SURVEY: Removal of info from Social Media -- Censorship or Not?

Scott

SURVEY: Removal of info from Social Media -- Censorship or Not?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the past several months there has been a concerted effort to get information deemed to be false or fake removed from social media, such as Facebook and Twitter.   In your opinion, do you think it is correct to remove such content or does it infringe on free speech?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, attrayant said:
2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

But no there shouldn't be censorship on social media and youtube.

These are private companies.  How are you going to force them to publish things that are deliberately false and might lead to harm?

What about Wikipedia, and by extension print encyclopedias like Britannica?  Should we force them to publish articles supporting flat earth theory, geocentrism and all manner of supernatural woo?

If so, you'll get people like Stephanie Seneff who, although not a medical doctor or epidemiologist and has no training in any field of biological science, recommends feeding bleach to your autistic child to "cure" their autism.  Because of her, some parent is going to poison their child.  We have a duty to protect children by getting such videos reported and removed from YouTube.

they may be private companies but they have become so big and so encompassing that in essence they wield and influence public opinion. kind of like the old usa private phone company at&t that was deemed a defacto monopoly or such and the court forced them to split up.

different analogy; pre usa independance from great britain depended on dissemination of information to americans to guide and motivate them to gain independance from gb. had there been hugely powerful social media controlled by companies with vested interests in the uk they could have censored what they deemed as inappropriate. china does this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm in the minority again as usual.  I simply find it amazing the number of people who actually ask their respective governments or mega-giant corporations to select what they are allowed to read and hear. <headshake> 
But - I'm not surprised.  It is a nanny-state mentality that that majority is comprised of who requests Big Brother and Big Daddy Warbucks to filter and censor information presented to them in the public domain before their delicate sensibilities can be offended by narratives that don't fit 'the commonly accepted and politically correct narratives' that they have been raised and indoctrinated to believe and accept.  And they fail to see the danger in that.  Some people can handle 'Freedom' as well as the personal responsibility that such freedom entails, such as being able to analyze information and draw your own conclusion; but nowadays it seems most people can not handle personal freedoms by their own admittance and as such need a patronistic 'authority' to tell them what is acceptable and what is not. 

Dark days ahead I'm afraid.  Do birds who have lived their lives in a cage even want the 'freedom' of what lies beyond?  My guess is for the majority the answer is "No".  That is pretty damn sad.

"Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself."
-- Judge Potter Stewart

What because you believe websites, forums, internet search engines, online media doesn’t listen to their advertising sponsors?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gulfsailor said:

Designate social media platforms as publishers. That way they are legally liable for whatever gets posted, and they can remove/sensor what they want. Same as TV. 

Publishing houses review the material they publish for content and sometimes for accuracy.  Facebook has over 2 billion users and about 25 thousand employees.  How are they going to filter that?

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:
21 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm in the minority again as usual.  I simply find it amazing the number of people who actually ask their respective governments or mega-giant corporations to select what they are allowed to read and hear. <headshake> 
But - I'm not surprised.  It is a nanny-state mentality that that majority is comprised of who requests Big Brother and Big Daddy Warbucks to filter and censor information presented to them in the public domain before their delicate sensibilities can be offended by narratives that don't fit 'the commonly accepted and politically correct narratives' that they have been raised and indoctrinated to believe and accept.  And they fail to see the danger in that.  Some people can handle 'Freedom' as well as the personal responsibility that such freedom entails, such as being able to analyze information and draw your own conclusion; but nowadays it seems most people can not handle personal freedoms by their own admittance and as such need a patronistic 'authority' to tell them what is acceptable and what is not. 

Dark days ahead I'm afraid.  Do birds who have lived their lives in a cage even want the 'freedom' of what lies beyond?  My guess is for the majority the answer is "No".  That is pretty damn sad.

"Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself."
-- Judge Potter Stewart

What because you believe websites, forums, internet search engines, online media doesn’t listen to their advertising sponsors?

no, not at face value. each individual must use their own cognitive ability-intuition to decide what they deem as real-credible, etc etc.

something akin to a child growing up and mommy no longer making the decisions

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

But no there shouldn't be censorship on social media and youtube . What is happening now months before the US elections is appalling. Whether it is fake news or not , people like Alex Jones/infowars and other conservative voices shouldn't be removed .

Social media should be forced to keep free speech . Again appalling what is happening in europe , censoring everything about "migrant" crimes .

There just shouldn't, because you say so, oh and because you believe some of the lies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Designate social media platforms as publishers. That way they are legally liable for whatever gets posted, and they can remove/sensor what they want. Same as TV. 

They are communication platforms, turning social media into publishers would be no different to turning telephone companies into publishers and expect them to censor your calls.

40 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Many ideas and points of view have been proven wrong, racism is an example, fascism is another.

These don’t need to be proven wrong and dangerous to individuals and society everytimme they occur.

If you want to prevent them from causing damage then they need to be called out every time they occur.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1