm happy it makes what I'd call a "distant" sound which is perhaps quite pleasant. I think I won't even go for Colorbond just the better quality 0.35mm after all one could resheet the whole roof if need be in x years for very little.

I'm also going for thermalite blocks but decided on only 75mm instead of 100mm as i was told when it's rendered both sides the window frames will fit easily instead of adapting the reveals. It'll still insulate a whole lot more than bricks or regular blocks and after all the roof's more important and there are large roof overhangs for more than half the house.

I'm presuming your 120sqm includes the covered verandah and carport?

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Looks very good and well kept Petermik....

I've slightly had second thoughts about choosing a sheet metal roof.......yours looks very neat and CPAC certainly looks more solid......

but I dare say metal is nice and leakproof, the day's heat will disperse from it fast, 3mm insulation foil and rock wool above ceilings works very well for heat and I've checked for noise in rain and I'm happy it makes what I'd call a "distant" sound which is perhaps quite pleasant. I think I won't even go for Colorbond just the better quality 0.35mm after all one could resheet the whole roof if need be in x years for very little.

I'm also going for thermalite blocks but decided on only 75mm instead of 100mm as i was told when it's rendered both sides the window frames will fit easily instead of adapting the reveals. It'll still insulate a whole lot more than bricks or regular blocks and after all the roof's more important and there are large roof overhangs for more than half the house.

I'm presuming your 120sqm includes the covered verandah and carport?

Nothing wrong with a metal roof in fact there are some advantages , less chance of leaks,cools down quick at night , lighter and requires less structural steel

When I was building I seriously consider it. 

But it had a major disadvantage, WIfe  had metal roof all her life and now wanted CPAC and we all know that a Happy wife makes for a Happy life! 

If you are considering perhaps changing to CPAC tile in the future make sure the structural steel is strong enough.

42 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Nothing wrong with a metal roof in fact there are some advantages , less chance of leaks,cools down quick at night , lighter and requires less structural steel

When I was building I seriously consider it. 

But it had a major disadvantage, WIfe  had metal roof all her life and now wanted CPAC and we all know that a Happy wife makes for a Happy life! 

If you are considering perhaps changing to CPAC tile in the future make sure the structural steel is strong enough.

Petermik's roof looks very neat but to be honest most CPAC roofs rely on a few of the joints being mortared rather than interlocking.

If I was ever likely to sell the house I'd use CPAC but I think that's highly unlikely, especially as the wife's mum provided the land and wife built the garden walls etc and half the land is available to grow stuff for the kitchen, chicken eggs etc. which is a nice mix. It's a half hour from CM up the river which could be nearer but not with a free plot of land and anyway a half hour a trip is just right for a good podcast.

3 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Petermik's roof looks very neat but to be honest most CPAC roofs rely on a few of the joints being mortared rather than interlocking.

If I was ever likely to sell the house I'd use CPAC but I think that's highly unlikely, especially as the wife's mum provided the land and wife built the garden walls etc and half the land is available to grow stuff for the kitchen, chicken eggs etc. which is a nice mix. It's a half hour from CM up the river which could be nearer but not with a free plot of land and anyway a half hour a trip is just right for a good podcast.

Our CPAC monier roof is tighter than a crabs ass so far, but I know what you mean.

image.png.aabb588f1683d9fb4f6e7aef98866679.png

How about posting some plans of what you are planning to build? will you be using AAC block (superblock) for the walls (I highly recommend it ? 

By the way, nice to be close to a major metropolitan area but far enough to enjoy the country. We are about 15 min to the heart of Khon Kaen and if you didn't know it, you would think we are in the heart of the country, nice and quiet.

I am out of the country now, will be back in a few months. Looking at the house, to the left I will also start a garden  at that space as soon as I return..

Our CPAC monier roof is tighter than a crabs ass so far, but I know what you mean.
image.png.aabb588f1683d9fb4f6e7aef98866679.png
How about posting some plans of what you are planning to build? will you be using AAC block (superblock) for the walls (I highly recommend it ? 
By the way, nice to be close to a major metropolitan area but far enough to enjoy the country. We are about 15 min to the heart of Khon Kaen and if you didn't know it, you would think we are in the heart of the country, nice and quiet.
I am out of the country now, will be back in a few months. Looking at the house, to the left I will also start a garden  at that space as soon as I return..

Still very much agree with your taperd columns

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_4805.JPG.217b819b346b95063910ade645fd52e8.JPG&key=83c9ba941f6a2d7cd02cd6913ceb071d8443b53d368541bc1602bdd6a7a93fa0IMG_4806.JPG.83e43a9cbadd871c63f4ac5182181ae7.JPG&key=3b0f0f18ef3d9e57e91060e2126b87bf9f0fcc3d96e3e7d28d9091970c74ce34

On first layout orange is mums chalet with open Thai kitchen and store behind

Red house I s going up as we speak.

On second plan I did a couple of things I like.

1. I’ve put the chalet and house 3metres apart.the chalet roof will be extended to the nearest wall of the slightly raised house and the ground concreted. With just this I have four dimensions of a room (study)

2. There's a garden wall on the left 2.7m from the main house Line.

I had the idea to extend our bathroom out to the wall it will then be bright and can then look out onto the he green "atrium" area.

If I extend the aforesaid "study" to the garden wall this can also view the atrium which I envisage having water with tall water plants in.

Our bedroom will have a modest window either side of the bed which will also benefit from the atrium. So a dead area behind the house will become a great and useful feature.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well our house has roared on since 25th August.
The concrete work up to the main slab level is all in and done, and the carport area is smoothed to a finish.
The columns are up, and today some blocks went up and the largest pair of what would be called the wall plates were painted and erected inc welding to long lengths.
As Sirineou suggested I started sketching up some plans to give an idea, but they look awful and need doing better.
It should probably be done in its own thread, but as u guys here all helped I’ll at least kick off here.
The main problem is not enough minutes in the day!
Briefly, it’s a 65m x 22m lot 60m away from a country road at what was the bottom L end of grandma's garden.
I put up a chalet last year which was going to be storage but has been properly built and Mum's moved in. It’s a 4x4m room and a 4x4m outside area but large rooof overhang and awning so more space. Lovely pomelo tree outside it.
Missus built wall all round, track to road, and water tanks and elec supply.
I’m doing the house.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived