Hunt on for Chiang Mai woman after drugged, robbed tourist dies

rooster59

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m using the card since three months now without any problem, no one cares to check the signature. 

I paid for some dental work recently using a CC i forgot to sign, the receptionist girl briefly seemed to look for the signature ,said something in Thai to her friend and then processed the payment ?

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

“Pretty woman, short-haired, coffee, Diamond”

Old movie. Audry Hepburn? breakfast or dinner at Tiffany’s? But with happy ending.

RIP For the Indian.

Audrey Hepburn wasn’t a fat Thai tart whoops sorry plump political correctness must be used.

Why would the American tourist have such a high credit limit on his credit card? A limit in excess of 30,000USD is highly unusual. 30K+ is about 5-10 times higher than the average credit limit.

Why did the card-issuing bank approve the transaction without an additional level of verification - especially with the card being used in a foreign country?  My bank declines transactions and sends me emails and text messages at the slightest hint of anything irregular, even on normal, low-dollar transactions in the US.

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

RE - either the shop in in cahoots with the woman

Not neccessary. I have during the last 20 years of using my AmEx pretty much all over the world including international airports been asked to show a ID just a few times so unfortunately the routines or the lack of routines in this setting open for scams....

25 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'll be sure to point that out to the hotel, next time!

When one day you will be turned away for not having your passport and money not refunded , will see who be making smattass comments ?

I would be looking at the person who sold a ring for 1million baht and asking many questions and their relationship with this woman who is wanted cannot believe someone can walk into a shop and make such a purchase without having to provide ID

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Why would the American tourist have such a high credit limit on his credit card? A limit in excess of 30,000USD is highly unusual. 30K+ is about 5-10 times higher than the average credit limit.

Why did the card-issuing bank approve the transaction without an additional level of verification - especially with the card being used in a foreign country?  My bank declines transactions and sends me emails and text messages at the slightest hint of anything irregular, even on normal, low-dollar transactions in the US.

Bogus information.

If one has excellent credit and a credit history, 30k is not unusual.

Also, if you notify your credit card company you are traveling or are a frequent traveler, they will verify nothing.

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

30,000 is not that much for a card. More than thirty years ago when i was really into cards I had American express unlimited,Visa 50,000,Master card 50,000 and over 100,000 on store cards. And that was 30 years ago Now 30,000 is probably average.

..the charges should be:

...murder...

...attempted murder....

...theft....

...fraud....

...at least.....

...and please don't allow a murderer...or any criminal ....the opportunity to 'explain away their crimes'....

...that is utter nonsense....

...irrelevant...

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

Platinum or Diamond Platinum cards have limits up to $100 000.

While transaction was high, it is not unusual for high limit credit cards to have such purchases.

I always buy cars with my credit card, because it gives huge amount of points, plus many extra perks like extra 1 year warranty.

If you notify the bank which country card would be used, bank has no reason to decline the transaction, especially if card holder may be known to make large purchases.

If you have not notified the bank, then yes transaction would be blocked, so will the card until cardholder contacts the bank,

Keep in mind, its not manual security,but software security attached to your account where some security measures can be removed or added on depending on customer spending habits.

Saying all of the above, this money is not lost as earlier explained, after card holder will contact the bank, this money would be refunded in full(may take 30-45 days) shop that made the transaction may also get slapped with a chargeback fine (from memory $250) by its own bank or even loose the EDC facility all together.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

When one day you will be turned away for not having your passport and money not refunded , will see who be making smattass comments ?

What are you some kind of amateur judge and cop....go get a life.

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..the charges should be:

...murder...

...attempted murder....

...theft....

...fraud....

...at least.....

...and please don't allow a murderer...or any criminal ....the opportunity to 'explain away their crimes'....

...that is utter nonsense....

...irrelevant...

Its highly unlikely that she planned on killing him, so , there wont be a murder charge

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

A thai woman goes into a jewelry shop and buy a diamond for 1 million baht using foreign credit card with foreign name on it with no supporting ID and the sell it to her? either the shop in in cahoots with the woman or they're the stupidest and most gullible people in the world, apart from that, this woman is a murder and deserves the death penalty before she kills again...

OR SHE GAVE THE CARD TO HER FARANG BOYFRIEND TO BY THE DIAMOND RING.......no questions would be asked then.

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

30k USD worth on one credit card doesn't happen every day, the jeweler should have taken a very close look. and the fact that the woman tried to purchase the same ring twice on two different days with cards not in her name should have rung a bell as loud as thunder. bring in the jeweler for serious questioning.

In Chiang Mai I bought a 20,000 baht gold bracelet for my wife. They would not accept my debit card until I'd gone back home and got my passport. They copied it in the shop. So this story sounds a bit strange to me, plus most people don't have 1000000 baht availability on their cards!

I remember having to call my US credit card customer service number from Thailand when my card's information was compromised.  We're talking less than 200 USD, though.  I think it was eventually deleted, erased from my account.  But a purchase of such magnitude?  The shop is definitely in on the theft.  

On a side note, I read about an American tourist having her tens of thousands of US jewellery and cash lifted from the very hotel she was staying.  Of course, she's the victim, but when I looked at the hotel she'd booked, it's a dumpy little 3 star.  The article stated she "Put the 'do not disturb' sign up."  Not all tourists are stupid, but wow...just some basic security knowledge could be beneficial before travelling.  

As for the people in this tragedy.  Rest in Peace.  What a shitty way to go.  I bet the husband wishes he'd died as well.

Archived