Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

webfact

Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A senior government spokesman has said that the cabinet agrees with the idea of separating big bikes from other motorcycles.

A proposal has come in that suggests in order to lessen road accidents those riding big bikes should be treated differently, reported Daily News.

They quoted Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnert as saying that the government agrees with adjusting a 2005 law.

Speaking after a ministerial level meeting in Chumpon he said that in future those applying for licenses who wanted to ride big bikes would have to take a separate test and have a separate license.

Daily News did not report exactly what a "big bike" constitutes, notes Thaivisa.

Thus whether it would refer to, say, 250cc up or perhaps 400cc up was not announced.

Many posters on a recent Thaivisa thread following an accident that killed an 18 year old riding a 650cc bike suggested there should be different rules and regulations for those riding powerful machines as in other countries.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-22
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

Why not introduce a graded licence system by age and engine size?  For example, a 16 year old can have a motorcycle with no more than 125 cc engine.  At age 16 the engine size can be increased depending on the number of points available on the licence and if the rider has had any offences.  Works in other countries and with the recent suggestions the BIB are about to have new fines and other conditions introduced it could possibly work here, if the general public, especially the parents and BIB gave it a fair go.

Two things that should be introduced are, proper policing and not just "letting offenders" go with a slap on the wrist, and proper licencing and testing procedures.  Currently the testing system is a joke.  None of the Thais I have talked to know anything about stopping distances in relationship to speed and weather conditions, e.g. 50 km/h in torrential rain, etc.

'nuf sed

2 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

That comment shows that you know absolutely zip about bikes.  You going to say my son's 150cc PCX is a "Big Bike"?  What a joke.  

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

That comment shows that you know absolutely zip about bikes.  You going to say my son's 150cc PCX is a "Big Bike"?  What a joke.  

Goes to show you know nothing about what "" around a word mean...i made a suggestion thats all...ok mr smarty pants one give a definition of a "big bike"...and what has your son got to do with this.? He could be in this 30s living and home with mommy and daddy...relevance please ? 

14 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Why not introduce a graded licence system by age and engine size?  For example, a 16 year old can have a motorcycle with no more than 125 cc engine.  At age 16 the engine size can be increased depending on the number of points available on the licence and if the rider has had any offences.  Works in other countries and with the recent suggestions the BIB are about to have new fines and other conditions introduced it could possibly work here, if the general public, especially the parents and BIB gave it a fair go.

Two things that should be introduced are, proper policing and not just "letting offenders" go with a slap on the wrist, and proper licencing and testing procedures.  Currently the testing system is a joke.  None of the Thais I have talked to know anything about stopping distances in relationship to speed and weather conditions, e.g. 50 km/h in torrential rain, etc.

'nuf sed

The UK has about 4 different license types which involve the age of the person and the maximum cc or HP of the bike, and if memory serves 125cc features as a transition from "scooter" to " bike"

10 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Goes to show you know nothing about what "" around a word mean...i made a suggestion thats all...ok mr smarty pants one give a definition of a "big bike"...and what has your son got to do with this.? He could be in this 30s living and home with mommy and daddy...relevance please ? 

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting EVERY state in the Continental U.S.  So I would venture that I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than you do.  

However my comment to your post was that anything above 125 cc be considered a "big bike", which is laughable to anyone who knows anything about bikes.  In the U.S. a 300cc bike is considered a "starter bike".  

"Thus whether it would refer to, say, 250cc up or perhaps 400cc up was not announced."

Because, no one who rides a motorbike under 250cc ever gets killed. A license won't change a thing if the rider trusts his amulet more than he does practicing safe driving after he gets his license.

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting

And ? So whats the defintion of a big bike then ?...dont want your CV

Engine size isn't as much of a factor as it used to be.

Years ago a 125cc would max out at 60mph. It's very possible now for a 125cc to hit the 'magic ton' plus depending on state of tune.

How they can work out a system for increase in size/power isn't as easy as appears.

Edit.

Top example.

Rossi 2018 Aprila 125 cc 249kph.

Ok not your usual road bike but gives an idea.

Archived