Visa Exempt to Non-immigrant O ?

Hi there

I’ve been extending my stay in Thailand for the past five years based on being married to a Thai wife (originally visa was a non-immigrant O). This year due to various reasons I didn’t extend my stay, but instead left the country for a visit to the UK and then returned to Thailand under the visa exempt rules and given 30 days stay.

My first question is can I now go (before my 30 days are up) to my local immigration office to apply for a new Non-immigrant O Visa based on marriage if I have proof of income (40,000 THB credited for 3 separate months into a UK bank account)?  And will they give me 1 year or 90 days?

Secondly, I remember having to get a letter from the UK Embassy confirming that my UK marriage certificate was valid, even though I had also registered the marriage at the local Amphur Office. Is this still a requirement?

That just above covers all I need to know for now. Thanks for your help.

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry apply for a one year extension of stay.

To apply for the visa you will need at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it.

To prove the 40k baht income required for the visa application and extension you will need a income letter from the UK embassy. You apply for it by mail. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

You will need the same supporting documents for the visa and extension. 

If you have registered your UK marriage at a Amphoe and have a Kor Ror 22 you should not need your marriage certificate legalized.

If you still have the affirmation you did stating your marriage certificate was true and correct you should be able to use it again if needed. They no longer allow you to do the affirmation at the UK embassy. It has to be sent to the UK to be legalized.

Hi ubonjoe,

Thanks for your full answer. I'll double check with the local immigration office as to whether they need my marriage certificate legalized, hopefully not, as I don't have the old affirmation anymore!

Just want to double check. I had my previous extension of stay extended by 2 months (no financial proof required), which they said they only allowed because I had not had this type of extension before. Will this extension prevent me from having the 30 day extension of my 30 day visa exempt entry?

Thanks again.