Beetroot

buriramboy

last year my mother sent over various packs of seeds, brussel sprouts, parsnips, beetroot etc. to see if they would grow here, anyway i had forgotton all about them till 10 minutes ago when the wife tells me, the in-laws managed to grow everything successfully. Anyway the beetroots are apparantly the star attraction of the wifes village at the moment, everyone wants to try this lovely farang vegtable, but all they are doing is just washing them and eating them uncooked. the question is as i personaly hate beetroot, how do you cook it, do you boil it, fry it or basically what do you do with it?

BB

Cut off the stalks 1" (2.5cm) or so above the root, then wash the beetroots taking care not to damage the skin or they will "bleed" when boiled.

Boil in salted water until soft: the time taken depends on the age and frshness, small ealry beetroots will take around 30mins, larger older onse about 1 1/2 hours. When they are cooked peel off the skin and cut into cubes or slices. Serve hot coated with a white sauce or cold sliced and in a little vinegar.

You can of course also pickle them ! yum yum

last year my mother sent over various packs of seeds, brussel sprouts, parsnips, beetroot etc. to see if they would grow here, anyway i had forgotton all about them till 10 minutes ago when the wife tells me, the in-laws managed to grow everything successfully. Anyway the beetroots are apparantly the star attraction of the wifes village at the moment, everyone wants to try this lovely farang vegtable, but all they are doing is just washing them and eating them uncooked. the question is as i personaly hate beetroot, how do you cook it, do you boil it, fry it or basically what do you do with it?

BB

Just boil them (simmering better) in salt water with some vinegar and carraway seed, let them cool down in the same water. Do not peel them when cooking, after they are chilled out ok!!!

After peeling in small slices and marinate with salt, pepper, oil, vinegar and onions.

Add some chilli for your village people.

Gerd

thank you, will pass that on, also apparantly with the brussel sprouts what they were doing was when the leaves began to grow they were cutting them off and frying them like some Thai vegtable, anyway after that they left them alone and were shocked when these green ball shaped things actually started to grow, they thought the leaves was it.

wash and cook them in the skin, when soft pill the skin off and slice or dice. Can be pickled or preserved in the brain. The leaves can be eaten also, especially of the younger beetroot - and be part of the borshch.

haven't heard about eating them raw

Gerd's recipe is right on for the beets. I also like to add basil and sometimes oregano along with the vinegar, oil, salt, white pepper, and a dash of sugar. The Thais already like basil - horapha -so the flavor makes sense to them a little, I suppose. I eat it warm, or as a salad I keep in the fridge for hot days. Overall though, I think beets are a bit strange for Thais, and likely in a few years they will figure out what to do with them according to their own sensibilities. I know I get them in the local Chiang Mai night market and it seems I'm the only one who ever buys them.

If they grow them themselves, they ought to be cutting the fresh greens and adding them to soups as a mild vegetable the way they do for any old Tom Jeut, or any Kwaytiyao Nam Sai - the clear and mild soups with greens, and often some roast duck, or fish or pork balls.

They can also stir fry the greens and they taste great. Sometimes a little color may bleed, but not always, depends on the redness and juciness of the stems.