Woman dies from centipede bite, shrugged off warning to avoid it

webfact

Woman dies from centipede bite, shrugged off warning to avoid it

By The Nation

news75964_855.jpg

Picture: Channel 3

A 69-year-old woman has died after being bitten by a centipede in Chanthaburi's Klung district.

Thanet Puapae said on Tuesday at the funeral of his mother, Samnao Puapae, that she had died the day before of complications caused by the centipede bite.

Thanet said his mother was selling kanom chin (Thai-style curried noodles) in a local temple on Sunday morning when the temple's compound was flooded and a customer noticed a centipede near her feet.

The customer warned her but Samnao continued to work. Later, she became dizzy and went home to rest.

Later she became feverish, so her family took her to the district hospital, where a doctor found a bite mark on her left ankle.

After her fever subsided, Samnao checked out and returned home but her conditioned worsened and her leg turned black.

She lost consciousness just as the family was about to take her back to hospital so the family called for an ambulance but she had no pulse and the emergency service could not revive her.

Thanet said a doctor had told the family his mother died from a severe blood infection caused by the centipede’s bite.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352614

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-21

As I once lifted a wet rug from a balcony to dry it only to find an 8 inch monster black one hanging off my finger I can tell you it hurts along with the two injections in either arse cheek that followed and the now sausage sized finger. She probably had some kind of toxic shock like some people have to a bee sting .

The surprising bit is a centipede can usually clear a room faster than a lottery win here seen it a couple of times RIP? 

Gotten bitten/stung by one back in Aussie hurt like hell hand swelled up a bit. In New guinea on one of our gold prospecting forays, my fellow team member sustained bite on todger,local women gasped in amazement for two days every time we entered a village at the size of his bulge under the fatigues he was wearing,and those chaps out there are well hung,poor bugger couldn,t do anything of course eventually okay,recurring nightmares a problem for some time though.

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Gotten bitten/stung by one back in Aussie hurt like hell hand swelled up a bit. In New guinea on one of our gold prospecting forays, my fellow team member sustained bite on todger,local women gasped in amazement for two days every time we entered a village at the size of his bulge under the fatigues he was wearing,and those chaps out there are well hung,poor bugger couldn,t do anything of course eventually okay,recurring nightmares a problem for some time though.

Doctor please ....take away the pain and leave the swelling ?

Had one in the house for about a minute.  The cat was playing with it.  I warned the cat off.  Before I could get something to smack the centipede our cat had already ripped it's head off.

Family Cat - 1

Centipede - 0

Sometimes the story turns out Ok.  Not something I'd want to have bite me though.  However in our house if it's on the floor and moves -- it's prey. 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

more likely the dirty water getting into the wound and causing a severe infection with a contribution from the sting venom,  getting stung by these insects is generally not life threatening

Some people are allergic to the venom which can cause complications. Dogs bitten by these giant centipedes have been known to die within a few hours. 

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The surprising bit is a centipede can usually clear a room faster than a lottery win here seen it a couple of times

This is my experience too. Mrs Nan and I were clearing an old planter beside the driveway on a rental property and four of five of these buggers were running about. I, lightly attired since it's Thailand, was warned to vacate the scene while she, wrapped up like the typical Isaan garden Ninja, laid into them with her trowel and fork where she didn't stop until they were literally smashed to bits.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

Is that the only word you know, nothing surprises me any more lol

Maybe he’s just incredulous that someone would suggest she succumbed to a water-born infection, that has never killed anyone within 24 hours, right after she was bitten by a centipede where there are documented cases of that happening. Seems more likely she had a severe allergic reaction and died from anaphylaxis. 

Personally, I would have asked. <deleted>?

8 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

hurt like hell

Fortunately I was not caught so far although had some near misses.

A mate told me that it hurt like mad ("I could cut off my foot").

So the story surprises me.

If she got a full bite she could hardly just continue?

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Fortunately I was not caught so far although had some near misses.

A mate told me that it hurt like mad ("I could cut off my foot").

So the story surprises me.

If she got a full bite she could hardly just continue?

Maybe she's made a whole pot of kanom chin, it's still morning, this is her sole income and she has bills to pay.

Archived