Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

webfact

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just out of curiosity Rob. Do you know if Thais need to sit car and motorbike  tests every five years like us Farangs? Or do the ones with licences have them for life?

I won't give my opinion on this until I know the facts.

Of course Thais have to sit the same as us farangs, the times that I have done so the room was full of Thais who were just like me extending their license. The licenses for life of course don't have to do that because they don't have to extend them. But its been quite a while since Thais got those licences (the law changed later)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

With the tiny number of "big bike" riders compared to the small bikes - this would have almost zero impact on the accident rates.

But how about allowing the holders of the new 'Big Bike' license to use the Expressways?

Actually I beg to differ. Go into any major brand workshop and it will be full of bikes of 300cc or more all with excessive accident damage. The rate of big bike accidents relative to sales numbers is probably greater than small displacement. And bearing in mind they are likely going faster when the crash occurs, the greater the damage.

4 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

With incomes rising, bike costs coming down, there are more and more young who can afford a bigger bike, perhaps before they should. Separating licenses on some size or power criteria makes good sense. Doing it early before a mountain of dead bodies on larger bikes piles up is better than waiting.

Singapore does not care about age. You get your first license, you can ride up to 200cc. After a year, you can be tested again on a 400 for a license up to 400cc. One more year, and the final exam on a 750 gets you access to any size of bike. Their model puts experience above age - insurance premiums take care of the rest.

In Singapore you can't buy a bike without a valid license and you can only buy to the licenses permitted limit. The sale is registered with the transport ministry immediately. This model also makes sense, but as all things here, implementation and policing will fail good intentions from day 1.

I'd be happy to take a test for my license. I'd be happier if the test was a test, not a formality; it is too easy. Even someone who thinks larger than 150cc is a big bike would pass...

I wonder what the rules are in Singapore for the motorbikes on motorways and toll roads.

58 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Dream away... 300cc is a learners bike. I raced with Lee Hogan in Australia for 3 seasons and if a 300 is a big bike l will take it in the ass.

Bend over and get ready, This isnt Ausi or America etc it is Thailand where 99% of rider experience is 125cc or less.

Here the idiots go again! Just what proportion of bib bikes are involved in accidents / deaths / injuries compared to the small motorcycles?

Most people that buy a bigger bike do so as it is their hobby and they probably take it serious enough to learn how to ride it correctly - Yes there will always be the idiots who buck the norm. Make a mistake on some of these big bikes and it will be your last anyway.

The fools in power would do a much better job if they made sure that all of the wide variety of people riding the small bikes had licenses and had training and wore a helmet and had tax and paid insurance and carried one passenger not 3 and kept thebike in good condition and had working lights etc. etc. etc.

This would be a lot more effective than going after what is a minority of riders who are probably a lot more skillful anyway. But alas, the usual stupid knee jerk reaction from the retards that can see no further than the ends of their own noses. Maybe they should execute these big bike offenders or fine them 100,000,000 Baht or both - That would teach them a lesson!

Never mind the entire family of four, riding their overloaded 110CC Honda wave the wrong way down a dual carriageway, with the 4 month old kid standing on the tank with no helmet, and the 3 year old girls hanging off the back as she falls asleep with only the dumb as mothers arm wrapped behind her holding her on what remains of the last inch of eat.

Idiots!

So where are the statistics that say riding a 'big bike' causes more fatalities than a 'small bike'. I'd say it's probably the other way around.

If they must impose licensing for a 'big bike' it should be based on some ratio of horse power/kilowatts per kilogram (to also take into account those little speed rockets), not capacity.

22 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Actually I beg to differ. Go into any major brand workshop and it will be full of bikes of 300cc or more all with excessive accident damage. The rate of big bike accidents relative to sales numbers is probably greater than small displacement. And bearing in mind they are likely going faster when the crash occurs, the greater the damage.

Go to a police station and/or impound lot and see the number of small bikes that have been involved in an accident. Most at there because the owners never come back to claim them or they aren't worth taking back.

Even in rural areas. I was at a police station about 30 kms from Sisaket last April and behind the station they had an "impound" area fenced off. I counted over a hundred "small" bikes in there, in various states of damage and from the looks of them, many had been there for years.
But I didn't see a single "big bike" amongst them. They all looked like 125cc or smaller.

Simple stats are, there are more motorcycles "registered" in Thailand than small cars and light trucks combined (something like 35 million motorcycles to 20ish million cars/trucks).

The vast, overwhelming majority of those motorcycles will be in the 100-125cc ranged. Probably 95% of them (total guess on that percentage - it may actually be even higher).

So it stands to reason that the majority of traffic accidents in Thailand will involve motorcycles and the majority of those will be "small" bikes.

If the reasoning behind the additional testing/different licensing was to allow "qualified" riders on "big bikes" to use the tollways, I'd be all for it. If that's not what it is about then meh - nothing will change and we'll still have the same situation (accident-wise) as exists now.

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

That comment shows that you know absolutely zip about bikes.  You going to say my son's 150cc PCX is a "Big Bike"?  What a joke.  

>"I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" "<

So that's your statement, not of the poster you are reflecting on.

Well, a PCX 125 or 150 is indeed to 'much' for a youngster; let's say under 18.

But whatever system you might introduce, there is always opposition, but I agree that being able to ride a real motor bike compared to a 'moped' needs extra skills or experience. 

Another system in Thailand??? 

I think it is ridiculous. In the US this doesn't exist. What does exist is an ever-present police presence that doesn't look fondly on bike driving maniacs. They had a problem with this in Miami until they started confiscating bikes. Not so many problems anymore. 

17 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

So where are the statistics that say riding a 'big bike' causes more fatalities than a 'small bike'. I'd say it's probably the other way around.

If they must impose licensing for a 'big bike' it should be based on some ratio of horse power/kilowatts per kilogram (to also take into account those little speed rockets), not capacity.

Agree.

I had this in 1982. Wonderful big fast touring bike. Not the most beautiful bike in the world or good on windy roads but in 1982 there wasn't much on the road, 2 or 4 wheels that would get near it from the lights in a drag.

You can google the stats on performance and remember it was 1982.  

Honda CX650 Turbo.

unnamed (2).jpg

39 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Agree.

I had this in 1982. Wonderful big fast touring bike. Not the most beautiful bike in the world or good on windy roads but in 1982 there wasn't much on the road, 2 or 4 wheels that would get near it from the lights in a drag.

You can google the stats on performance and remember it was 1982.  

Honda CX650 Turbo.

unnamed (2).jpg

Oh - I remember riding one of those ....... flat, flat, flat, whoooooooa holy crap!

9 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

Better at 200cc as now the new step throughs are coming in at 150. 155 the  new yamaha . also insurance compulsory 

3 hours ago, Lokie said:

Showing your age a bit there as 750 is nearly an extinct capacity most bikes now go 650 to 800cc as 750s were 70s/80s fair and really phased out in the 90s.

IMO I consider 600 and above a big bike but thats just me, whether I am in LOS or UK

Fair cop.  My first big bike - Suzuki GS 750 in 1976 - went like snot.  Still love an in line 4.

9 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

i think this person is in  need medical attention to the brain, is idiots in cages who kill them. they should be made to drive golf buggies & have tests to drive larger vehchles, get a life you loser

25 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Oh - I remember riding one of those ....... flat, flat, flat, whoooooooa holy crap!

It stuck 18psi into the engine which is ok until you realise it does it from almost O psi to 18 psi over only about 1500 rpm, roughly 5000 to 6500 rpm and was redlined about 9000.

Hit the wrong gear at a roundabout and double the bhp when the bikes leaning over can 'exciting'

Imagine if they started selling something similar here. ??

45 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Should also require a special license to place an infant in front of the driver on a Motorbike. This specialty would have a maximum IQ requirement of 80. 

never happen nobody here could manage that score unless paid for

3 hours ago, Amusements said:

Why don't they just have a proper bike test in the first place?

My bike test (Thai) consisted of answering nonsensical multiple choice questions, and then having someone looking out of a window, watching me drive round a tiny car park..... while they were also busy doing another job.

All this talk about what constitutes a big bike is just pi..ing in the wind.

If this were a thread about gun control  by now somebody would have piped up ' don't blame the gun blame the shooter ' 

A wave is as deadly as a Harley Lookatmeson in the wrong hands.

So yes......A proper bike test is the way to go.

But TIT and we all know what the upshot of all this will be.

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

10 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

there it is the CBX1000.

( time does fly , I never remembered the 47cc )

I new a very nice lady who had one, and she looked great on it.

in her black leathers,  for real, dead sexy  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a lady friend who had one and she was a bit of a short a-se so when stopped at the lights she always ended up left foot on the road and right leg over the seat. When she was wearing jeans or leathers I always used to manage to stop just behind her. Just to check she was ok. ?

Archived