Names of snaks in thai language

glegolo

Do anybody of you guys have a website or similar, that describes the different snakes of Thailand, but in thai-style. I can not read thai, so it must be like;  Nguu Luam.. or Nguu Singh etc etc...

Thanks so much

glegolo

36 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Do anybody of you guys have a website or similar, that describes the different snakes of Thailand, but in thai-style. I can not read thai, so it must be like;  Nguu Luam.. or Nguu Singh etc etc...

Thanks so much

glegolo

Try an anagram of your name (well almost). Google is your friend.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Try an anagram of your name (well almost). Google is your friend.

First I tried google of course, problematic to find a good or suitable website.... So thought that I might be lucky to start a thread here abouyt it,,, and that at least one of you guys would know anything that might help me out..

thanks

glegolo

I doubt that there is any website which gives Thai phonetically because there are too many ways of doing that. It is not the best way to learn Thai anyway.

Wikipedia gives lots of information on snakes but 'translate' doesn't work. If you just want the Thai names for various snakes then I think that the best thing for you to do ask for the name and someone can write it phonetically for you.

eg. Python ='Hlaam' the H is silent but makes 'laam' into a rising tone so one name for python is laam[emoji768]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I forgot Thai-Language.com, a really good site which can teach everything you need to know about the Thai language.

26 minutes ago, Seligne2 said:

A good one except for the case that they show the Thai script as images.

Bit of a pity.

What you can do: use the scientific names from the link, search the WiKi and then select Thai language.

Should hopefully work for all entries?

Example:

Python reticulatus ->

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulated_python

Select Thai ( ไทย ) ->

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/งูเหลือม

29 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I doubt that there is any website which gives Thai phonetically because there are too many ways of doing that. It is not the best way to learn Thai anyway.

Wikipedia gives lots of information on snakes but 'translate' doesn't work. If you just want the Thai names for various snakes then I think that the best thing for you to do ask for the name and someone can write it phonetically for you.

eg. Python ='Hlaam' the H is silent but makes 'laam' into a rising tone so one name for python is laamemoji768.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I forgot Thai-Language.com, a really good site which can teach everything you need to know about the Thai language.

I happens to know that Python is actually Ngoo Luam.... I will look further. there must be some websites and then I can add all info together into my own textdocument. I am not trying to learn thai. I amvtrying to learn the different names of the different snakes, which also can be good here in Isaan "if something happerns" you know..

thanks anyhow sir,

glegolo

I happens to know that Python is actually Ngoo Luam.... I will look further. there must be some websites and then I can add all info together into my own textdocument. I am not trying to learn thai. I amvtrying to learn the different names of the different snakes, which also can be good here in Isaan "if something happerns" you know..

thanks anyhow sir,
glegolo

With the greatest respect, I don't think that you can avoid learning Thai or a dialect of Thai if by "here in Isaan" you mean that you live there.
From my point of view and because I have learnt some Thai, if 'luam' is no more than a memory aid and you know how to pronounce the word เหลือม, containing a vowel which doesn't exist in English, you have already learnt some Thai.
I gave you the name for python which is easiest for me to write phonetically, if you know how to make the low tone clear 'gnoo yai' is even easier.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

With the greatest respect, I don't think that you can avoid learning Thai or a dialect of Thai if by "here in Isaan" you mean that you live there.
From my point of view and because I have learnt some Thai, if 'luam' is no more than a memory aid and you know how to pronounce the word เหลือม, containing a vowel which doesn't exist in English, you have already learnt some Thai.
I gave you the name for python which is easiest for me to write phonetically, if you know how to make the low tone clear 'gnoo yai' is even easier.

Yes you are of course correct... to a certain extent.... I am not english but swedish, and our language gives us a far better possibility to be able to adapt and pronounce i.e. thai words than you english native speakers ever can do...

I have found that the more exact sound in that word; เหลือม is Löam in my and german language... In english it should be something like "Loeam"

Yes good luck to us all, we all have our hinder here..

glegolo

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived