Hunt on for Chiang Mai woman after drugged, robbed tourist dies

rooster59

1 hour ago, BestB said:

If i wanted your advise, please be rest assured, i would have asked for it

Ditto, but since you were the one who started handing out unsolicited adviCe and edicts at the outset, here are a few tips and pointers to help make your stay here easier:

Firstly, don't stay in hotels that require deposits that must be repaid before you can leave, it's a recipe for the hotel to find a reason to charge you for something or other, the Dusit chain, Marriot chain and Sheraton don't do that.

Second, hotels really don't like to keep sending guest information to Immigration every day, it's labor-intensive and a pain, that's why they stopped doing so a few years ago and then afterward the process had to be massively reinstated and reinforced. That said, many hotels will still try to cut corners on this process and they often do so by registering only the name of the person who books the room rather than the names of all the people who are staying in it. With that in mind, accompanying guests who produce their Thai driver license for identification purposes can escape the need to carry their passport at all times and as said earlier, avoid also the TM30 hassle.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..the charges should be:

...murder...

...attempted murder....

...theft....

...fraud....

...at least.....

...and please don't allow a murderer...or any criminal ....the opportunity to 'explain away their crimes'....

...that is utter nonsense....

...irrelevant...

I...........

believe.........

that I understand........

what it is that you're trying to say..............

Unless...............

I'm somehow.......

mistaken......

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

My vote is for the latter.... "they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world"......then again??

20 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

The credit card company should not pay the Jewellery shop, because of their gross negligence. 

Hope the Tourist recovers quickly.

They won't. The shop is clearly guilty of not checking the identity, at the very least the address associated with the cards. The credit card company has an absolute right to claw back the money. Rest assured they will. It will serve as a lesson to the jewelry company about letting shady people make purchases. It was their greed that made them overlook the obvious red flags

Every hotel I have stayed at since 1998 offered a safety box either at the reception or in the room.  Pretty self explanatory, if you want to keep your valuables safe - lock them in the safety box.  Why would anyone keep large amounts  of money or their credit card sitting out in their hotel room where anyone working at the hotel could come in and take when they are out or sleeping? 

15 hours ago, DrDave said:

Why would the American tourist have such a high credit limit on his credit card? A limit in excess of 30,000USD is highly unusual. 30K+ is about 5-10 times higher than the average credit limit.

Why did the card-issuing bank approve the transaction without an additional level of verification - especially with the card being used in a foreign country?  My bank declines transactions and sends me emails and text messages at the slightest hint of anything irregular, even on normal, low-dollar transactions in the US.

Surely you are joking, no? Are you an American? You are saying that American banks give credit limits of only 3,000 USD on average? When is the last time you were there? One of my credit cards from a USA bank has a limit of 58,000 USD, another 18,000 USD, while my American Express card has no limit.

I could be reading this in the Pattaya forum and the Chiang Maier's would come on and say how this never happens in CM.

But, it seems CM has been on a crime spree recently.

What has happened to the quaint little town with a charming moat and no crime??

Wow. What is the moral of this story? Never accept a beverage from a bar girl once in your hotel room? Never leave unopened bottles around? If someone is determined to drug you, there is only so much you can do to prevent it, I guess.

I do hope the surviving tourist recovers. As far as the dead man goes, one hopes they can find this woman and one hopes she is prosecuted and jailed for decades. She deserves that. Sounds like she is in deep doo doo. She really messed up. Some of these barbiturates and opioids these days are so strong, I can see how this could happen. She probably erred on the side of giving him way too much of the drug. Fatal mistake. I assume I am not the only one on this forum who questions the talent, ability and motivation of the average local police detective.

Surely you are joking, no? Are you an American? You are saying that American banks give credit limits of only 3,000 USD on average? When is the last time you were there? One of my credit cards from a USA bank has a limit of 58,000 USD, another 18,000 USD, while my American Express card has no limit.

The average credit limit on US cards is a little over $8000 but is strongly a function of your credit rating. A credit line of $3000 would be about average for people who have a credit score around 600.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:42 AM, StefanBBK said:

The credit card company should not pay the Jewellery shop, because of their gross negligence. 

Hope the Tourist recovers quickly.

I'd say "gross corruption", beyond negligence. Perhaps an accessory. Or maybe "gross profit motive" at best.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I could be reading this in the Pattaya forum and the Chiang Maier's would come on and say how this never happens in CM.

But, it seems CM has been on a crime spree recently.

What has happened to the quaint little town with a charming moat and no crime??

I'm am quite sure that people who live in CM would not go on to a Pattaya forum and say things like this never happen in CM .

Karaokes over charging is well known here in CM and no one suggests that there is no crime (although theres not much of it )

Why do Pattaya people keep coming onto CM forums and telling everyone how much better Pattaya is to CM ?

Its Pattaya people have some kind of rivalry with CM

Wow. What is the moral of this story? Never accept a beverage from a bar girl once in your hotel room? Never leave unopened bottles around? If someone is determined to drug you, there is only so much you can do to prevent it, I guess.

I do hope the surviving tourist recovers. As far as the dead man goes, one hopes they can find this woman and one hopes she is prosecuted and jailed for decades. She deserves that. Sounds like she is in deep doo doo. She really messed up. Some of these barbiturates and opioids these days are so strong, I can see how this could happen. She probably erred on the side of giving him way too much of the drug. Fatal mistake. I assume I am not the only one on this forum who questions the talent, ability and motivation of the average local police detective.
The police might not be the best but it doesn't sound like the criminal(s) covered their tracks very well. Aside from credit cards transactions being traceable, CCTV footage of the woman has been released and is of pretty good quality.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:38 AM, ezzra said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

true,but there a lots of mugs in thailand who hand there atm&credit cards to their 'girlfriends' & let them buy whatever they want,so it could be the jewellers just thought that was the case.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:54 AM, Mickmouse1 said:

Jewellery shop was indeed involved as they allowed her to use 2 different credit cards with 2 different names.1st under the Indian's name FAILED,How on earth could they accept the 2nd card with different name???????

I bet their cctv was not on?

Or either of the Hotel's CCTV

On 8/26/2018 at 12:09 PM, geriatrickid said:

I  believe that the Indian's credit card was denied because there was a PIN requirement.

The USA is still using the signature  format, which makes fraud/theft easier. The credit card companies believe that a PIN requirement would discourage CC use and are of the view that  American consumers do not have the ability  to  use a PIN properly. 

Yes like seat belts in cars, so the world has to get lumbered with air bags.

Archived