How to get patchy lawn to grow?

We have verious types of trees around the perimeter of our lawn which looked really nice but they were blocking the sun getting to the lawn, consequently we've areas of very healthy grass and other areas of patchy grass (some small areas of no grass). Brother-in-law has been up the trees and really chopped them back so sun exposure to the lawn is now good. So the question is how can we get the areas of no grass or patchy grass to grow again?

I have exactly this problem!

We sadly just had to remove a 12 year old Frangipani, we first tried cutting back but it just returned thicker.

Apart from shade-dominating a smallish garden, its year-round leaf shedding further exacerbated ground cover issues.

Grass we laid last year supposedly shade loving, is now at 50% even the sunny areas, our gaden only gets direct sun from 10am to 1pm and I suspect that dosent help.

We are looking into Mondo grass (actually a lilly) and other shade loving ground covers that can tolerate light traffic (the tread of the gardner, not the whole gang).

Lawn sucks up water, and food, and demand maintenance, they really are not the best choice for many low-sun, smaller area gardens such as mine, I am totally against them now after all the money and failures, even shade loving lawn is still hard work in all the other ways that regular lawn is. Meadow plants might be better if you have a very large area to deal with, but regardless, if you are getting less than 5 hours direct sun, best think about alternatives, for example, stone cover or paths, dotted with semi sun-loving 'islands' of green.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:00 AM, Small Joke said:

I have exactly this problem!

We sadly just had to remove a 12 year old Frangipani, we first tried cutting back but it just returned thicker.

Apart from shade-dominating a smallish garden, its year-round leaf shedding further exacerbated ground cover issues.

Grass we laid last year supposedly shade loving, is now at 50% even the sunny areas, our gaden only gets direct sun from 10am to 1pm and I suspect that dosent help.

We are looking into Mondo grass (actually a lilly) and other shade loving ground covers that can tolerate light traffic (the tread of the gardner, not the whole gang).

Lawn sucks up water, and food, and demand maintenance, they really are not the best choice for many low-sun, smaller area gardens such as mine, I am totally against them now after all the money and failures, even shade loving lawn is still hard work in all the other ways that regular lawn is. Meadow plants might be better if you have a very large area to deal with, but regardless, if you are getting less than 5 hours direct sun, best think about alternatives, for example, stone cover or paths, dotted with semi sun-loving 'islands' of green.

i tried to message you about another topic but TV is saying you cannot receive messages. 

Can you check your settings.

Sorry for interrupting this topic.

You don't say what type of grass in your lawn.....if farang grass the best bet is to buy square meters of turf and patch them in, they're inexpensive at around 22 baht per square meter in the North. If Malay grass, don't do anything just make sure it gets plenty of water, although patching is also a short cut option.

I'm not sure what type of grass it is - i'll have to take a picture. We've laid the lawn at least twice, possibly thrice, over the past 15 years so not looking to do it again or patch in. Was wondering if grass seeding would work except it would be a feast for the garden birds.

Archived