Huge increase in fines and jail terms for drivers without licenses

webfact

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Excellent. Now all that needs to be done is to actually implement and enforce this. Oh, and for more than three days please!

how they going to enforce this.....NOT enough police to check.

And as people say more and possibly bigger handouts to the B I B!!!

10 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Now to enact the changes then to find someone to enforce them. (or will it simply open the door for more lucrative handouts to the BIB!)

I wish the bib would go to the visit road markets on phuket every day and catch hundreds but they only interested in tourist road blocks but to be fair they do set up in phuket town sometimes. I also want to see road block when leaving or arriving phuket regarding truck tyres and how bald they are.

11 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

this could work out to be a nice earner for the boys

Salary creep has just gone through the roof. 

50/50 on a 2000 baht is nice, a few times a week.

50/50 on a 50,000 baht fine is. 

Early retirement...

Happy days. 

3 hours ago, cookieqw said:
4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Doubt it, not unless the law makes the vehicles owners responsible for checking renters licences, (and that would not prevent vehicles being rented by 3rd parties).

Should do as in the UK, "Impound" for no insurance (if driver licence not valid then insurance not valid).

Having to pay fine to collect rented vehicles from the police compound will hit the renters hard.

they have to do that now   3000baht to collect

Up it to 10,000Baht, that should make anyone who lends or rent out their bikes/cars/trucks think twice.

I truly hope that this works. I know that the chances are not great. I know it may all disappear in a few weeks. But just maybe, someone see's the problems with driving and wants to make a start at fixing it. I know, I'm dreaming. 

4 hours ago, donmeurett said:

How about fines for those who rent cars or motorcycles to those who do not have a drivers license.? Who determines what the fine is? The cop? it says up to 50,000 Baht. 

i hope ALL whitout drive licence or drunk driver, police take off car/bike and not give back, and fee need be all thai and falang 50 000 B and if rent bike falang need pay rent shop all bike too because police not give bike back, then have good. and all bikes/cars police auction only drive licensed peoples can buy. then have good and smart system.

Maybe they should change the way the fine is paid.. ie

paid to a central government office within a certain period of time

NOT to a police officer or police station !!

Not saying you can't trust the local BiB to handover the cash !!

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most of the people on Thai roads are hard sloggers with a menial job for a life time and are so poor and don't even have a pot to piss in, good luck getting 50K and any other imaginary amount from those folks....

Exactly. Remember when they tried to implement enforcement of the "no people riding in back of pick up trucks" fiasco?

Same thing will happen here..

I don't think a driving license in Thailand means u can drive safely. 

So what difference does it make if everyone has a license or not??

The license test is basically a glorified parking test. Means u can park. That's it.

They need to increase fines for reckless driving, drunk driving and speeding.

Then if they could set up a camera system everywhere that catches all the illegal lane changing I would be very happy.

If the authorities are serious, they need to do a few more things. For starters increase police pay so they are less likely to take bribes, create an independent Highway Patrol then send the whole lot back to the academy for retraining in traffic safety. This will take years and I wonder if with all the expansion of the rails systems and plans to create high speed railroad this will only happen when pigs fly.

16 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Now to enact the changes then to find someone to enforce them. (or will it simply open the door for more lucrative handouts to the BIB!)

The poor and dark skinned will have to pay. The wealthy and those with military and police connections will go unpunished. 

45 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

If the authorities are serious, they need to do a few more things. For starters increase police pay so they are less likely to take bribes

5555+

For sure, it will be as efficient as saving poverty in the world...

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Um but why don't people just get a licence, or is that too simple a solution?  My daughter came over from the UK for an extended holiday and had a licence within a week, including the training.  Its not hard to do. 

There are many farangs here who dont believe the rules should apply to them, getting a Thai DL is so very straight forward and cheap.

One should applaud the authrorites for even making these changes and making the penalties meaningful, and one hopes this translates to improved safety on the roads generally, and gets a lot of those dangerous old farang pensioners off the roads, who are obviously riding with no license and cant really ride their motocys properly, and have even seen them riding with kids on bikes, no helmets etc...and given they are farangs and should know better, one can only hope the police throw the book at these people 

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Harsher penalties than in Australia.  I hope the motorcycle rental people do the decent thing and tell their tourist customers if they don't have a motorcycle licence they face imprisonment and huge fines.

Why should they ? Buyer beware...

9 hours ago, hobz said:

I don't think a driving license in Thailand means u can drive safely. 

So what difference does it make if everyone has a license or not??

The license test is basically a glorified parking test. Means u can park. That's it.

They need to increase fines for reckless driving, drunk driving and speeding.

Then if they could set up a camera system everywhere that catches all the illegal lane changing I would be very happy.

Do you have a Thai license or have ever visited a Thai DMV ?...dont tell porkies now...times have changed in getting a Thai DL, not so easy as even 15 years ago when i got mine...

16 hours ago, mehrdad said:

And what about peoples with buying a drivers licenses????? 

I know some people with buy a driver license about 2000 or only 3000 baht!!!! And i know one people ,,buy a driver license with one bottle whisky !!!! ?

Well they are idiots considering a real one only cost THB 500, and further i dont believe you 2k 3k now down to a bottle of whiskey, you do know the whole license thing is centralised these days with a credit card type license, which goes through multiple hands, and checks before it is put in the computer..

Now i am not suggesting buying a license these days is not possible, it most likey is, but it will certainly cost a lot more than a bottle of whiskey or thb 2000 to make happen..as it would involve bribing multiple parties...so calling BS on your little story 

Archived