Brexit vote could 'in theory' be reversed: EU minister Moscovici

webfact

Brexit vote could 'in theory' be reversed: EU minister Moscovici

2018-08-20T071233Z_1_LYNXNPEE7J0I1_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU-VOTE.JPG

A man holds an anti-Brexit banner on Westminster Bridge, in central London, Britain, July 13, 2018. REUTERS/Yves Herman/Files

PARIS (Reuters) - Britain's vote to leave the European Union could "in theory" be reversed although there is a still a strong probability it will go ahead, said the European Commissioner for Economic and Financial Affairs Pierre Moscovici on Monday.

Moscovici was replying on French radio to a question related to a move by the co-founder of fashion brand Superdry to donate a million pounds ($1.28 million) to the campaign for a referendum on the final Brexit agreement.

Asked whether the Brexit vote could be reversed, Moscovici told France Inter radio: "It is, in theory...it is up to the British themselves who have made the decision to leave, to decide ultimately if they will or not, and how they will do it."

"The probability of Brexit is nevertheless very strong because there has been a vote of the people, a referendum..." added Moscovici.

Asked if there would definitely be a deal between Britain and the European Union regarding the terms of Brexit, Moscovici also replied: "Not necessarily."

(Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta and Julie Carriat; Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-20

Is it not time for Burka Boris to fulfil on his aspirations and put some flesh on the bones of just how anyone for generations is going to be better off out than in millionaires aside. As an expat I'm sick to death of the constant relentless tide of drivel from all sides wreaking havoc with my 70p pound?     

24 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

When will Pierre and the rest of the morons understand we do not want the self indulgent, expensive bureaucracy that is Europe. We want out and to leave the Europeans to themselves to stew in their own mess :bah:

If it wasn't for that expensive bureaucracy that the UK joined ( when the EEC), BMWs and Mercedes Benz would still be subject to high import duties and the British would thus still be stuck with cheaper unreliable and poorly designed cars from BMC .  With the exception of the Mini of course which was designed by Issigonis,  but then he was Greek/German anyway so guess you could say from the EEC by birth.

4 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

When will Pierre and the rest of the morons understand we do not want the self indulgent, expensive bureaucracy that is Europe. We want out and to leave the Europeans to themselves to stew in their own mess :bah:

You do not want to be part of the eu. 

Many disagree with you. 

So your use of “we” to encompass a whole country is not correct. 

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Many disagree with you. 

He is quite correct, 'we' did vote out, that is why we are leaving. The people that did not vote out will be leaving too.

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Many disagree with you. 

By "we" he meant himself and his drunk friend at the pub perhaps ?

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

He is quite correct, 'we' did vote out, that is why we are leaving. The people that did not vote out will be leaving too.

It is 100% inaccurate of him to use “we” to refer to an entire nation supporting his view. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

It is 100% inaccurate of him to use “we” to refer to an entire nation supporting his view. 

I am not going to get into a bickering debate over pedantics with you, which all your arguments seem to take.

We are leaving, trust me, you won't be staying.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

it is up to the British themselves who have made the decision to leave, to decide ultimately if they will or not, and how they will do it."

So said this EU bureaucrat.

Well he is kind of half right. Yes, the British themselves made the decision to leave. The way it will be done does depend on the EU up to a point, but only up to a point.

6 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

yes,

and indulge in the UK red tape at bargain prices

lots of quid saved, can finance NHS with that

3 hours ago, markaoffy said:

It’s what the Arrogant and Undemocratic EU having been banking on! Stonewalling and doing all it can to make the British come crawling back !

The only thing making the British come crawling back is the British realizing in what shit they get themselves into. Otherwise the British would just sit back and wait until March. But, apparently, someone wants to leave the club but still keep the benefits. Now who’s arrogant? 

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Yeah,  leaving the Union.  But since the Welsh and Scots may well be '<deleted>' to many a staunch yeoman,  no great loss eh?  Don't forget your radioactive submarines, the locals won't even let their dogs drink from the loch around HMNB Faslane. 

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

Yeah,  leaving the Union.  But since the Welsh and Scots may well be '<deleted>' to many a staunch yeoman,  no great loss eh?  Don't forget your radioactive submarines, the locals won't even let their dogs drink from the loch around HMNB Faslane. 

Why bring the Welsh into this, they voted out too, did you write this post when you came in from the pub.

10 hours ago, vogie said:

I am not going to get into a bickering debate over pedantics with you, which all your arguments seem to take.

We are leaving, trust me, you won't be staying.

It’s not being pedantic to point out the complete inaccuracy of a statement. 

17 hours ago, Esso49 said:

If it wasn't for that expensive bureaucracy that the UK joined ( when the EEC), BMWs and Mercedes Benz would still be subject to high import duties and the British would thus still be stuck with cheaper unreliable and poorly designed cars from BMC .  With the exception of the Mini of course which was designed by Issigonis,  but then he was Greek/German anyway so guess you could say from the EEC by birth.

You understand that it is the destination country that imposes IMPORT duties and that it can stop doing so any time it pleases?

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It’s not being pedantic to point out the complete inaccuracy of a statement. 

And what is innacurate of someone saying we are leaving, when we are indeed leaving, are you a controverversialist that likes to disagree when someone is right.

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

And what is innacurate of someone saying we are leaving, when we are indeed leaving, are a controverversialist that likes to disagree when someone is right.

I never said the U.K. wasn’t leaving

i disagreed with the comment that clearly implied (by the use of “we” to encompass a whole nation), that all supported his view of the eu. 

Specifically

“We want out and to leave the Europeans to themselves”

Some want this, but by no means all. 

9 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

But, apparently, someone wants to leave the club but still keep the benefits

This analogy with a "club" keeps coming up. Most clubs do in fact have variable types of membership. And they don't insist you pay for updates to the club that will take place after you have left.

The reality is that the EU can flex on many things. They have in the past, and they will in the future. I have a feeling that the hole in the budget caused by the UK's planned departure is the thing that is going to encourage the EU to be flexible when the crunch comes.

However, the brexit hardiners will probably block May's attempt to negotiate the kind of deal that a lot of people would accept (remainers and exiters). This is where it gets tricky and unpredictable.

21 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

"we do not want the self indulgent, expensive bureaucracy"

I agree 100% with this part - and am pretty sure that many (if not most) remainers feel the same way!

21 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

I suspect you are in a minority now. During my recent extended vacation in the U.K. and other European states I did not meet a single person that thought Brexit was a sensible idea. OK I was in many UK university towns but that included Newcastle.

I met one example of this rare breed in Peppers Bar Phuket. He actually admitted, in public that he was pro Brexit. The main reason being the wish to freely set corporate taxes and cited Eire being punished for giving Apple a special deal. On balance, club rules are preferable to avoid a race to the bottom and the consequent disadvantage to civil society generally

22 hours ago, Get Real said:

Most of the population will be to unaware, of the benefits of such a decision.

But still bang on about EU intransigence ?

Wind it all back; remain with our rebates and opt outs. Then negotiate on free movement limits.

22 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

48% of those who voted in the advisory referendum did want to remain. 

Hardly decisive.

Archived