New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 19:05
mogandave

University in the US?

My boy is in his first year of high school at a good Thai government school. He is a good student and gets good grades.

I am thinking of sending him to university in the US to get his undergrad, and coming back to Thailand for graduate school.

Will Thai universities generally accept credits from US universities?

Thanks

Providing funds are available.. both the BA and MA should be done in the US... Better... quality of instruction...especially on Graduate level

Depends on his major...  Good luck... Generally depends on the Thai Uni, but if you have transcripts and are applying to an MA program.. that is basically all you need...  and the required GPA .

Good luck

I'd tend to go with a local University for the undergraduate and then overseas for graduate school.   I don't think it makes a huge difference, but the adjustment to University can be a little difficult and moving away from family, friends and fellow students might be a big social-psychological adjustment.   

If he has family or connections near the school the transition will be much easier.  

From an educational point of view, I think an overseas degree is going to look good on his resume, regardless of whether it is undergraduate or graduate.  

It's good that you are thinking about this now and hopefully you will have some good talks with your son so that he's on board with whatever decision is made.  

• Like 1

I retired earlier this year and thought we’d all go. I’ve been working here for 17 years and my wife needs to spend 5 years in the US to qualify for my SS benefits.

My brother teaches law at A & M and my sister in law teaches marketing at Baylor, so I’m guessing he’ll go to one or the other.

Boy is at Triam Udom now and loves it, so if he really wants to stay here for his undergrad I’ll likely go along, but I’m going crazy here with no work....

• Like 1

Well, he certainly will have a reasonable support system, either way, so its a toss up.   He is attending a very reputable school, so I would guess that it's down to a family type decision as to what is best for everyone.  

Best of luck in whatever you decide.  

On 8/25/2018 at 7:08 AM, mogandave said:

He would probably go to Texas A & M.

You He’s not sure what he wants to do (wife is pushing for doctor) but he is in a math and science program now and likes it.

Doctor in US or in Thailand? There are different pathways for each.

BTW, you are absolutely correct in planning for this even at this early stage. Everything to do with US college attendence usually has a 1-2 year lead time, ie: testing, pre-recs, establishing residency,applications, etc.

Edited by lannarebirth

AT most state universities There is a big difference in tuition between state residents and out of state  students, You might want to find out how long you need to live in Texas to qualify for resident tuition, and perhaps start the process , especially since your wife wants to spend 5 years there to qualify for Social Security benefits.

• Like 1

It’s a year residence to get in a Texas state school.

My wife wants him to be a doctor here, but I’m not hot on the unless he wants it.

I’d rather see him get an undergrad in engineering, and either a masters in business or his MD.

Getting an MD is tough in the US.

I wouldn’t mind him going into law. I sat in a few of my brother’s contract lectures and thought it fascinating.

As long as he’s happy and not on dope or some other jackassery I’m good...

Our Son went ajrord to Uni Yes he did well, away five years , but he finds it hard now hes back adapting to Thai Business Ethics, worth bearing in mind. Hes 35 now, Graduated in Law, but now runs his own Hazardous Bulk Transport company , sometimes i think going away was wasted.Who can tell. Easy for me cause hes now direct and anti PC Cowards Bit like A young MoganDave.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Unless its changed A Thai Lady friend of my wife who was married to an American for many years came back when he died. 25/35 ago years now. She used to have to go back to sign for his Navy pension every few years. Saw her a while back, she told me she doesnt go anymore, the cost of the journey dilutes its worth and not coming from poor Family, plus shes old n tired and retired with Thai Pension.Its not like Norway where they just through money away to wives who return home.

With the resources your family have at your disposal and given the whole crew will be going along, then the US pathway for the undergraduate course is a serious option assuming the kid is up for it. As for post-graduate, well no need to think about that now other than to review progress on the undergrad course when and whenever.

Thanks, and you’re right, a lot can happen in two years...

Unless its changed A Thai Lady friend of my wife who was married to an American for many years came back when he died. 25/35 ago years now. She used to have to go back to sign for his Navy pension every few years. Saw her a while back, she told me she doesnt go anymore, the cost of the journey dilutes its worth and not coming from poor Family, plus shes old n tired and retired with Thai Pension.Its not like Norway where they just through money away to wives who return home.

I don’t think once social security starts it takes much to keep it coming...

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I don’t think once social security starts it takes much to keep it coming...

When she had stayed there, no  prob, but lonely in Norfolk, no Thais her age,no kids. Just a heads up Our kids have gone, Good Education backfires when your old, they move on, dummies stay.