Thai drivers must be able to see and hear to get behind the wheel in future, says government

webfact

Thai drivers must be able to see and hear to get behind the wheel in future, says government

file.jpg

FILE photo

A Thai government spokesman has suggested that in future Thai motorists will actually have to be able to see and hear properly before they are allowed to get a driving license.

Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnert said that the cabinet has agreed with proposals to change the requirements of medical certificates that need to accompany applications for licenses and renewals.

In the past the doctor's certificates just referred to general diseases that were irrelevant to driving.

In future aspiring drivers and riders will have to convince doctors they have adequately functioning eyes and ears.

They will also need to be cleared of certain as yet unspecified "nerve" disorders.

This will help with reducing accidents, he said.

Thaivisa notes that Thailand has the worst accident statistics per capita in the world with perhaps more than 20,000 people dying annually on the roads.

The carnage has been termed a national disgrace.

Lt Gen Sansern was speaking after a ministerial level meeting in Chumpon in which changes to a 2005 traffic law and regulations were discussed.

It was reported by Daily News who also suggested that laborers on temporary work permits would also be restricted from driving private vehicles.

Moves are also being made to change applications for licenses to ride Big Bikes, as reported elsewhere on Thaivisa.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-22

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

In future aspiring drivers and riders will have to convince doctors they have adequately functioning eyes and ears.

I have nearly been run down by drivers who had to be totally blind not to see me, so this is some good news I guess. Being able to see, you would think would be a prerequisite for a driving license from day one really.

In the past the doctor's certificates just referred to general diseases that were irrelevant to driving.

But never corrected !

With all that is going on I'm starting an envelope buisness !

The carnage has been termed a national disgrace.

For many years without a worry in the world ! but they did make number 1

2 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

That’s all very well, but it’s the inability to think that’s the real problem.

And maybe able to help fix sight and hearing...……….but you can't fix stupid and that IMO is the main problem with Thai drivers here.

So that one smart idiot that has his "praxis" literally right infront of the DMV selling certificates just needs to lie even more? I'm sure that will solve the problem.

Thing is, "being able to see and hear" is the problem as both tunnelvision and selective hearing are pretty much what everybody already has.

What is getting fixed?! Thinking certainly isn't.

Does that mean the pick-up driver I see every day in my village with no right arm is still O.K.? He does in fact seem to be one of the better drivers in the village but when he is changing gear he must be using his thighs to steady the steering wheel.

51 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I have nearly been run down by drivers who had to be totally blind not to see me, so this is some good news I guess. Being able to see, you would think would be a prerequisite for a driving license from day one really.

You are in fine humour today. Being able to see is a prerequisite to driving?? But they only have to see as far as the car in front; that is why they tailgate. 

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

A Thai government spokesman has suggested.......blah, blah, blah.

Anyway this is only a suggestion which means a committee and possibly sub-committees will have to be formed to mull the idea. Expect an outcome in 3 -4 years. 

Seeing and hearing is not really the problem.. The 'Nerve Disorders'  probably is.  The disorder is me, me, me and me.  The misconstrued idea that the road is theirs ignoring lines and markings.  Anyone that's been here any time will have come across vehicles overtaking  on blind mountain corners  only for them to flash their lights demanding right of way.  It is the drivers mindset that has to change. 

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Being able to see is one thing. Opening your eyes to the dangers on Thai roads is a different matter entirely.

For that to happen then firstly the blinkers need to be removed.

Indeed.  Several times during the day or night, we've come upon a vehicle moving so slowly on a main road/highway, I thought the driver might be suffering a medical problem.  No.   The driver is looking down, their face lit by a soft white/blueish light....... from their smart phone.  Oblivious to everything going on around them.

image.png.a7d3dd040fbe88b79a84cd45e7aff12a.png

No idea what hearing has to do with driving, many have there music on so load they would not be able to hear anything anyway............ 

long ques for Cataract Ops soon ?  [or maybe it is what there smoking]       

All the Doctors Certificates in the World will never stop the Thais being " Blind " drunk when driving.

These kind of licence issues are trivial compared with the real issues of Drunk Driving, Drug Driving, and general aggressive attitude issue among the drivers in Thailand.

Archived