Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

webfact

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

which is laughable to anyone who knows anything about bikes

But here in LOS, not very many know anything about bikes, safe riding, traffic rules, highway code etc etc. Keep them below 150cc until they can prove that they are 'big boys' who can handle 'big bikes'.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, robblok said:

That is great because 16  year olds are not allowed to ride bikes over 100 cc.  Anyway bikes are not toys they are a mode of transportation and they need a certain speed to be safe in traffic. If your too slow your a danger to yourself especially acceleration is important

110 cc that is....

27 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

have had bikes for many yrs, little scooters in Thailand, real sized in USA (Ninja et al). other than if it's too heavy to handle at slow speed (not fall over or steer correctly) IMHO size is irrelevant to safety. Little can be as dangerous as big.

Recently got my Thai Mcy license, the 'road' test was a joke, the written test was a joke, the process was a joke. Nothing to do with 'road safety training' and zero to do with specific motorcycle riding skills. And, if I ride strictly according to 'the rule book' I would have been dead already.

Teach about slick roads (sand, water, oil), teach that everyone else is out to kill you and ride accordingly, show photos of real accidents and explain why they happened and what should have been done to avoid. Some kind of class to scare the shit out of riders FIRST might just impart a little bit of respect for the road, immovable objects, their skin and skull, and their passengers.

Increased fees, fancy licensing, and more regulations won't accomplish shit, education might accomplish a little.

Harsh, but fair.  I think the first time many riders in Thailand use the brakes 'hard', is just before they crash.

Most things have already been said - so thought I would add something different.

Anyone that does get a 'big' bike (rent or buy) in Thailand, needs to be aware of another road 'rule' that many Thai drivers (especially in big trucks) will try to 'impose' on you.

In the Thai road rules, riders of 'bikes' are required to keep over to the left side of the road and allow cars/trucks to pass (not take up the whole lane).

This rule was in play when bikes were all small 'scooters' and despite the recent increase in the number of larger bikes, many Thai drivers 'demand' you move over if on a bike (big or not).

I have seen many Thai drivers trying to 'push' riders of bigger bikes to the left, so that they can get past - the riders usually just speed up and get way ahead of them.

Unfortunately, many of the riders are newbies from western countries and they think they can take up the whole lane like they would at home.

Experienced riders of big bikes in Thailand know not to let any car/truck get close behind (speed up or move over) and never ever 'argue' about it.

Especially important if/when they do allow 'real' bikes on the freeways.

That Merc/Truck driver will 'demand' you move over, because you are on a bike - whether you are doing 120Ks+ or not.

The bigger problem in Thailand is not the bigness of the bike but numbness of the brain of the d!ck h3ad riding it. 

How to have a license system that solves this? Of course it will not change one iota. Go for improvement in education and training as well as rigid enforcement and better laws to stop the mad behaviour on the roads. This was the result of a bike having an argument with a lineman’s truck last week in Phuket. A big or small bike, in this case a small Honda Click would not have changed the outcome. Nor would a license grade. Check out underneath the driver side front wheel. Ugly!

1D9AC219-A252-40BF-9C21-B9BE52E8C55C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Anything above a battery operated bike would be a "big" bike for many riders. Particularly schoolchildren. 

Is it really necessary to keep pointing out how stupid Thai politicians, administrators and policemen are

sad as most of the problems I see are small bikes driven by people with no idea what is going on. I truly believe this is a case of big bike accidents attracting press time. a chance to be selfrightious and xenophobic. I have yet to meet a big bike traveling in the wrong lane with no lights at night...a not all that uncommon a sight. just one more way to fleece the foreigner....in clear thinking....again

3 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

No good idea, better at 250, otherwise scooters like the PCX or Nmax would be big bikes.

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

Many scooters these days are bigger than 125cc,  so to erase the scooters from being considered as big bikes it would need to be anything over 175cc.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

And ? So whats the defintion of a big bike then ?...dont want your CV

Hard to accept your wrong.. what are your qualifications ?

Just1Voice is right.. under 300cc is a not a big bike. I have driven scooters and big bikes here. Driven anything from 100,125,155,250,400 and 650cc. I can tell you that it really starts above 250 to 300cc. your suggestion is laughable.. so tell me what is your experience. I got 8 years of driving experience here in Thailand. 

Everyone is getting caught up with the "big" label. It's irrelevant. It's the power (and power to weight ratio) they produce that is the most important consideration here, not the size of the bike.

250cc bikes can be very fast, and due to their size, even more dangerous than larger beasts.

In the 70's and 80's, I used to ride 1000 - 1100cc bikes. Bikes with half that engine capacity can go just as fast now, or even faster.

As many of you have mentioned, its not the size of the bike; its more to do with what is between the ears (or not as the case may be) and how strong your local law enforcement are.

I have spent a few years working in South Korea and they have the 125cc and below, no license or training required policy. Many of us expats (and Koreans) that wanted to ride big bikes had to take a handling test to gain our license regardless of home country license, experience, age, etc. This was done on a 400cc chopper style bike (like a Stead) and was strictly monitored due to electronic strips on the extremities of the very narrow test course which would sound an alarm if your wheels touched them. More than 1 alarm was a fail and re-test.

So based on this testing requirement you would think life was good...not a chance. The biggest idiots on the road were the thousands riding bikes/scooters 125cc or below. Riding along pavements, wrong way down a one way street, weaving in-between traffic at stupid speeds, ignoring traffic lights,....sounds familiar? At the end of the working day from the worlds largest shipyards, thousands would poor into the urban streets heading home on their bikes causing absolute chaos and this right in front of the local police. Accidents daily and deaths very frequent but nothing changed in the 4 years I was there.

I suppose my overall point is, to target big bikes is pointless it needs to be all bikes, it needs to be stringent and bad habits need to be policed.

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

Licenses in the Netherlands;

16 years old; max 50 cc (or 4 kW electric), Max construction speed 45 km/h. Automatic license if in possession of bigger moto or car license.

18 years old; max 125 cc. Max 11 kW. Max 0.1 kW/kg dry weight. 

20 years old; max 35 kW. Max 0.2 kW/kg dry weight. 

23 years old (of after having above license for 2 years); no limitations.

(Possible to get the license at 21 or 22, but will have restrictions as per above license until 2 years pass or rider turns 24). 

Glad i was not brought up in Holland. 

Was all the restrictions due to, to much pot smoking in the there teens  as they kept falling off the big bikes. :stoner: :giggle:

STOOPID!!!!

i think it would be better to have mandatory testing for all licenses and have all scooter riders wear big signs on there backs saying "caution fag on board with no abilty"?

this is just another scam for money.  scam the big bikers because theres a surge in mid size sales and stoopid accidents as a result. perhaps there's been less scooter accidents to match the rise? That would be thinking!!!!!

Its not the size of the bike its the idiot riding it...... i have scooter idiots try and race me on a mod zx14r or drive past my house to show off there loud exhaust sewing machines. I think its a social issue probably as a result of no real law enforcment to keep heads in check perhaps.

9 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

STOOPID!!!!

i think it would be better to have mandatory testing for all licenses and have all scooter riders wear big signs on there backs saying "caution fag on board with no abilty"?

Funny, but a bit naughty.

Can we have the same  for Harley Davison riders, like

caution over weight OAP in-charge of Armchair. ?

Size of the engine is completely immaterial.

If you slam into an object at 60 kph on a 125 cc scooter you will, barring a miracle, be just as dead.

Training and enforcement of existing laws would go a long way. Stop allowing obviously underaged and thus unlicensed kids to operate bikes of any size. Require proof of licensure for sale or rental of any bike.

Meaningful penalties for breaking of laws that often result in injuries and death.

Big bike, small bike definition is pointless when technically speaking a 150 cc is small but will still do over 100 MPH.  They ALL need tuition, testing and licensing - oh and maybe enforce helmet laws, and restrict bikes to maximum of driver plus 1 passenger, and crush the ones that have ridiculously loud exhausts.......

In my experience people who ride 'big' bikes know what they are doing - just please let us on the Expressways....

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting EVERY state in the Continental U.S.  So I would venture that I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than you do.  

However my comment to your post was that anything above 125 cc be considered a "big bike", which is laughable to anyone who knows anything about bikes.  In the U.S. a 300cc bike is considered a "starter bike".  

Would power to weight ratio and acceleration figures me of more relevance rather than outright capacity?

Just now, Bill Miller said:

If you slam into an object at 60 kph on a 125 cc scooter you will, barring a miracle, be just as dead.

Training and enforcement of existing laws would go a long way. Stop allowing obviously underaged and thus unlicensed kids to operate bikes of any size. Require proof of licensure for sale or rental of any bike.

Meaningful penalties for breaking of laws that often result in injuries and death.

1 minute ago, Bill Miller said:

Totally agree Bill Miller. Also penalties for parents who allow their kids to ride and in fact purchase motorbikes for their kids knowingly without a licence.

I started on "mini bikes" when I was 10, and have spent my life (I'm 69) on one kind of bike or another, both on and off road.  After my wife of 27 years died, I spent the next 4 years on a 650cc Kawasaki, hitting EVERY state in the Continental U.S.  So I would venture that I know a hell of a lot more about bikes than you do.  

However my comment to your post was that anything above 125 cc be considered a "big bike", which is laughable to anyone who knows anything about bikes.  In the U.S. a 300cc bike is considered a "starter bike".  

Everything in America is much bigger . 

49 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Most things have already been said - so thought I would add something different.

Anyone that does get a 'big' bike (rent or buy) in Thailand, needs to be aware of another road 'rule' that many Thai drivers (especially in big trucks) will try to 'impose' on you.

In the Thai road rules, riders of 'bikes' are required to keep over to the left side of the road and allow cars/trucks to pass (not take up the whole lane).

This rule was in play when bikes were all small 'scooters' and despite the recent increase in the number of larger bikes, many Thai drivers 'demand' you move over if on a bike (big or not).

I have seen many Thai drivers trying to 'push' riders of bigger bikes to the left, so that they can get past - the riders usually just speed up and get way ahead of them.

Unfortunately, many of the riders are newbies from western countries and they think they can take up the whole lane like they would at home.

Experienced riders of big bikes in Thailand know not to let any car/truck get close behind (speed up or move over) and never ever 'argue' about it.

Especially important if/when they do allow 'real' bikes on the freeways.

That Merc/Truck driver will 'demand' you move over, because you are on a bike - whether you are doing 120Ks+ or not.

Bullshit!!

Anybody who is holding up traffic should be moving over anyway but will never happen unfortunatly

I ride every day and in  general Thais do have a respect for a bigger bike and so long as you arn't riding like miss daisy there is no problem, never had a problem on the motorway or normal roads other than the same cretins you get no matter what you ride/drive....

Maybe in the US 300cc is classed as a starter bike in the UK it's 125cc so not the same in every country!

Archived