Hunt on for Chiang Mai woman after drugged, robbed tourist dies

rooster59

Hunt on for Chiang Mai woman after drugged, robbed tourist dies 

By The Nation

543075-696x522.jpg

Chiang Mai police are hunting for a “pretty, short-haired” woman who allegedly drugged and robbed two tourists - an Indian and an American – and caused the death of one.

Chiang Mai police deputy chief Pol Colonel Piyaphan Phattarapongsin called a meeting of investigators to try and solve the two related drugging cases.

In the first case, the body of Indian tourist Tharak Bart Hamas (not official spelling), 56, was found dead on a hotel bed in downtown Chiang Mai downtown last Monday evening. A cup of coffee was found near the bed.

Hotel staff told police that the man had checked in with a pretty Thai woman with short hair.

In the second case, Gene Ber Ulfgang (not official spelling), 69, was found unconscious in a hotel room in Tambon Chank Phuek in Muang district the following evening. 

The American tourist was treated in a private hospital for two days before recovering sufficiently to give his account to police.

He said he met a woman in a beer bar and took her back to his hotel room. The woman ordered a cup of coffee for him and he passed out after drinking it. He said the woman was pretty, plump and had short hair.

The American tourist said his Bt9,500 and US$5,000 in cash and his credit card had gone missing. He later learned that the credit card was used to buy a diamond ring worth about Bt1 million.

Piyaphan said police concluded that the woman in the two cases was the same one. She had tried to use a credit card stolen from the Indian man to buy the same diamond ring but the card had failed to clear the bank’s approval for purchase.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352966

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-26

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The American tourist said his Bt9,500 and US$5,000 in cash and his credit card had gone missing. He later learned that the credit card was used to buy a diamond ring worth about Bt1 million.

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

30k USD worth on one credit card doesn't happen every day, the jeweler should have taken a very close look. and the fact that the woman tried to purchase the same ring twice on two different days with cards not in her name should have rung a bell as loud as thunder. bring in the jeweler for serious questioning.

5 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

The credit card company should not pay the Jewellery shop, because of their gross negligence. 

Hope the Tourist recovers quickly.

That’s what happens when owner of the card files for charge back .

bank will ask to see signed credit card receipt and when signatures do not match, shop’s bank gives back the money and shop can not do anything about it, but file theft charges with police. 

Though I seriously doubt shop was not aware as purchase that large shop would insist on passport or ID card .

I am almost certain shop is in on it 

Jewellery shop was indeed involved as they allowed her to use 2 different credit cards with 2 different names.1st under the Indian's name FAILED,How on earth could they accept the 2nd card with different name???????

I bet their cctv was not on?

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

bank will ask to see signed credit card receipt and when signatures do not match, shop’s bank gives back the money and shop can not do anything about it, but file theft charges with police. 

Though I seriously doubt shop was not aware as purchase that large shop would insist on passport or ID card .

Sometimes the shop will agree to a cash agreement with the thief. A one million Baht ring goes on the credit card but the shop actually gives the thief a cash payment (maybe a certain percentage of the ring’s price) instead of the ring. The thief disappears with cash and the shop, although retaining the ring, makes a generous profit on the million Baht ‘sale’.

"short pretty plump thai lady" in a jewelry shop buying a 1ml baht gold ring with a foreign credit card not in her name....TIT and anything and everything is possible here.....I wonder what tale the jewelry shop owner comes up with to explain the sale :whistling:

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

In my many years in Thailand, I have NEVER EVER seen any seller check, if my signature matches the one on the card.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:
5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

the shop is in cahoots with the woman

Ka-ching

Ka-ching

Ka-ching

We have got a winner!    :biggrin:

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

30k USD worth on one credit card doesn't happen every day, the jeweler should have taken a very close look. and the fact that the woman tried to purchase the same ring twice on two different days with cards not in her name should have rung a bell as loud as thunder. bring in the jeweler for serious questioning.

Which means the jeweler is either choosing to look the other way or is complicit.  The authorities should go after the retailer for perpetrating fraud - nevermind - TIT.

49 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Just shows you - never drink coffee before bed.

many years ago a friend of mine was encouraged to drink water before bed "activity". The only activity he got was dreams he couldn't even remember...

also, back in those days there was a gang of girls that used to put some very strong stuff on their nipples and lips. Tasting even a bit would send the guy into a very deep sleep. Problem was that the drug they used had bad effect on the heart's muscle and it was detected when few young men in their 30's (mostly from Germany)died of heart problems with no medical history to suggest a heart problem. Investigation in Germany found that the only common denominator was a visit to Pataya shortly before they died

1 hour ago, StefanBBK said:

The credit card company should not pay the Jewellery shop, because of their gross negligence. 

Hope the Tourist recovers quickly.

Unless the cardholder is a high roller who commonly spends that much, a charge that big in foreign country would usually be flagged as "suspicious activity" and declined by the credit card company.

About 30 years ago I was drugged in my room in Pattaya by 2 women. They gave me chiclets I quess the chiclets were coated with some thing. Knocked me out for 25  hours. I was lucky to survive. They robbed me of course but left camera and credit cards any thing that could be traced. The police took a report and that is where it ended of course. I could not believe my metabolism when I recovered. I could eat and my body absorbed the food as fast as I put it in. I remember eating a pizza and 2 plates of spaghetti and still hungry. and bottles of water.

Do not wish it on any one.

Ha ! Talk about signatures and Cards ... whilst passing through BKK Airport duty free once, I bought the wife and daughter some duty free perfume ... paid with my Visa Card ... the staff were very observant and well trained to notice that there was no signature on the back of the card ... I said I never place my signature there in case somebody copies it ! They said they cannot accept the card then ... Ohhh I said, and with disgust, I signed the back of the card in front of them ... Ohh that's OK they said, and the payment was made (I suppose I could have been anybody but they had my passport also ).... But you should have seen the shocked look on their faces when I received the card back, I reached for a sample bottle of perfume, sprayed the back of the card and proceeded to wipe my signature off .... Derrr !

Archived