Protein Shakes..I'm lost!!

glockdoc

Where in Pattaya can I find good quality, affordable protein shake mixes?

In a perfect world, where can I get Shakeology or Isegenix? I brought some back with me, but I am down to my last few. 

I have popped into a couple of stores but they either only carried 1 brand or the staff was clueless. I know there has to be somewhere in town to go that has a good selection and an above average staff....too many buff guys wandering around! LOL

I am not looking to bulk up so much as looking for meal replacements while I continue to get in shape and lose the 52yr old gut. 

Thanks in advance!

Buy a blender and make them yourself. I use straight up natural WPC (no flavouring or sweeteners) you can buy from Club Protein for about 850 baht per kilo (includes shipping). I blend in milk with bananas, frozen blueberries and other fruit and toss in a raw egg too.

4 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

7-11has some made by Meiji.

Meiji is a very reputable Japanese beverage company.

Good choice. I always have them in the fridge. The coffee and vanilla flavours have 25 grams of protein and are low sugar. The chocolate is far too sweet. They have a new zero sugar plain milk option now too. For the amount of protein you get, it's still cheaper to make your own shakes, but I have them as an additional source for when I need a quick protein hit and can't be bothered getting the blender out.

For a price comparison. 800 grams of protein from 1kg of WPC (80% protein) = 850 baht. 800 grams of protein from Meiji drinks = 1578 baht.

• 4 weeks later...

In Hanoi, I took my 5 lbs bottle of quality iso whey protein to a shake shop and paid for milk, ice and fruit. Check the ingredients and weep. Most of the stuff is loaded with JUNK, especially when "MASS" is written on the bottle.

Try to talk to a shake shop. Mine was not busy at all. she would make like 2-3 shakes and it was a win-win. Delicious, affordable and I had control over the ingredients.

On 9/13/2018 at 4:17 AM, BurgerGung said:

In Hanoi, I took my 5 lbs bottle of quality iso whey protein to a shake shop and paid for milk, ice and fruit. Check the ingredients and weep. Most of the stuff is loaded with JUNK, especially when "MASS" is written on the bottle.

Try to talk to a shake shop. Mine was not busy at all. she would make like 2-3 shakes and it was a win-win. Delicious, affordable and I had control over the ingredients.

Mass shakes have always been a stupid idea, loaded with carbs and simple sugars, designed to help fatten up suckers. A lot of young bodybuilders think if they're getting heavier on the scale they are looking better. Just buy straight WPC or WPI and be done with all the extra crap. If you want to add some extra protein just drop in a raw egg or two. It improves the mouthfeel of protein shakes.

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, tropo said:

Buy a blender and make them yourself. I use straight up natural WPC (no flavouring or sweeteners) you can buy from Club Protein for about 850 baht per kilo (includes shipping). I blend in milk with bananas, frozen blueberries and other fruit and toss in a raw egg too.

why a raw egg?

15 hours ago, eezergood said:

why a raw egg?

I already gave the reason in the post directly above yours. It improves mouthfeel. It also cuts down on foaming, so there's less air in the finished blend. I like it that way. Lately, I've started adding in Soy Protein isolate too, so there are 3 different protein types in my shake.

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

2-3 eggs a day is what you need. Some days you just eat the egg white, but eggs are superhealthy and have alot of nutrition. Egg and banana is great food for keeping fit, healthy and ready. 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-eggs

Yeah, this freaks people out that are convinced eggs are going to kill them. 2-3 eggs is only 15 - 18 grams of protein. I need between 4-6 to make a meal, and even then it's only a light meal. I only had 5 today. ????

• 2 weeks later...

I buy expired protein on Ebay in Germany... A mixer is a must. Add milk, Psyllium Husk, ice, fruit and voila, your meal replacement is going to be delicious!

Resistance training, try to really give this a go, is the way to go.

Check the ingredients. Most "protein" powders are loaded with carbs & fat and junk. And shun "Gainers" like the plague. They sprinkle a bit of protein which should also contain BCAAs by nature to the carbs they peddle. You might as well buy doughnuts in bulk 555.

4 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

I buy expired protein on Ebay in Germany... A mixer is a must. Add milk, Psyllium Husk, ice, fruit and voila, your meal replacement is going to be delicious!

Resistance training, try to really give this a go, is the way to go.

Check the ingredients. Most "protein" powders are loaded with carbs & fat and junk. And shun "Gainers" like the plague. They sprinkle a bit of protein which should also contain BCAAs by nature to the carbs they peddle. You might as well buy doughnuts in bulk 555.

Straight up whey protein without flavour or additives is becoming quite popular these days. I only use the raw WPC powder. Because it's not sweetened you can use a lot more per serve if you wish.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, tropo said:

Yeah, this freaks people out that are convinced eggs are going to kill them. 2-3 eggs is only 15 - 18 grams of protein. I need between 4-6 to make a meal, and even then it's only a light meal. I only had 5 today. ????

Good grief, I wonder what your ldl cholesterol looks like.

Do you check yours or just hope for the best?

Same question regarding salmonella?

Lots of protein options out there that don't carry those features...

11 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Good grief, I wonder what your ldl cholesterol looks like.

Do you check yours or just hope for the best?

Same question regarding salmonella?

Lots of protein options out there that don't carry those features...

Yes, your anticipated reaction was addressed by my comment "Yeah, this freaks people out that are convinced eggs are going to kill them". That comes directly from the 1970's egg paranoia. My mother would agree with you and freaks out when she sees me eating more than 1 egg.

Yes, I do have blood tests and the LDL and HDL levels are fine, but it's not the eggs that increase it (LDL, or reduce HDL) anyway. I do enjoy cakes and other unhealthy treats. I have eaten thousands of raw eggs over my lifetime and never had food poisoning from them. When I'm not eating them raw, I'm having them soft boiled or lightly fried or scrambled, which wouldn't kill salmonella bacteria if present... and if that's how you like your eggs, as most do, that wouldn't eliminate the risk. 

Here's some reading material for you:

1. People with high cholesterol live the longest.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/2015/12/27/myth-9/ (48 references to scientific studies, reports and articles). Note there's even one reference to a study done in Thailand: "Sritara P et al" in the reference list under 1.

2. Higher Cholesterol Is Associated With Longer Life. 

https://medium.com/the-mission/higher-cholesterol-is-associated-with-longer-life-b4090f28d96e (6 references)

3. Even high dairy fat consumption (butter and milk) won't increase your risk.

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/6/1041/4568638

I feel sorry for people who have had to fear eggs for their entire lifetime. What was the common mantra? Oh, yeah, no more than 3 eggs a week LOL. This was drummed into me too in the 1970s, when my father died of a heart attack at age 49.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 5:29 PM, tropo said:

Yes, your anticipated reaction was addressed by my comment "Yeah, this freaks people out that are convinced eggs are going to kill them". That comes directly from the 1970's egg paranoia. My mother would agree with you and freaks out when she sees me eating more than 1 egg.

Yes, I do have blood tests and the LDL and HDL levels are fine, but it's not the eggs that increase it (LDL, or reduce HDL) anyway. I do enjoy cakes and other unhealthy treats. I have eaten thousands of raw eggs over my lifetime and never had food poisoning from them. When I'm not eating them raw, I'm having them soft boiled or lightly fried or scrambled, which wouldn't kill salmonella bacteria if present... and if that's how you like your eggs, as most do, that wouldn't eliminate the risk. 

Here's some reading material for you:

1. People with high cholesterol live the longest.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/2015/12/27/myth-9/ (48 references to scientific studies, reports and articles). Note there's even one reference to a study done in Thailand: "Sritara P et al" in the reference list under 1.

2. Higher Cholesterol Is Associated With Longer Life. 

https://medium.com/the-mission/higher-cholesterol-is-associated-with-longer-life-b4090f28d96e (6 references)

3. Even high dairy fat consumption (butter and milk) won't increase your risk.

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/6/1041/4568638

I feel sorry for people who have had to fear eggs for their entire lifetime. What was the common mantra? Oh, yeah, no more than 3 eggs a week LOL. This was drummed into me too in the 1970s, when my father died of a heart attack at age 49.

Cholesterol is particularly important for men! I eats daily - ZERO ill effects.....

You should note though.... these Meiji drinks only contain a tiny amount of whey protein (just enough so that they can advertise it on the label). Most of it is normal milk protein - nothing wrong with that, but it is understood to be slower releasing so not as good for post work out etc .....

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, RickG16 said:

You should note though.... these Meiji drinks only contain a tiny amount of whey protein (just enough so that they can advertise it on the label). Most of it is normal milk protein - nothing wrong with that, but it is understood to be slower releasing so not as good for post work out etc .....

Seriously what you need post workout is for some people a complete science. Some say you need a fast carb (to spike insulin) combined with the whey protein otherwise it wont work.

I take whey too but don't worry too much about it. Like Tropo i take unflavored whey, though I have flavored casein for other use. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, tropo said:

Thank you, I never knew that is it better to buy Whey protein without flavor, but it's more expensive than you said it seems ?

https://www.clubproteinonline.com/en/product/whey-protein-isolate-1-kg/

But soy protein is cheaper, is it any good ?

https://www.clubproteinonline.com/en/product/soy-protein-isolate-1-kg/

can you tell me which one is the best to use ?

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, myshem said:

Thank you, I never knew that is it better to buy Whey protein without flavor, but it's more expensive than you said it seems ?

https://www.clubproteinonline.com/en/product/whey-protein-isolate-1-kg/

But soy protein is cheaper, is it any good ?

https://www.clubproteinonline.com/en/product/soy-protein-isolate-1-kg/

can you tell me which one is the best to use ?

Thanks again.

Hi,

Your looking a isolate we normally use concentrate its a bit cheaper but just as good. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Hi,

Your looking a isolate we normally use concentrate its a bit cheaper but just as good. 

Tend to disagree here - isolate has less filler & more protein, also if you have any issues with lactose whey concentrate is terrible (at least for me) 

18 hours ago, eezergood said:

Tend to disagree here - isolate has less filler & more protein, also if you have any issues with lactose whey concentrate is terrible (at least for me) 

I was looking at value for money, I have no problems with lactose most of the time. If you had then yes i would take the more concentrated stuff.

Archived