Veteran politico Chalerm 'certain' of Pheu Thai majority at general election

snoop1130

By The Nation

a23c316ff730a973b4a72129fac82d12.jpeg

Chalerm Yoobamrung, a key figure in the Pheu Thai Party, expressed confidence on Monday that the previously ruling party would win the next general election.

The veteran politician said he expected Pheu Thai to gain a majority in the House of Representatives, by winning more than 250 of the 500 seats up for grabs.

“Believe me, the Pheu Thai Party will win with a landslide. I am certain we will get more than 250 MP seats,” he said.

Chalerm’s remarks reflected an earlier claim made by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is widely viewed as Pheu Thai’s patriarch and often referred to as “Big Boss” by many of its politicians.

Chalerm recently met Thaksin – who has been in self-exile overseas since 2008 – in Hong Kong. 

The ex-PM fled the country shortly before the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced him to two years in jail for abuse of power.

Regarding a new party leader for Pheu Thai, Chalerm also said that it would “certainly not be him”. However, he declined to comment on who he thought was suitable to become the party’s next leader.

A deputy prime minister in the previous government led by Thaksin’s sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, Chalerm said on Monday that he was now in charge of Pheu Thai’s election centre and that he had information pointing to the party’s victory in the next national election.

He added that Pheu Thai would “completely defeat” a political group called Sam Mit (Three Friends), which had been formed to support Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s return to power after the election.

Sam Mit, led by veteran politicians who are Thaksin’s former allies, is linked to a new political party called Palang Pracharat, whose name is inspired by the government’s populist development project Pracharat (people and state).

The group has managed to woo many former MPs from other parties, particularly Pheu Thai, into its fold.

Chalerm also said that Sam Mit had got only “election candidates”, and not election winners. 

This remark reflected a claim by Thaksin and some Pheu Thai leaders that the party’s new candidates would defeat those defectors in the next general election.

Chalerm was speaking to reporters at the Crime Suppression Division (CSD), which he was visiting to offer moral support to his son, Wan, and his grandson, Achawin, both of whom had turned themselves in at CSD headquarters to face the charge of physical assault. 

Wan and Achawin stand accused of assaulting a 34-year-old man outside a Thong Lo pub during the night of July 23. 

The accuser, identified as Panuwat Punnarattanakul, who had a personal dispute with Achawin while in Singapore, alleged that Wan had punched him in the face many times on the night in question. 

Panuwat also claimed that an armed man accompanying Wan and Achawin had drawn his pistol when he was about to fight back. 

At that time, Achawin also kicked him, the accuser added. 

The armed man fired shots into the air to prevent Panuwat’s friends from helping him, it was alleged.

Wan and Achawin were questioned for about two hours at CSD headquarters, before being released after being fingerprinted.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352536

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-20

He is quite probably right. An utterly disreputable old thug, but nonetheless quite probably right; if Pheu Thai is allowed to stand. 

Of course, no matter how many votes they garner/seats they win, I'm sure that there will be a variety of reasons which will prevent them from actually taking up those seats. 

1 minute ago, JAG said:

He is quite probably right. An utterly disreputable old thug, but nonetheless quite probably right; if Pheu Thai is allowed to stand. 

Of course, no matter how many votes they garner/seats they win, I'm sure that there will be a variety of reasons which will prevent them from actually taking up those seats. 

Exactly ! Prayut is scared as a bucket of doo doo that that is exactly what will happen. Lets hope all the Issan conscripts are given a free right to vote.

15 minutes ago, JAG said:

Was Chalerm sober when he make these comments?

Would love to agree with him, as they are the best option for sending the army back to barracks or at least shaming them.   When a certain 90 year old starts to really get nervous, you will know the old thug was right.   My guess is the election will resemble something like that of Cambodia, slightly better directed and more glossy, but a sham.  If the army takes a second defeat at the hands of the PTP,  they will see their power seriously marginalized. 

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Prayut and Prawit are the only people on the planet who could make Chalerm look good.

Man-O-Man we live in an...Ahem... Er... interesting time and place...

Obviously you know, and I'm not doubting in any way, that 

'May you live in interesting times' is an ancient Chinese curse.

??

I find the whole situation interesting. 

I really, honestly, have no thoughts, ideas on politics.

Much more important things to think about, like my two dogs who love each other very much but I can't put their food bowls close together when I'm feeding them otherwise it ends up with blood and snot all over the place. I can't try to get them apart or it ends up with some of my blood in the mix, but we still all love each other at the end.

As Greavsie used to say 'it's a funny old game, isnt it'

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I find the whole situation interesting. 

I really, honestly, have no thoughts, ideas on politics.

Much more important things to think about, like my two dogs who love each other very much but I can't put their food bowls close together when I'm feeding them otherwise it ends up with blood and snot all over the place. I can't try to get them apart or it ends up with some of my blood in the mix, but we still all love each other at the end.

As Greavsie used to say 'it's a funny old game, isnt it'

Bad tempered dogs?

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

And we all asume that it´s clear they will be allowed as a party without illegal influences? 

Asumptions without a rock solid foundation, is the giant mother of all F-ups!

I was just out cycling and a thought occurred to me; Chalerm is deeply disliked and so were other politicians.

Let me ask a question; Chalerm, Suthep and Prawit are all number 2's (:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:)...er... second in command of their various governments, but which is/was the worst? I wouldn't want any of them at my dinner table, but I think Prawit is the absolute worst, followed by Suthep, then Chalerm.

Why? I am a believer in the people's right to choose their leadership and the ideals of Democracy; of the three, Prawit has done the most to damage those, followed by Suthep and then a distance off, Chalerm.

Any one disagree?

something I compiled a while ago:

Thai politics has been the unwitting host of an unforgettable cast of characters

this is a (not so) comprehensive ranking list of memorable, extraordinary (Ex-) Thai Cabinet Members, each a mental giant and paragon of virtue, leaders by example who all should be declared National Treasures, feel free to comment, amend, disagree, or make your own...

1) Chalerm Yubamrung: butt-grabber, earache medicine over-indulger, pink Bentley driver, doting father to murderous son, drunk lawyer and ex-police captain, 7-day problem solver. Health Minister, Interior Minister, Justice Minister, Deputy Prime Minister, Labor Minister, a true over-achiever by self-proclamation - he is, and always will be number 1

2) Plodprasop Suraswadi: "push the river with a thousand boats" (make sure they all face upriver!), 'nuff said - 2nd place goes to this Minister of Science and Technology for his brilliance worthy a Nobel Prize in Physics

3) Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul: maverick promoter of Destination Thailand, creator of such irresistible attractions as "find the Doraimon on your smart-phone and get killed by accident"and Durian KitKat yummy!, Pattaya face lifter, dextrous slinger of slogans and numbers, a trend-setter who made Botox unnecessary just by the sheer force of pulling her hair back. Minister for Tourism and Sports - a shared 2nd place with "The Plod" (may they meet and have offspring for the future of Thailand)

4) Yingluck Shinawatra: naivite incorporate (she is actually a natural blonde), likes rice and mushrooms, shopper par excellence, cries a lot and thanks three times, Master's Degree in Administration from Kentucky State University with unrivaled English language skills. Prime Minister by cloning - she gets the Bronze medal (may it not weigh her down)

5) Taksin Shinawatra: killer of drug addicts, billionaire, doctorate in cloning, resident of Dubai and citizen of Thailand/Nicaragua/Montengro/Uganda/Congo and Mars, fan of the Olympics, Ex-police Lt Col, unrivaled artist of twisting, bending, torquing, breaking a country's laws to benefit his bank accounts. Prime Minister by vote-buying - he is on 4th place because he is old news

6) Suthep Thaugsuban: demagogue, used-car-salesman, monk. Deputy Prime Minister - 5th place and don't come back for more

7) Abhisit Vejjajiva: lukewarm has-been pretty boy, bland, boring, predictable, weak. Prime Minister - also ran but did not place 

33 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

something I compiled a while ago:

Thai politics has been the unwitting host of an unforgettable cast of characters

this is a (not so) comprehensive ranking list of memorable, extraordinary (Ex-) Thai Cabinet Members, each a mental giant and paragon of virtue, leaders by example who all should be declared National Treasures, feel free to comment, amend, disagree, or make your own...

1) Chalerm Yubamrung: butt-grabber, earache medicine over-indulger, pink Bentley driver, doting father to murderous son, drunk lawyer and ex-police captain, 7-day problem solver. Health Minister, Interior Minister, Justice Minister, Deputy Prime Minister, Labor Minister, a true over-achiever by self-proclamation - he is, and always will be number 1

2) Plodprasop Suraswadi: "push the river with a thousand boats" (make sure they all face upriver!), 'nuff said - 2nd place goes to this Minister of Science and Technology for his brilliance worthy a Nobel Prize in Physics

3) Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul: maverick promoter of Destination Thailand, creator of such irresistible attractions as "find the Doraimon on your smart-phone and get killed by accident"and Durian KitKat yummy!, Pattaya face lifter, dextrous slinger of slogans and numbers, a trend-setter who made Botox unnecessary just by the sheer force of pulling her hair back. Minister for Tourism and Sports - a shared 2nd place with "The Plod" (may they meet and have offspring for the future of Thailand)

4) Yingluck Shinawatra: naivite incorporate (she is actually a natural blonde), likes rice and mushrooms, shopper par excellence, cries a lot and thanks three times, Master's Degree in Administration from Kentucky State University with unrivaled English language skills. Prime Minister by cloning - she gets the Bronze medal (may it not weigh her down)

5) Taksin Shinawatra: killer of drug addicts, billionaire, doctorate in cloning, resident of Dubai and citizen of Thailand/Nicaragua/Montengro/Uganda/Congo and Mars, fan of the Olympics, Ex-police Lt Col, unrivaled artist of twisting, bending, torquing, breaking a country's laws to benefit his bank accounts. Prime Minister by vote-buying - he is on 4th place because he is old news

6) Suthep Thaugsuban: demagogue, used-car-salesman, monk. Deputy Prime Minister - 5th place and don't come back for more

7) Abhisit Vejjajiva: lukewarm has-been pretty boy, bland, boring, predictable, weak. Prime Minister - also ran but did not place 

Agree with the list although you've left a few out, not so sure about the order though....

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Was Chalerm sober when he make these comments?

Let's wait for the moment he retracts the statement, blaming his remarks on an overdose of ear medicine, and the constant noise of boat propellers in his head, pushing floodwater downstream. Regarding a possible future position in government, his admirers hope he is fit enough, and regained the ability to take off his shoes without assistance.

4d4f3d01-5610-4326-8240-1ed9092a040b_zps

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I was just out cycling and a thought occurred to me; Chalerm is deeply disliked and so were other politicians.

Let me ask a question; Chalerm, Suthep and Prawit are all number 2's (:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:)...er... second in command of their various governments, but which is/was the worst? I wouldn't want any of them at my dinner table, but I think Prawit is the absolute worst, followed by Suthep, then Chalerm.

Why? I am a believer in the people's right to choose their leadership and the ideals of Democracy; of the three, Prawit has done the most to damage those, followed by Suthep and then a distance off, Chalerm.

Any one disagree?

Right.. because you dislike the junta.. but this guy.. Charlem has made a murder go away for his son... I doubt it could get much worse.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Any one disagree?

Prawit gets my vote for the worst. Not only being the only non elected, he obtained power through might. He is also despicably corrupted and will not be investigated because of crony corruption agencies. Others especially those political enemies don't get those easy passes. He is also protected by his big brother, unfair laws, intimidation and self written amnesty. He has no peers. 

39 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Agree with the list although you've left a few out, not so sure about the order though....

Regarding:   2) Plodprasop Suraswadi: "push the river with a thousand boats" (make sure they all face upriver!), 'nuff said - 2nd place goes to this Minister of Science and Technology for his brilliance worthy a Nobel Prize in Physics.

Please add: utterly arrogant and rude towards the poorer folks, runs environmental enquiries by invitation, public, questions, comments not allowed...

38 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Let's wait for the moment he retracts the statement, blaming his remarks on an overdose of ear medicine, and the constant noise of boat propellers in his head, pushing floodwater downstream. Regarding a possible future position in government, his admirers hope he is fit enough, and regained the ability to take off his shoes without assistance.

4d4f3d01-5610-4326-8240-1ed9092a040b_zps

Some may remember when he attended a regional conference in Kuala Lumpur, he was so drunk he could barely talk and could hardly walk. All shown in photos and video shared in news service across the region.

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

Right.. because you dislike the junta.. but this guy.. Charlem has made a murder go away for his son... I doubt it could get much worse.

The junta is full of thugs and this man is a thug.  This is will be the cycle until decency prevails, thug on thug.  If you want an election, people like Charlem are the thugs you want.    

16 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Exactly ! Prayut is scared as a bucket of doo doo that that is exactly what will happen. Lets hope all the Issan conscripts are given a free right to vote.

And the country?

Back in stupor?

Back in strife and unrest?

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The junta is full of thugs and this man is a thug.  This is will be the cycle until decency prevails, thug on thug.  If you want an election, people like Charlem are the thugs you want.    

This man is worse than anything the junta has to offer, because I have not seen any junta idiots make a murder go away.. Come on his son shot a guy in plain sight of others and Charlem made it go away. Murder ranks higher in my book then anything. 

Not saying that the others are angels.. they are thugs too but not nearly as bad as Charlem. Corruption wise they might all be the same... but this is just even worse. 

As for intimidation.. i can recall Charlem doing a lot of that too when the people came out to protest against YL.. not going after the bombers at all telling them he could not protect them.. of course not it was the armed wing of the PTP that did the killing.. he would never go after those.

43 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Some may remember when he attended a regional conference in Kuala Lumpur, he was so drunk he could barely talk and could hardly walk. All shown in photos and video shared in news service across the region.

My archive is well equipped. A little bit off the protocol for the visit of a DPM in a muslim country...

chalerm_malaysia%201_zpsd3dhxc9b.jpg

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

This man is worse than anything the junta has to offer, because I have not seen any junta idiots make a murder go away.. Come on his son shot a guy in plain sight of others and Charlem made it go away. Murder ranks higher in my book then anything. 

Not saying that the others are angels.. they are thugs too but not nearly as bad as Charlem. Corruption wise they might all be the same... but this is just even worse. 

As for intimidation.. i can recall Charlem doing a lot of that too when the people came out to protest against YL.. not going after the bombers at all telling them he could not protect them.. of course not it was the armed wing of the PTP that did the killing.. he would never go after those.

He's no angel but who took over a country?  how many have disappeared?  how many 'mysteriously' hanged themselves in jails?  your view of history is totally biased.

Archived