Hunt on for Chiang Mai woman after drugged, robbed tourist dies

rooster59

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ezzra said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

3rd world criminals and a 3rd world story 

I'm surprised that the American's card didn't get blocked but perhaps he has one with a really high limit and few (if any) restrictions on purchase amounts. Some Cards (like American Express or Diner's Club) could have very high limits and allow you to basically max out the card on a single purchase.
As mentioned, the Indian's card probably was declined because of the purchase amount. If you try to make a purchase of (however much) and it's declined, you can't simply try a smaller amount as the card would probably be blocked until the card owner called the Issuer to have the block lifted.

I have a Visa Gold card and have to jump through hoops all the time when I want to use it for the first time (or two) in a new place or online, even for relatively minor amounts. Visa usually immediately declines the purchase and I have to call them, go through the automated system until finally reaching a human to get transferred to a "security" person, answer a few questions and then wait for the block to be lifted before trying again. In some cases I've had to do that a couple of times (like the first couple of times I tried to buy something from Lazada). Used to really screw them up when I'd buy something from on online shop in Thailand, using my Canadian issued Visa, from an ISP registered in Pakistan and a ph

one number registered in Afghanistan ! :crazy:  

There has to have been collusion of some kind though between the thief and the shop owner and I'm sure it won't be hard to track down the jewellery shop (which I suspect they already know as they already know she had tried to buy the same ring, twice).
Between hotel CCTVs and Jewellery Shop CCTVs, they should ("should") have an idea of who they are looking for. I suspect the Jewellery shop owner won't risk their own neck to cover for them, especially as one person died. 

And it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that she was able to get away with it. When my dad died I took his passport, ATM cards, bank books and other ID and locked it in my home. At the time of his death he had about 250,000 baht in a Savings account (in a Thai bank). Even though I had all the books and ID and such, his "companion" was able to go to the bank, get a new bank book issued and take out 20,000 baht every day until the account was empty, even though the bank was supposed to phone dad each time and his "companion" was supposed to have a signed copy of his passport to give to the bank each time (she must have made a stack of them before I was able to get his stuff and lock it up).
(Shortly after dad died we had the ceremony at the temple and, literally, the next day I had to go back to work in Afghanistan. She waited until I was gone before systematically emptying his account.)
She even managed to scoop a small interest payment that was deposited 2 months after he died !

When I went to the bank (over 3 months later) and asked them how it was possible, they just shrugged their shoulders and couldn't give me an answer.

Perhaps the most amazing thing is, 5 pages into the story and not one person has posted about how "Gene Ber Ulfgang" isn't a "real" American name.

You can bet there'd have been a dozen posts about that if his nationality had of been reported as being from the UK instead of the USA.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

Weil, chopping is always the best penalty. Even IS is using this kind of. And of course we are condemning this practise. Bias? 

I have a high degree of confidence the Thai police will be able to apprehend this person quickly. Even if hotel and jewelry shop CCTV was inoperative (unlikely), there will undoubtably be additional footage in vicinity of hotel and jewelry shop, several witnesses who will be able to identify her from CCTV footage, and in an urban environment, the police will be able to see where she went after leaving the hotel and jewelry shop. This type of crime needs to be punished severely.

6 hours ago, arithai12 said:

30k USD worth on one credit card doesn't happen every day, the jeweler should have taken a very close look. and the fact that the woman tried to purchase the same ring twice on two different days with cards not in her name should have rung a bell as loud as thunder. bring in the jeweler for serious questioning.

I bet the jeweler split the money with her and kept the ring. Of course his CCTV wasn't working that day.

1 hour ago, callcharlie2001 said:

She ordered coffee both nights? Suspect she put a sleeping aid in the beverage.

1 hour ago, callcharlie2001 said:

She ordered coffee both nights? Suspect she put a sleeping aid in the beverage.

No sh*t Sherlock

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

I use my card for gasoline and shopping at at tesco lotus  . its never checked not even look at my signature could be any bodys  . as long as it pays money who cares whos it is . 

Strange why the credit card company did not contact him before allowing the transaction. I have a visa credit card through HSBC. Any transactions over £500 they call me before allowing the purchase. I travel quite a lot overseas for work so always inform the credit card company when and where I will be travelling to and for how long. Have to switch roaming on my phone when I am paying hotel bills or making a high cost purchase. If the card company can’t contact me they automatically decline the purchase. 

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

No signature on a credit or debit card, the card is actually invalid - read YOUR copy of the agreement. 

True. Even though my European cards are PIN based now and no signature is required, on the back of the card it clearly states under the signature field: "Not Valid Unless Signed".

4 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Many don't

I stayed in a hotel last week, and my ID was not required even though I offered it

That’s a serious breach even more so if you a foreigner . Hotel must have a copy of your passport to report to immigration 

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

That’s a serious breach even more so if you a foreigner . Hotel must have a copy of your passport to report to immigration 

When my wife and I travel in Thailand I always let her book the hotels in her name, I never get asked for my passport at check in since the reservation is always in her name, my Thai drivers license is sufficient for identification purposes and since it contains my old passport number, there are no TM30 issues.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I  believe that the Indian's credit card was denied because there was a PIN requirement.

The USA is still using the signature  format, which makes fraud/theft easier. The credit card companies believe that a PIN requirement would discourage CC use and are of the view that  American consumers do not have the ability  to  use a PIN properly. 

I have a European card which uses PIN when i buy an airticket online.

But in thailand i bought something from 90k baht on the card and it was already paid before i put my signature on the papers. I was astonished it worked like that and expected to use the PIN but it wasn't necessary.

7 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Easy to find out who the woman is.......

I mean....how many women bought a diamond ring

worth 1 million THB that week in Chiang Mai?

You think the ring was "worth" a million baht? Who's stupid?

8 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

You think the ring was "worth" a million baht? Who's stupid?

Doremifaso was merely stating what was in the OP. Therefore I don’t see why you have to resort to offensive name calling. 

I used to frequent a bar in the same area .

Another felang guy used to frequent the same bar as well , he went home one night and died of a heart attack , natural causes .

Speaking to one of the working girls a few weeks later , she casually stated that one of the girls put a pill in his drink on the night that he died .

32 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

When my wife and I travel in Thailand I always let her book the hotels in her name, I never get asked for my passport at check in since the reservation is always in her name, my Thai drivers license is sufficient for identification purposes and since it contains my old passport number, there are no TM30 issues.

That is also breach , any foreigner staying in hotel must be reported to immigration each and every time 

5 hours ago, Xonax said:

In my many years in Thailand, I have NEVER EVER seen any seller check, if my signature matches the one on the card.

On my new CC, I still didn’t sign the signature field because every pen failed to work on it. I’m using the card since three months now without any problem, no one cares to check the signature. 

How is the shop not in on this, as I am sure many have already said. Bird walks into a jewellers 2 days running to buy the dame diamond for 1000000 with 2 different cards, neither of which were hers.

This will be a good example of how far this no to corruption stuff goes. The woman would be easy as pie to find as even if the shop didn't have cameras, which EVERY JEWELLER does, cameras in the street would be able to follow her to at least the road, then the transactions would coincide time we wise..... But if the team trying to solve this get 50% of the diamond value, how can they say no born and raised there?

Archived