Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

Just now, wgdanson said:

And the cost of one of those dogs......

Depends on what the OP is willing to pay for personal safety. Admittedly I've never seen one in Thailand, although I have seen a couple of Rottweilers.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Depends on what the OP is willing to pay for personal safety. Admittedly I've never seen one in Thailand, although I have seen a couple of Rottweilers.

Sorry but if Colin's wife is away a times, how can a bed-ridden person look after ANY dog properly?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Get that dog to the front of the trough!

Seeing you have a bit of livestock around the property, ever considered a goose or two? They have a reputation for making a ruckus and attacking strangers. The eggs make awesome omelettes too.

Geese are fearless protectors...

• Like 2

As I gather, it is a rare occasion when OP's wife is not home overnight. I also understand, that OP has a "Thai-Family" nearby.
- Why does no Family-Member stay over on those rare occasions when the wife is not home? Strange!
Easiest solution, instead of buying guns and rocket-lauchers.
And: In case of fire, a gun won't do much good for the OP.
---------------------------------
I myself would leave any village, any province, any country, if I thaught that my personal safety depends on the amounts of firearms I have stored under my bed.
If I wanted to live in an environement like this, I would be living in the US.
Cheers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gaff said:

In your situation I would ask to my wife to talk to a cop and get his personal mobile, then every time he will show up after I call him, I would give him 1000 thb.

You can be sure to live a safer life if you know how to deal with people, and it's not so expensive, just need to be creative.

How do you know the trespasser wasn't a cop?

Well, I guess you would know if his mobile starts ringing, and he sticks around to collect the 1000 Baht.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

How do you know the trespasser wasn't a cop?

Well, I guess you would know if his mobile starts ringing, and he sticks around to collect the 1000 Baht.

How do i know the trespasser was not a cop?

Before posting that you should have read my posts on this thread, as i have clearly stated the man is known to my carer.

Just now, faraday said:

Did you sleep ok last night Colin, after Saturday nights issue?

Yes mate i had a reasonable sleep last night, not a full night as i never get that due to having to keep turning because of bedsore, but not too bad.

My wife got home around 8.30 so her being here certainly helped.

• Like 1

Certainly a difficult situation for you Colin.
Reading through this thread has brought some good suggestions up, I for one would go for the motion detect lightning to illuminate the area when anyone is around together with some audible deterrent. You could probably buy an air horn or use the emergency horn alarm on your vehicles remote ( if fitted ) until you have something more permanent in place.
Releasing the dog remotely is also an excellent idea and well worth following up.

I personally wouldn’t go for the gun idea but respect your decision if you do decide to go that route.
I can only imagine the amount of vulnerability that you feel and fully understand your concerns, my only concerns are what will happen to you if you wound or, god forbid, kill an intruder.

As for the police !!
Well I think you have already removed them from any plans for your future safety !!
Unbelievable their lack of interest in you and your family !!

I wish you all the best and hope you find some solutions to your problems asap.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2018 at 7:16 AM, BritManToo said:

Colin, you really need to be living in a more civilized area, a town with people and houses closer to you.

Your village sounds more like the wild west.

Sounds more like "The Wild North East" to me.    Not a good night for you.   I agree with the poster who said he probably knew  Mrs N was away for the night.   She will be back today so maybe she can make a report to the police and give them pictures of the guy.   OK I am an optimist!    How about printing off a couple of extra photos of him and having someone call on him to show them to him and telling him to stay away.  "You have every movement on film, inside and around the property."  Get some plastic signs from Homepro or stationers saying the same.  Maybe a dummy camera or two from KK Tuk Com. 

If he is a local unsavoury character he will know others of the same ilk and the word might get around. 

The dog probably strained something pulling to get off the chain.  But at least as an early warning system she was successful.  Well the dog has paid for itself already!    Pity it had to be so quick.

BTW We have 2 females and 4 males.  If your female is not spayed, eventually you will have puppies arrive.  Thai village dogs are as good at getting some that they shouldn't be getting, as their owners.   Contraceptive injections cost 80 baht each and last 6 months.  Put the next date in your Google calender on your phone or computer and it will tell you when to get the next one.  I just go to our vet when I am in town, tell his wife the approximate weight of the dog and go home with a (covered) disposable syringe in a plastic bag.  Sister in law & I inject the dog.  One holding one injecting.  Easy peasy.  80 baht and no consultation fee.

We had some people around the farm shed/factory on sisters property next door a few months ago.  Our dogs were going  absolutely ape-sh!t.  We phoned the police and 4 of them turned up quite promptly (for thai police) and surprisingly the dogs somehow knew exactly what they were here for.  The police split up and went around the property in different directions.  The dogs split up and went happily with each guy huffing and sniffing , watching where the police pointed their torches.  I couldn't believe it.  Don't underestimate the intelligence of an average Thai mongrel dog.  I constantly see things with ours that amaze me.  Sometimes too damn smart.

Try to forge some sort of relationship with the local police if possible.  Or trustworthy neighbours you can ring.  We have one distant nephew in our local mob but he was not on that night.   Thanks for sharing that.  Hope we can all come up with an idea or two to help make you feel more secure.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:42 AM, Crossy said:

What sort of dog do you have Colin? Teeth?

If you don't already have them some floodlights that you can work from your location may be an idea along with a nice loud siren. It's amazing how quickly intruders move on when brightly lit up with an attention-getting noise going on.

Maybe add a solenoid release to the dog chain too (I jest, but it may just be an idea).

Is your property fenced so the dog can be allowed to patrol at night, our two are always on guard at night (in partnership with the geese and guinea fowl), nothing moves without getting noticed by someone.

Best advice. Get a really big dog - a Doberman, Rottweiler or German Shepherd. The thieves will look for easier targets.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Where in any of my posts does it say i am bedridden?

I am only bedridden during the night, daytime i am around the place feeding hens, bantams, turkeys, pla duk, and 2 cows, last but not least feeding the dog.

Sorry Colin, must have got the wrong end of the stick.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:23 AM, Rc2702 said:

We hire a car when we visit some of my my Mrs family. We leave our car at home and pretend the hire car is our car. We also live in kranuan according to some of her family. 30 miles from where we live.

Trusting fellow.  Very wise knowing some folk here.  

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

I fully agree with you about dogs, problem is we only got the dog after the murder across the road, she is still young and still learning.

She did her job last night until the bar steward attacked her.

She'd doing very well for a new and young dog.     AND she willl remember him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I didn't read all the posts, because I found the thread unsettling.

If not already suggested, consideration should be given to hiring someone to act as  night watchman on such occasions.  Even if the  guy sits in a chair and sleeps, the dog barking would surely wake him into action.  300 baht for a night's work of sleeping is a dream job for someone in Issan.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

One things for sure, there are three things that are difficult to deal with, a woman scorned, a drunk and a nutter..Seems in Colin's case we have a near happy ending though..

Who remembers those air horns, had an air canister, made an horrendous noise that can be heard for hundreds of yards and would startle anyone naughty fooling around outside and other locals would hear it....

• Like 1