Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

webfact

Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A senior government spokesman has said that the cabinet agrees with the idea of separating big bikes from other motorcycles.

A proposal has come in that suggests in order to lessen road accidents those riding big bikes should be treated differently, reported Daily News.

They quoted Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnert as saying that the government agrees with adjusting a 2005 law.

Speaking after a ministerial level meeting in Chumpon he said that in future those applying for licenses who wanted to ride big bikes would have to take a separate test and have a separate license.

Daily News did not report exactly what a "big bike" constitutes, notes Thaivisa.

Thus whether it would refer to, say, 250cc up or perhaps 400cc up was not announced.

Many posters on a recent Thaivisa thread following an accident that killed an 18 year old riding a 650cc bike suggested there should be different rules and regulations for those riding powerful machines as in other countries.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-22

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

Why not introduce a graded licence system by age and engine size?  For example, a 16 year old can have a motorcycle with no more than 125 cc engine.  At age 16 the engine size can be increased depending on the number of points available on the licence and if the rider has had any offences.  Works in other countries and with the recent suggestions the BIB are about to have new fines and other conditions introduced it could possibly work here, if the general public, especially the parents and BIB gave it a fair go.

Two things that should be introduced are, proper policing and not just "letting offenders" go with a slap on the wrist, and proper licencing and testing procedures.  Currently the testing system is a joke.  None of the Thais I have talked to know anything about stopping distances in relationship to speed and weather conditions, e.g. 50 km/h in torrential rain, etc.

'nuf sed

2 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

That comment shows that you know absolutely zip about bikes.  You going to say my son's 150cc PCX is a "Big Bike"?  What a joke.  

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

That comment shows that you know absolutely zip about bikes.  You going to say my son's 150cc PCX is a "Big Bike"?  What a joke.  

Goes to show you know nothing about what "" around a word mean...i made a suggestion thats all...ok mr smarty pants one give a definition of a "big bike"...and what has your son got to do with this.? He could be in this 30s living and home with mommy and daddy...relevance please ? 

14 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Why not introduce a graded licence system by age and engine size?  For example, a 16 year old can have a motorcycle with no more than 125 cc engine.  At age 16 the engine size can be increased depending on the number of points available on the licence and if the rider has had any offences.  Works in other countries and with the recent suggestions the BIB are about to have new fines and other conditions introduced it could possibly work here, if the general public, especially the parents and BIB gave it a fair go.

Two things that should be introduced are, proper policing and not just "letting offenders" go with a slap on the wrist, and proper licencing and testing procedures.  Currently the testing system is a joke.  None of the Thais I have talked to know anything about stopping distances in relationship to speed and weather conditions, e.g. 50 km/h in torrential rain, etc.

'nuf sed

The UK has about 4 different license types which involve the age of the person and the maximum cc or HP of the bike, and if memory serves 125cc features as a transition from "scooter" to " bike"

10 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Goes to show you know nothing about what "" around a word mean...i made a suggestion thats all...ok mr smarty pants one give a definition of a "big bike"...and what has your son got to do with this.? He could be in this 30s living and home with mommy and daddy...relevance please ? 

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting EVERY state in the Continental U.S.  So I would venture that I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than you do.  

However my comment to your post was that anything above 125 cc be considered a "big bike", which is laughable to anyone who knows anything about bikes.  In the U.S. a 300cc bike is considered a "starter bike".  

"Thus whether it would refer to, say, 250cc up or perhaps 400cc up was not announced."

Because, no one who rides a motorbike under 250cc ever gets killed. A license won't change a thing if the rider trusts his amulet more than he does practicing safe driving after he gets his license.

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting

And ? So whats the defintion of a big bike then ?...dont want your CV

Engine size isn't as much of a factor as it used to be.

Years ago a 125cc would max out at 60mph. It's very possible now for a 125cc to hit the 'magic ton' plus depending on state of tune.

How they can work out a system for increase in size/power isn't as easy as appears.

Edit.

Top example.

Rossi 2018 Aprila 125 cc 249kph.

Ok not your usual road bike but gives an idea.

In the past, technically the largest bike allowed on the road was 150cc as this was the largest bike manufactured in Thailand, imports were all black market and "illegal" which is why motorcycles are not allowed on the highways. 

Just now, Just1Voice said:

Big bikes START at 300cc.  Anything under that is a scooter.

Opinion ? or source please and what country as the UK rules would disagree with you and unlimited license in the UK starts at 500cc and the cut off between scooter and bike is 125cc 

8 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

And ? So whats the defintion of a big bike then ?...dont want your CV

Hard to accept your wrong.. what are your qualifications ?

Just1Voice is right.. under 300cc is a not a big bike. I have driven scooters and big bikes here. Driven anything from 100,125,155,250,400 and 650cc. I can tell you that it really starts above 250 to 300cc. your suggestion is laughable.. so tell me what is your experience. I got 8 years of driving experience here in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Opinion ? or source please and what country as the UK rules would disagree with you and unlimited license in the UK starts at 500cc and the cut off between scooter and bike is 125cc 

Yes but you can't compare the UK with Thailand.. there are not many models in between and riding bikes is far more prevalent here. In the UK they use bikes for fun.. here they use them for transport mainly and there is a far larger choice in bikes many of them a big bigger as 125 cc.  but stay under 300 cc. You should look at models available.

The fact that you compare it here with the UK says enough about your experience. How long have you lived here ?

3 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Well, the UK has their rules, just as the US, and Thailand have theirs.  Just as you have your British opinion, right or wrong, just as I have my American one, also right or wrong.  My question to you is: Do you ride?  I have a feeling you're a "side line warrior" with little to no experience, hence the ignorant comment of anything over 125cc is a "big  bike".  

I would like to see if any statistics are available as to how many 'big bikes' fatalities compare to smaller size engine bikes taking into concentration age, driving skills, environment condition such as the weather and locations of said fatalities or road accidents, of course, no such information is available anywhere, easy to just come up with a law that has no research or study done about it even that it sound appropriate and necessary...

4 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

One thing is this forum is full of people from all over the world. So their point of view is going to be different.

Someone from the USA will have a completely different experience than our friends from the UK. I had never even heard the term "Big Bike" until I came to Thailand.

And Honda, Yamaha and others (with some exceptions) use 300cc as the cut off point for selling at different dealerships what we call "scooters" in the USA and what we call "Motorcycles". Also we don't use the term "motorbike", perhaps in the UK this term is used for anything with two wheels? You can't buy a Honda Click at a Bigwing Store. So perhaps there is a 300cc line that already exists IN THAILAND. And yes this line is being blurred by new types of big "scooters".        

Also it is very interesting hearing about your system of different levels of engine size for a license in the UK.

I am not too happy about having to take a test for my Kawasaki 650 but if I have to I will.

23 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Well, the UK has their rules, just as the US, and Thailand have theirs.  Just as you have your British opinion, right or wrong, just as I have my American one, also right or wrong.  My question to you is: Do you ride?  I have a feeling you're a "side line warrior" with little to no experience, hence the ignorant comment of anything over 125cc is a "big  bike".  

If i were arrogant enough to think that my countries rules should be applied here without looking at the real situation here anything above 50cc would require a separate license and should be called a big bike. Just blindly looking at what goes in your home country just does not work. One should apply logic, look at what models are available here and then decide what is a big bike and what is not. 

The power difference between a 650 and a 250 cc bike is huge, also here in Thailand you do need a bit of power to keep up with the dangerous traffic. What kind of bikes you allow here depends on how the roads are here and how traffic goes. 125 cc is not much at all and could actually be dangerous if you had to be on a few of the bigger roads. I know that i prefered my 250 for the bigger roads but the real power came with a 650cc.. 250 is not much at all just a bit higher top end then a 155 and a bit more power but by no means a big bike.

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

One thing is this forum is full of people from all over the world. So their point of view is going to be different.

Someone from the USA will have a completely different experience than our friends from the UK. I had never even heard the term "Big Bike" until I came to Thailand.

And Honda, Yamaha and others (with some exceptions) use 300cc as the cut off point for selling at different dealerships what we call "scooters" in the USA and what we call "Motorcycles". Also we don't use the term "motorbike", perhaps in the UK this term is used for anything with two wheels? You can't buy a Honda Click at a Bigwing Store. So perhaps there is a 300cc line that already exists IN THAILAND. And yes this line is being blurred by new types of big "scooters".        

Also it is very interesting hearing about your system of different levels of engine size for a license in the UK.

I am not too happy about having to take a test for my Kawasaki 650 but if I have to I will.

They are talking about in future.. so i guess old licenses will be grand fathered, just like that there are still some people out here with licences that never expire while most of us now have 5 year licenses. But we will see. I hope that if there really has to be a new license it also means big bikes can go on the express way. I mean give a lil take a lil when updating laws.

ok so we get a <deleted> on a big bike kills himself, how many THOUSANDS on 125,cc bikes get killed every year, this should be the target, me.a big bike rider since the year dot, got a 125 now dont need a big bike here, the idiots i see EVERY SINGLE DAY HERE  is amazing. i bet you lot see it as well, they moan about the high death toll and do jack shit about, like we see the cop at the school gate waving in kids under age riding scooters with no helmets, do they think that is ok, it seems it ,then we get *how are my kids going to get to school*? same with riding in the back of pick ups,*but we have alkways done this*  things wont change in my lifetime here

I see differences in terminology her

to me a scooter is quite simply these Italian types, Vespa Lambretta etc good for keeping pants dry

the rest are motorcycles, ranging from moped through lightweight motorcycle to heavyweight motorcycle or big bike if you prefer

I see little scope for agreement in this thread

just like to comment (my view) that today's 100-130 cc bikes in LoS can be very very fast  bikes, not really suitable toys for 16-year-olds

All very interesting. ( not )

but,  with out an effective police force willing to enforce the rules and regulations it all a load of Borax.

Also Somchai is a total prick on a 125 wave. he does not require a

750 Suzuki GSX, RRRRR. to kill himself and others , he does it just fine on the 125.

Sure change the rules for big and small bikes, but it wont change Somchai. You need to get out the BIg Stick for him.

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting EVERY state in the Continental U.S.  So I would venture that I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than you do.  

However my comment to your post was that anything above 125 cc be considered a "big bike", which is laughable to anyone who knows anything about bikes.  In the U.S. a 300cc bike is considered a "starter bike".  

And a Harley Sportster used to be considered a woman's bike back in the day

Archived