Huge increase in fines and jail terms for drivers without licenses

webfact

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, travelling wilbury said:

Just another way of putting up police back pocket pay........

And what is the point of "buying" a licence anyway did anyone ever meet a thai who could drive ?

Yes this is a promotion for police to make money. What a country a disposable operation 

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I would guess that renters would add a "deposit" to the vehicle hire cost to cover this, if they knew the person renting had no licence?

I don't know for certain, but that would seem the way around it to me.

talking bikes  2500 for the month plus 1000 deposit  if it gets impounded the renter has to pay 3000 to get back   so he is either 500 baht up or 2000 baht down, ive never worked out how thais do the financial thing. 555

2 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

talking bikes  2500 for the month plus 1000 deposit  if it gets impounded the renter has to pay 3000 to get back   so he is either 500 baht up or 2000 baht down, ive never worked out how thais do the financial thing. 555

A lot easier than you might think. Renter is liable for all costs.

if impounded, renters problem to have it taken out and all fees.

failure to do so may land you in the cells 

5 minutes ago, travelling wilbury said:

That is thailand .....

my daughter is at uni on her masters degree in law   preparing to become a judge she openly admits of the 17000 thai laws barely 500 (on a good day ) are policed with any effort 

The rest are selectively enforced when required to make a political point, or used to prosecute a scapegoat.

Since when was the fine for invalid or no licence set at 1000 Baht???

It has always been 400 Baht, certainly is up here in Chiang Mai.

Whilst the idea of increasing fines etc. is a step in the right direction, but as usual the brain dead retards always end up going way over the top - 50K and 3 months jail! Really?  They will end up spending more time in clink and fined more than rapists and murderers. I can never figure these morons out, they can never ever just do a simple job correctly in the first place. Idiots.

18 minutes ago, BestB said:

bit of confusion here   --    renter , the person who rents you the bike

Lol, renter the person who rents the bike from you .

jus like when you rent a condo you are a renter and owner is a landlord ?

23 minutes ago, BestB said:

Renter - One who owns or controls property and rents that property to another.

Rentee - One who pays to rent property.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Anger is not your friend in Thailand. I now regard Thailand as my country, my home. I have learned to live with, nay appreciate, it's little foibles.

Ah, but the angry farang raging against the Thai at the side of the road will provide plenty of entertainment for passers by, irrespective of their (the passers' by) ethnicity...

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Renter - One who owns or controls property and rents that property to another.

Rentee - One who pays to rent property.

Not that we need English lessons but renter has 3 meanings and I meant renter person who rented 

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

That will slow the bike rental people down a bit. I suspect very few will want to rent a bike with no license with those sort of fines.

Don't the police themselves not run or own some of these motorbike rental places?

Prayut said he was going to solve the traffic problem within 3 months or was it 6 months. Anyway if they implemented these new laws there certainly won't be any traffic problem. The economy will grind to a halt that's for sure.

Wake me up I think I'm dreaming?

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Lol, renter the person who rents the bike from you .

jus like when you rent a condo you are a renter and owner is a landlord ?

when i said renter in the above post i should have said - aka " landlord "  thats what i meant, and that is what he told me.  hence my reference to the financial side  --  do thais look at it as lost 2000 in income or do they look at it that they are 500 up over the rental, that is what i have never understood. 555 

2 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Prayut said he was going to solve the traffic problem within 3 months or was it 6 months. Anyway if they implemented these new laws there certainly won't be any traffic problem. The economy will grind to a halt that's for sure.

Wake me up I think I'm dreaming?

6 months - that was Prayut's nemesis - Thaksin.

3 months - that was fake news - the the PM never said that. The PM's spokesman told us so.

Since the new police chief has taken over in January, the police have been out every day in Chiangmai. It looks like the police have bought an orange Humvee, thanks to the daily collections since January.  They rarely stop people in cars and never stop tuk-tuks or songthaews. Mostly they stop young Thais, and backpacker farangs. 50,000 baht seems like a huge fine to me and a jail term, outrageous. 

21 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

when i said renter in the above post i should have said - aka " landlord "  thats what i meant, and that is what he told me.  hence my reference to the financial side  --  do thais look at it as lost 2000 in income or do they look at it that they are 500 up over the rental, that is what i have never understood. 555 

Oh got ya???

Why only target Thais.

start targeting some of these farang that ride motorbikes without licenses, crash them expect everyone else, via sob  stories in the soft media and gofundme,  to pay all the bills with some left over for another holiday.

end of rant

Now it needs to be possible to differentiate the driving skills of someone with a licence against someone who hasn't.  At the moment, driving is the same whether you have a licence or not.  That would mean devising a meaningful driving test.  Will that happen..... I doubt it.

Typical of the police mentality here.  Fine for incomplete paperwork rather than the actual 'crime'!

40 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

6 months - that was Prayut's nemesis - Thaksin.

3 months - that was fake news - the the PM never said that. The PM's spokesman told us so.

And the paymaster also announced, when he was Pm, that he would fix Bangkok's traffic problems in 6 months.

At 6 months not much had been achieved and the paymaster quietly handed the job to someone else.

Archived