Travel Insurance for 84 Year Old

I wish I could give any suggestions. My Father after about 70 found it impossible to get travel insurance, at least at a price that didn't require taking a second mortgage.

With older folks as well be cautious on making sure you declare any pre existing conditions, since as we all know insurance companies are quick to take your money, but will find any excuse to squirm out of paying

There are multiple options available online. Cost depends upon legal residence, but I see that Allianz prices out for 3 weeks $480-$755 depending on limits selected. One click search.

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I wish I could give any suggestions. My Father after about 70 found it impossible to get travel insurance, at least at a price that didn't require taking a second mortgage.

With older folks as well be cautious on making sure you declare any pre existing conditions, since as we all know insurance companies are quick to take your money, but will find any excuse to squirm out of paying

Factually  incorrect.

Travel insurance is available and  the cost reflects the risk being transferred. If the traveler cannot afford the coevrage, then the traveler cannot afford the cost of sickness or injury and should not travel.

The insurer does not find any excuse to squirm out of paying. Rather it applies the contract wording. Pre-existing conditions can be  covered if the medical illness is stable and meets some common sense conditions. Insurance isn't a lottery.

Travel health insurance for those 80+ is available but  limited to a maximum benefit of US $20,000. 

How long is she going to be in Thailand...you stated 3 weeks.

If she has a Medicare Advantage health policy in the US it very well may cover her during her travel outside the US. And with traditional Medicare she may be covered for life threatening emergencies during the trip...also look at her Medicare Supplement policy to see if it covers her for the visit.

Both scenarios would require prepayment of medical care costs with her filing for reimbursement upon her return to the US.

Good luck...

Tj

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Travel insurance is affordable for those in their 70's. Its those 80+ which becomes a real challenge to find affordable policies.

Tj

2 hours ago, travelerjim said:

If she has a Medicare Advantage health policy in the US it very well may cover her during her travel outside the US.

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan and want to travel outside the U.S., you might want to ask the plan representative if the plan offers “Worldwide Emergency/Urgent Coverage.” This is emergency or urgent medical care received overseas.

Six Medicare Supplement plans, labeled plans C, D, F, G, M and N, may cover some of your out-of-pocket covered emergency care costs during overseas travel. Generally this medical care must start within 60 days of leaving the United States.

https://medicare.com/medicare-advantage/does-medicare-advantage-cover-overseas-travel/

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

There are multiple options available online. Cost depends upon legal residence, but I see that Allianz prices out for 3 weeks $480-$755 depending on limits selected. One click search.

Factually  incorrect.

Travel insurance is available and  the cost reflects the risk being transferred. If the traveler cannot afford the coevrage, then the traveler cannot afford the cost of sickness or injury and should not travel.

The insurer does not find any excuse to squirm out of paying. Rather it applies the contract wording. Pre-existing conditions can be  covered if the medical illness is stable and meets some common sense conditions. Insurance isn't a lottery.

Well, if you’re old, but still in fairly good health, some of us are left with a choice if we aren’t well off with a fat wallet and big bank account like some here.

Hey....those of us with less do apologise....sorry we aren’t in a higher upper class. 

We can stay at home and not travel and end up dying without seeing other countries because we can’t afford to both travel and buy pricy insurance from companies eager to soak us for suitcases full of cash.

Or we can make sure we have all our travel vaccines and take care while travelling, and take a chance. 

I’d rather see some of the world, take my chances, and if something goes drastically wrong,....well... at least I got to travel and can die knowing that yes.....I DID live an adventure and see and live in some of the world with a different culture. I DID see for myself some of the places I only read and dreamed about when I was a kid. 

No regrets ! !

My mother has been coming to Thailand for 3 months every year.  She's now 93 and until she hit 80 she had travel insurance (including medical cover) although at a quite high premium. Since passing 80, she's tried, I've spent hours trying and others have tried to help.  We've all found it quite impossible.  So now she is forced to travel without insurance.  So far, so good!

26 minutes ago, HHTel said:

My mother has been coming to Thailand for 3 months every year.  She's now 93 and until she hit 80 she had travel insurance (including medical cover) although at a quite high premium. Since passing 80, she's tried, I've spent hours trying and others have tried to help.  We've all found it quite impossible.  So now she is forced to travel without insurance.  So far, so good!

Yes there are times when you have to take some chances in life, good luck to her.

AIG travel guard offers travel insurance up to age 85, not expensive, but I think you have to be resident in Thailand, worth checking though.

I have used travel guard for many years but as I will be turning 85 in January I too will be in a quandry as to whether or not to travel without insurance.  Never made a claim up to now but you know, sod's law.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:50 AM, Srikcir said:

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan and want to travel outside the U.S., you might want to ask the plan representative if the plan offers “Worldwide Emergency/Urgent Coverage.” This is emergency or urgent medical care received overseas.

Six Medicare Supplement plans, labeled plans C, D, F, G, M and N, may cover some of your out-of-pocket covered emergency care costs during overseas travel. Generally this medical care must start within 60 days of leaving the United States.

https://medicare.com/medicare-advantage/does-medicare-advantage-cover-overseas-travel/

Even if she has Medicare Advantage it doesn't include bringing her home. I forget the term (Medical Evacuation?).

My bro-in-law had an incident in Italy, the travel insurance took care of the ambulance, the hospital, his flight home in first class and PE for my sister. Also the hospitalization in the States. $26,000 covered.

Bbest already suggested to check out the option of taking a Gold or Platinum Visa or MasterCard.  In many cases they include travel insurance, but conditions vary per issuing bank, and in some cases there are age restrictions on the travel insurance provided.  But for sure it is worth checking this out.

Archived