Hunt on for Chiang Mai woman after drugged, robbed tourist dies

rooster59

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Sometimes the shop will agree to a cash agreement with the thief. A one million Baht ring goes on the credit card but the shop actually gives the thief a cash payment (maybe a certain percentage of the ring’s price) instead of the ring. The thief disappears with cash and the shop, although retaining the ring, makes a generous profit on the million Baht ‘sale’.

Spot on

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Easy to find out who the woman is.......

I mean....how many women bought a diamond ring

worth 1 million THB that week in Chiang Mai?

Relatively easy you would think, however for this to happen would mean the jewelry shop would have to take back the ring (after it was used for evidence) and then return the million Baht - That is just not going to happen! Probably the best sale they made all year, and "no sazzle frazzle pesky tourist is going to ruin it for me!"

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

In my many years in Thailand, I have NEVER EVER seen any seller check, if my signature matches the one on the card.

True but try to make a large purchase and without a fail all want to see passport or ID card. 

For 1 million baht purchase most certainly they would want some id. 

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

In my many years in Thailand, I have NEVER EVER seen any seller check, if my signature matches the one on the card.

Not just here. In oz I used to insist they check just to remind them of their obligations. Now it’s chips and PINs. 

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Sometimes the shop will agree to a cash agreement with the thief. A one million Baht ring goes on the credit card but the shop actually gives the thief a cash payment (maybe a certain percentage of the ring’s price) instead of the ring. The thief disappears with cash and the shop, although retaining the ring, makes a generous profit on the million Baht ‘sale’.

Nowhere in the report does it mention the woman purchased the ring from a jewellery shop. She could have bought the ring on-line, and provided the card past through the bank security,  very easy to do, no questions asked. This is how most credit card thieves make purchases.

Anyway, her days are numbered, only a matter of time before she`s caught. One thing I noticed, the report does not name the bar. Most likely somewhere in the LK. Beware, they`re becoming desperate.

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

“Pretty woman, short-haired, coffee, Diamond”

Old movie. Audry Hepburn? breakfast or dinner at Tiffany’s? But with happy ending.

RIP For the Indian.

except the lovely Audrey Hepburn was not plump.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

When I lived in North America it was rare (possibly never) when it came to checking the signature.  

If it was a gold shop and a purchase of that scale, they certainly do have security cameras and they do work!!! And if she went to the same shop twice, there will be even more camera evidence and footage!

The hotels should also have a security system. If she has duped two different foreigners at different hotels, someone must have security footage.

The credit card company can say where the card was used.

Anyway, it is fraud, the credit card company can refuse to honour it if signatures and details do not match the person handing over the card.

Even then I thought this kind of purchase was insured against fraud?

if the signature does not match the credit card company can simply blame the store and its negligence?

2 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

She could have bought the ring on-line, and provided the card past through the bank security,  very easy to do, no questions asked. This is how most credit card thieves make purchases.

right

And Bar girls are known for doing that. 

However on the off chance that far fetched scenario is true, likely she HAS not got the jewelry yet and they can intercept it and arrest her. Companies that deliver online jewelry purchases are very particular about when they make a delivery and where.. 

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Correct......Me too.....

When I pay with card at SuperMarkets they don't even look at the signature or name. Not so much as a glance. Same with petrol stations or in fact  most everywhere. If I dropped my card it could easily be used multiple times before I noticed. Fortunately I get an SMS notification on each use so could  block it after first use. God knows how much hassle it would be to try to get a refund from the bank....  Oh well, that's the risk we all take I guess..

1 minute ago, LomSak27 said:

right

And Bar girls are known for doing that. 

However on the off chance that far fetched scenario is true, likely she HAS not got the jewelry yet and they can intercept it and arrest her. Companies that deliver online jewelry purchases are very particular about when they make a delivery and where.. 

Loksam27,

And you and I both know a Thai chancer will be chasing the cash straight away, they have no patience to wait for any online delivery, even if they were smart enough, which they are not.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

I  believe that the Indian's credit card was denied because there was a PIN requirement.

The USA is still using the signature  format, which makes fraud/theft easier. The credit card companies believe that a PIN requirement would discourage CC use and are of the view that  American consumers do not have the ability  to  use a PIN properly. 

54 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Ha ! Talk about signatures and Cards ... whilst passing through BKK Airport duty free once, I bought the wife and daughter some duty free perfume ... paid with my Visa Card ... the staff were very observant and well trained to notice that there was no signature on the back of the card ... I said I never place my signature there in case somebody copies it ! They said they cannot accept the card then ... Ohhh I said, and with disgust, I signed the back of the card in front of them ... Ohh that's OK they said, and the payment was made (I suppose I could have been anybody but they had my passport also ).... But you should have seen the shocked look on their faces when I received the card back, I reached for a sample bottle of perfume, sprayed the back of the card and proceeded to wipe my signature off .... Derrr !

Never heard of anyone else doing this. I leave my cards unsigned also for the same logic. 

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

There is a shop in CM that sells 1m THB diamond rings?  

Not necessarily, it could just be a diamond shop who was willing to put a $30K charge on a card and then split the profits with the person who stole the card in the event that the credit card company pays out.

29 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I  believe that the Indian's credit card was denied because there was a PIN requirement.

The USA is still using the signature  format, which makes fraud/theft easier. The credit card companies believe that a PIN requirement would discourage CC use and are of the view that  American consumers do not have the ability  to  use a PIN properly. 

Or the Indian's card may have been declined because the credit card company found it to be suspicious that he'd be making such a large purchase or because the credit card company didn't know that he was in Thailand.  I've have my credit and ATM cards declined before in foreign countries simply because I forgot to inform my credit card company that I was traveling.

34 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

actually its a function of contract law.

2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

True until the chargeback comes. Can someone with credit card payment experience let us know the time drag between a charge and payment to the vendor.  Unless you have regular million baht charges I would think the credit card companies would slow pay until time to dispute was over but not sure about the payment to vendor process. 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

bank will ask to see signed credit card receipt and when signatures do not match, shop’s bank gives back the money and shop can not do anything about it, but file theft charges with police. 

No worries for the shop. They have the ring back already if indeed there ever was a 'ring'.

3 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Or the Indian's card may have been declined because the credit card company found it to be suspicious that he'd be making such a large purchase or because the credit card company didn't know that he was in Thailand.  I've have my credit and ATM cards declined before in foreign countries simply because I forgot to inform my credit card company that I was traveling.

Or it might have been that the amount the the shop tried to charge was more than the Indian's credit limit. 

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

30k USD worth on one credit card doesn't happen every day, the jeweler should have taken a very close look. and the fact that the woman tried to purchase the same ring twice on two different days with cards not in her name should have rung a bell as loud as thunder. bring in the jeweler for serious questioning.

The jeweller is an accomplice, do not even ask the question!

No signature on a credit or debit card, the card is actually invalid - read YOUR copy of the agreement.  the merchant agreement also states the signature on the card must match the receipt signature in order to complete the sale and deliver the merchandise - past merchant writing.

My signature has only been checked one time in the past 7-8 years, at MY THAI bank ( I was using a USA CARD ). I had to resign my slip to match the US card even tho my passport sig and my THAI ID sig were all different.

Who would have THUNK!

Edit...

Also a " out of pattern" should trigger a refused card.  My US bank is damn good for out of pattern..stoped a $10 charge in the US because was "out of pattern" although I made the purchase.  when I called the bank, - had to talk to a supervisor because of fraud alert, "Sorry Sir", I replied, NOT a problem, you are looking out for me, thank you.

All good.

More surprising than the charge to the Indian victim's card being declined by the credit card company is that the American's card wasn't declined.  Also, since the credit limit on most cards is well under a million baht, I would have thought that a thief would make a series of smaller charges until they reached the credit limit rather than attempt to make a $30K charge right off the bat. 

Archived