Best Fishing Park ?

Mattybyrne88

Staying in Pattaya and Bangkok. I was thinking of going to castaway in Pattaya but not sure yet. Also when in Bangkok I was thinking Bungsamran as I've heard great reviews and huge fish but it's pretty expensive also another spot I was looking at was Jurassic mountain park in petchaturi, can anyone recommend this place ? It's nearly same distance as it is to bungsamran. Please any recommendations would be great. It's my first visit to Thailand 

Ummm I hate to burst your bubble but Bungsamran, even at the farang price, is still cheaper than Jurassic or Gillhams. There are also differences with bait methods and presentation although neither place allows you to bring outside bait (you must buy the bait at the venue). 

Jurassic doesnt allow outsiders to bring their own rods and rigs without prior permission, but at Bungsamran you can bring almost any rig you want as long as youre targeting Catfish and Carp species (predatory species are a different story there). The Arapaima arent included in the initial price at BSR, thats a 20,000 baht story right there. 

I think Jurassic alligns itself with some UK Carp fishing association or something like that

• 4 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 12:41 PM, HoudiniXLogic said:

Ummm I hate to burst your bubble but Bungsamran, even at the farang price, is still cheaper than Jurassic or Gillhams. There are also differences with bait methods and presentation although neither place allows you to bring outside bait (you must buy the bait at the venue). 

Jurassic doesnt allow outsiders to bring their own rods and rigs without prior permission, but at Bungsamran you can bring almost any rig you want as long as youre targeting Catfish and Carp species (predatory species are a different story there). The Arapaima arent included in the initial price at BSR, thats a 20,000 baht story right there. 

I think Jurassic alligns itself with some UK Carp fishing association or something like that

You cannot compare Jurassic with Bungsamran, the venue is 10 times nicer and far more species. I must admit that in general you might catch more in Bungsamran. But I would go to Jurassic every time over Bungsamran. Probably because i done bungsamran so many times already and it kinda gets boring that there is only 1 way to fish that works.

I have not been to Pattaya since 2008 so I'm not up to speed on the two quite decent fishing parks there. One was soi 16, I think, Jontiem. The other was just outside Pattaya on the through road. Both held common carp and the usual catfish species. The wife landed a mekong at 44kg and I caught a common of about 6kg.

My best from Bansumran is 34kg, but I lost a mekong, estimated to be in the order of 100/120kg at the net. That was back in 2007. Never caught a carp there. I did hear that Bansumran lost quite a few fish a couple of years back.

Nong Khai has a good fishery for commons. The catfish size is ordinary.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Cha Am is the best cheapest fishery in Thailand, I've had Chayo Praya catfish over 50kgs plus huge Mekong and Sawai, 200bht per day!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am not aware of a Cha-Am fishery unless you are talking about Wilson's (younger brother of the great JW) place.

When I was there 10 years ago a farang caught a red-tail in the lower pond that must have been close to 50kg. I didn't fish that day, but the wife caught 4 Julian-price carp from the upper pool.

I am not aware of a Cha-Am fishery unless you are talking about Wilson's (younger brother of the great JW) place.

When I was there 10 years ago a farang caught a red-tail in the lower pond that must have been close to 50kg. I didn't fish that day, but the wife caught 4 Julian-price carp from the upper pool.

I'm talking about the Thai fishery Cha Am fishing and resort owned by Lek, used to be 3 lakes but Crustys is no longer(not been for a long time) Predator lake for Araipaima and Carp, main lake for all species but not Arry.

I've had over 50 fish in a day, easy fishing but not easy if you want the Monsters.

3 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

JW place is in Chumphon, Met John Wilson at Cha Am fishing park, my boyhood fishing hero, what a nice man he was.

It was a fair while ago so I reckon I've got things wrong. The fishing park we went to was some 10k inland of Hua Hin. Very commercial, with plenty of concrete. I was told that it was owned by JW's brother. Only been there the once.

I fish in places near Nong khai and Udon Thani now I've moved that way.

There is a fishing park off the Udon Thani - Sakon Nakon road (about 15k east of Udon) belonging to another John Wilson (not the deceased JW). This has some cracking fish and is not expensive at all. Can't recall the name (think it is Lazania or something similar) but they have a boat on the lake named 'Thaitanic'.

We have eight ponds on one of our farms, and one is kept as a 'pet' pool. Plenty of koi carp and Mekongs up to 1.6 metres long. I am training then to take bread from my hand. 

It was a fair while ago so I reckon I've got things wrong. The fishing park we went to was some 10k inland of Hua Hin. Very commercial, with plenty of concrete. I was told that it was owned by JW's brother. Only been there the once.

I fish in places near Nong khai and Udon Thani now I've moved that way.

There is a fishing park off the Udon Thani - Sakon Nakon road (about 15k east of Udon) belonging to another John Wilson (not the deceased JW). This has some cracking fish and is not expensive at all. Can't recall the name (think it is Lazania or something similar) but they have a boat on the lake named 'Thaitanic'.

We have eight ponds on one of our farms, and one is kept as a 'pet' pool. Plenty of koi carp and Mekongs up to 1.6 metres long. I am training then to take bread from my hand. 

I've been fishing in Udon Thani Leks fishing and ranch, not cheap but fair fishing.

I live in Phuket no fishing here worth mentioning.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 6:08 PM, robblok said:

You cannot compare Jurassic with Bungsamran, the venue is 10 times nicer and far more species. I must admit that in general you might catch more in Bungsamran. But I would go to Jurassic every time over Bungsamran. Probably because i done bungsamran so many times already and it kinda gets boring that there is only 1 way to fish that works.

Wont argue with you there. I just feel that BSR is better as a side-activity whereas Jurassic takes more of a dedicated fisherman. 

Although personally, the best fishing park for me is VIP fishing park over by Bang Khun Tien. Basically pond-reared queensland groupers, grey snappers, barramundi, and sometimes cobia. Depending on the package you can take home or release (if just fishing for fun). 

Just now, HoudiniXLogic said:

Wont argue with you there. I just feel that BSR is better as a side-activity whereas Jurassic takes more of a dedicated fisherman. 

Although personally, the best fishing park for me is VIP fishing park over by Bang Khun Tien. Basically pond-reared queensland groupers, grey snappers, barramundi, and sometimes cobia. Depending on the package you can take home or release (if just fishing for fun). 

I agree with you about the bungsamran VS Jurassic 

'The VIP Fishingpark i dont know much about never been there. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I agree with you about the bungsamran VS Jurassic 

'The VIP Fishingpark i dont know much about never been there. 

You should definitely try it out. Lures only though (any kind). I had not done much lure fishing since I was a kid (except for light vertical jigging) and my wrist was pretty sore by the end of the day. 

1 minute ago, HoudiniXLogic said:

You should definitely try it out. Lures only though (any kind). I had not done much lure fishing since I was a kid (except for light vertical jigging) and my wrist was pretty sore by the end of the day. 

All my gear is more for bait fishing then predator fishing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi just spent 2 month s in Uk and got my rods out again after 13 years of no fishing.

done 10 nights fishing in Uk and blanked.....lol,,so dying to do more fishing now, had a read over a lot of threads here ,I live krabi 10 minuits from Gilliam’s,them prices not for me though actually more expensive than fishing in Uk.

so have seen Cham and hua hin has fishing lakes ,what about more places down south surathanni ,Trang ,songkla etc etc anyone know of any places that way.

thanks in advance

Cha Am fishing park(200bht) is a long way but it's worth the trip, obviously best to go for at least 5 days, I've had Chayo Praya catfish over 60kgs, Cahor 50kgs, mekong up to 50kgs, huge Sawai also, going this Nov.

Hi just spent 2 month s in Uk and got my rods out again after 13 years of no fishing.
done 10 nights fishing in Uk and blanked.....lol,,so dying to do more fishing now, had a read over a lot of threads here ,I live krabi 10 minuits from Gilliam’s,them prices not for me though actually more expensive than fishing in Uk.
so have seen Cham and hua hin has fishing lakes ,what about more places down south surathanni ,Trang ,songkla etc etc anyone know of any places that way.
thanks in advance

4 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

Cha Am fishing park(200bht) is a long way but it's worth the trip, obviously best to go for at least 5 days, I've had Chayo Praya catfish over 60kgs, Cahor 50kgs, mekong up to 50kgs, huge Sawai also, going this Nov.

Yeah that what I thought that area looked about the closest I tour a lot on the motorbike so will just ride the bike up there ,will try to get up there in next couple of weeks????????

Main lake is 200bht per day, Predator lake has 2 tickets, 4000k for Araipaima or 1500bht for Carp ticket, love it there, met the great John Wilson there a couple of yrs ago.

Going for 5 days this Nov, can't wait!

Yeah that what I thought that area looked about the closest I tour a lot on the motorbike so will just ride the bike up there ,will try to get up there in next couple of weeks[emoji106][emoji106]

2 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Main lake is 200bht per day, Predator lake has 2 tickets, 4000k for Araipaima or 1500bht for Carp ticket, love it there, met the great John Wilson there a couple of yrs ago.

What’s in the 200 bht lake,,,,,,prices over here are crazy just done 10 days/nights on one of the best day ticket fisheries in the U.K. and it cost £30 for 24 hours fishing.

im after a Redtail catfish.

As said huge Chayo Praya, huge Sawai, huge Mekong, red tail cats but cant say how big, some Carp but all big ones moved to Predator lake.

Not been for a long time so can't say how good it is now, been there many times over the yrs and it has never disappointed.

Personally I would rather spend 10k on a weeks fishing including accommodation, food and beer rather than pay over 7k for 1 days fishing at a tourist park where there is no guarantee you will catch anything!

went to Gillhams many yrs ago, out of 4 people I was the only one to catch, over 5500bht for the day!

What’s in the 200 bht lake,,,,,,prices over here are crazy just done 10 days/nights on one of the best day ticket fisheries in the U.K. and it cost £30 for 24 hours fishing. im after a Redtail catfish.  

Archived