Help Clear This Up Lease Wp/cat B Query

Hi all,

I wonder if some one can clarify this situation (and yes I have checked the relevant info pages before posting without luck) in regard a Work permit and category B extension.

I have a friend who originally arrived on a tourist visa and has renewed via the neighbouring countries a couple of times.

He has now travelled to Penang and got a straight forward plain Jane 3 month cat B visa. He wishes to work for a language school and has all the relevant paperwork. However the owner (who is Thai) is adament that if she applies on his behalf for a 12 month work permit as a teacher that he will not have to then renew the visa, the labour office will stamp it for the period of the WP! Is this correct?

There was talk in the local paper where we both reside of there being a different channel and procedures for teachers but this appears just to straight forward and logical to me for Thailand!!

Can anyone clear this up?

Warm regards,

MAK.

When the work permit is issued it is valid until the entry stamp in your passport expires. Which means it finishes 90 days after you entered the country.

After the work permit is issued, you apply for a one year extension, which is a permission to stay and not a visa. After this is granted, you take the work permit and extend this to the new expiry date.

Something to note, the year extension is dated from you last entry onto Thialand, not from the day you get it. So it is likely that your first year extension will only be for 10 months or so.

When the work permit is issued it is valid until the entry stamp in your passport expires. Which means it finishes 90 days after you entered the country.

After the work permit is issued, you apply for a one year extension, which is a permission to stay and not a visa. After this is granted, you take the work permit and extend this to the new expiry date.

Something to note, the year extension is dated from you last entry onto Thialand, not from the day you get it. So it is likely that your first year extension will only be for 10 months or so.

And that same visa can be extended again next year.

Many thanks guys I think that kind of clears it up!

Just out of interest does anyone know if it is possible to send a passport home to where a 1 year cat B visa was issued through the likes of DHL etc for a renewal application etc! As long as you provide the relevant letter from a prospective employer etc. I know the Embassy I used were much more liberal and understanding shall we say, than the likes of Penang - Then, have it shipped back. As long as it was early on in a 3 month cycle you would not be an overstayer???

Regards,

Mak

And how are you envisaging explaining to immigration that you got a new visa in your passport and have no exit stamp for leaving Thailand to get it?

This is what the big crackdown has been about for going on a year now.

Don't be stupid. If you need to leave to get a new visa, then leave and come back. Less problems and no jail time.

• 3 weeks later...

No I don't need to. Thankyou. It was merely a hypothetical question. Thanks anyway for the reply.

I was more interested in if it was legal or if their was anything in their statute covering a mail application whilst still in Thailand- nothing more. As one who is fortunate enough not to have encountered the hassles many of the guys here do I have not had to try any or all of the angles and so, other than asking for advice on bog standard B toursit etc etc have little knowlege of what appears extremely inconsistant and complex visa procedures.

regards

M the stupid.