Piling cost and experience using piles

JestSetter

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

OK !  What should it cost to place 6 concrete stumps.  I.e  Dig holes place steel in bottom, Mould stumps.

I guess that English is not your first language.

You are probably talking about pad foundations. To be clear it is impossible to answer your questions as you haven't given enough information.

You really need a structural engineer to design them for you,  just over size them or buy one of the books of house plans where all the structures are already worked out.

an example of different sizes of foundation are under. So as you can see they are designed fo,r the building that goes on top IMG_3725.JPG.a701937a489709406ea92941499949c9.JPG

On 8/31/2018 at 11:22 AM, JestSetter said:

It seems to me that extending the concrete foundation outwards (in a continuous manner with rebars, of course) should be a much more efficient way to stabilize or minimize settling than piles (if surface tension/friction are in question), if, of course, roof water is drained properly and there is not a river passing under the house, among other issues, like adding more weight, especially on one side of a house by adding another room,....

Do you think that it would be a better roi than piles (unless those piles are known to be touching terra ferma)? Would it make sense to make the "skirts" lighter as well? 

hi 

I am having a second go at installing my piles tommorow if the weather is kind

Thai word for them is Sow khem.

I have used concrete 26cm I profile to shore up a retaining wall into a dam near a building.

My contractor isn't to positive about getting them in the ground

the price was 30000 for 17 x 6 m piles install only

ill keep you posted

Shaemus

3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

30'000 thb : 17 piles =  1'764.70 thb per pile  ???

Yes, but at 260mm they are just a bit wider and longer than a drinking straw. Not sure you could even get some steel in them.

maybe they are pr cast and driven in cheaply?

9 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Yes, but at 260mm they are just a bit wider and longer than a drinking straw. Not sure you could even get some steel in them.

maybe they are pr cast and driven in cheaply?

The install price is 30k.

Yes they are pre cast concrete. With pre tensioned steel inside. 540 mpa from memory. 

I wanted to use sheet piles, but finding a local contractor was impossible. So I had to compromise on the concrete piles. 

These are called sow khem eye. As they have slots for concrete slats to slide into. To form the wall. 

As for installed cheaply. They have a 18 ton rig. Which is going to smash them into the ground. I live out in the stick so getting fancy machines from Bangkok is not an option. 

shaemus

13 hours ago, shaemus said:

The install price is 30k.

Yes they are pre cast concrete. With pre tensioned steel inside. 540 mpa from memory. 

I wanted to use sheet piles, but finding a local contractor was impossible. So I had to compromise on the concrete piles. 

These are called sow khem eye. As they have slots for concrete slats to slide into. To form the wall. 

As for installed cheaply. They have a 18 ton rig. Which is going to smash them into the ground. I live out in the stick so getting fancy machines from Bangkok is not an option. 

shaemus

Ok I got it now, i missed your description above. so they are concrete H section posts and concrete panels. Very popular now for installing and therafter filling up a plot.

12 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Ok I got it now, i missed your description above. so they are concrete H section posts and concrete panels. Very popular now for installing and therafter filling up a plot.

Are you referring to the same as I had done to retain some land fill ?

P5150156.JPG

1 hour ago, shaemus said:

Correct 

The first one blew out. 

Shaemus

DSC_0477.JPG

I would have thought that when using these type of posts its not possible to drive them into the ground as they are not so strong. The guy that done mine used a drill attachment and with some wood on top gave them a final knock with the back of the bucket to get the depth alignment done

P5050110.JPG

P5080128.JPG

P5080134.JPG

7 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I would have thought that when using these type of posts its not possible to drive them into the ground as they are not so strong. The guy that done mine used a drill attachment and with some wood on top gave them a final knock with the back of the bucket to get the depth alignment done

P5050110.JPG

P5080128.JPG

P5080134.JPG

I think the whole idea is for them to penetrate the ground using the pointed end, I had the option to have a metal pointed piece. 

The ground under where these have been driven is 2m of top soil of with a gravel band layer. From 2 - 8 m is a mixture of din dang, and din cow. Which to every one else is clay. White and dark red/burgundy. The red clay is rock hard. At 8m I hit laterite. 

Basically then end up where they end up. I have had to kiss a few out as the soil was bad so my go to option is to drill/auguer the soil. For any fails. Which I will know by tomorrow exactly how many that is. The soil. In front of the piles is being removed. So I will only need to drill 2m then just pop in the pile and off we go.. 

Lets see what happens. 

Shaemus 

Archived