Measuring Carbs.

chiangrai

I want to reduce the amount of carbs I put in my meals.

I see online how many grams of carbs you should eat for both low carb and Keto diets.

I want to start with 30 grams per meal but I don't have a clue how to measure it.

For example how do I measure 30 grams of oats for my breakfast.Is it the raw oats in the packet,the

cooked oats in the bowl or some thing else.

The other carbohydrate foods I need to measure are Buckwheat,Brown Rice Noodles,White Rice Noodles

and plain old White Rice.

I have been trying to loose weight for a long time, changing my diet slowly but surely.I've lost a lot of the weight

but there is still about 6KG to go.I eat moderate portions of healthy food and would probably be thin if I was healthy enough to exercise.I don't want to eats less,I will eat more fat and protein if I can measure these carbs.

I use the Keto Diet App on my phone which has a calculator for many types of foods. For you example of oats for example, it gives you the calories from carbs/protein/fat for dry oats and for various methods of preparation. You can maintain a daily log of what you have eaten so you can track everything.

I expect there are other apps out there that do a similar thing.

Thanks,I will try that app.

I have been on google and found that I cup of cooked oats is 33gm of carb

I cup of cooked buckwheat is about the same

1 cup of white rice is 55gm carb

So 1 cup of any of these is o.k for 1 meal,3 times a day and is quick to measure.

Does that sound right to you.

The next thing I need to do is measure noodles,dried brown rice noodles and fresh rice noodles.I wil probably have to weigh them which won't be as convenient as measuring a cup.

Any ideas...............

I would be very careful about very low carb diets. I went on Atkin's about 10 years ago. Yes, I lost a lot of weight, but when trying to increase my carbs again, I had problems. Every time I ate something moderately high in carbs, I could feel a very very uncomfortable rush of suger going into my veins like I had an injection.

Eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight.

8 minutes ago, soistalker said:

I would be very careful about very low carb diets. I went on Atkin's about 10 years ago. Yes, I lost a lot of weight, but when trying to increase my carbs again, I had problems. Every time I ate something moderately high in carbs, I could feel a very very uncomfortable rush of suger going into my veins like I had an injection.

Eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight.

Personally I find that I do eat fewer calories than I burn, but still have problems with my drinking calories. By the time I work out how many cals are in my big Leo I'm already on my 7th bottle, so I cancel the lot and start again with Singha. Am I doing this right?

I am not sure if it works for you but If you stop eating anything made from wheat your weight will come down and remain stable. I stop eating wheat and anything made from wheat flour about 9 months ago feel so healthy now,  my energy level doesn't goes up and down like a yo yo.

At first it is difficult to cut out your favorite foods like for me , it's sourdough bread, french bread, cakes , pastries, pasta . Now I have quite a restricted choice of foods, I can eat anything made from rice flour, or potato flour or potatoes or sweet potatoes(just beautiful sweet potatoes). But after sometime I get used to it. No more longing to eat those wheat made stuffs.

Google Youtube: Dr William Davis  (wheat belly). Perhaps you have already watched it . He is so widely known. At first I didn't believe him but it works no doubt about it. Wheat today is genetically modified so it causes immense amount of problems for a lot of people who eat them.

Good luck... if you manage to lose weight by going wheat less you don't even have to count carb. So simple.

Get off the beer and on to any white spirits mixed with diet soda or soda water - thats a big change.

Heaps of carbs in rice and oats - i would try and cut those out if possible. You get carbs from other foods as well - green veg for example.

Couple that with daily moderate exercise and you will see changes

Why don't you just get on a Keto diet and eliminate ALL carbs. Our bodies was designed to function as hunter gatherers. Prehistoric man wasn't gathering grains. They were gathering meats, fats, fruits and veggies. Fill up on that. Eliminate everything else and you will lose weight and inches faster than you can say ketosis.

When I go on low carb diets I do not count the weight of carbs that I consume, what I do is try to only eat food with a maximum content of 3% carbs which is much easier. Check the labels on food packets and it tells you the percentage of carbs and there are plenty of websites that have lists of food and veg that you can have on your mobile whilst you are out food shopping. Good luck

PS. By doing it by percentage you can eat larger amounts and still lose weight. Normally takes me about 2 weeks to see the effects.

I recommend buying ketostix to check if your body is in fact actually in ketosis mode.

Otherwise your body is still playing the carb game and you will never experience what deep ketosis has to offer.

After a few weeks in ketosis the body adjusts and you will see some practical benefits like more energy especially on empty stomach, better skin complexion, lightness, clarity of mind. 

If you cheat and eat one muffin a day, you'll never be in ketosis.

At first it's tuff, but after awhile carb cravings go away.

I don't think ketostix are sold in thailand.need to buy on net.

1 hour ago, mr_lob said:

Get off the beer and on to any white spirits mixed with diet soda or soda water - thats a big change.

Heaps of carbs in rice and oats - i would try and cut those out if possible. You get carbs from other foods as well - green veg for example.

Always one that says get onto the spirits! ?

I personally would recommend to eat shark fin soup? everyday followed by unbattered dolphin blowhole, completely carb free. 

2 hours ago, hobobo said:

Personally I find that I do eat fewer calories than I burn, but still have problems with my drinking calories. By the time I work out how many cals are in my big Leo I'm already on my 7th bottle, so I cancel the lot and start again with Singha. Am I doing this right?

You're on the right track ,,,, Keep going

Most if not all packaged, canned and bottled product contain dietary information per serving and the total servings per container.  Any food product made from grain - cereal, pasta, noodles, pastries, beer, ect as well as potatoes or food or drinks containing added sugar can be high in carbs.  You can reduce your daily carb intake 50% by just eating or drinking 1/2 less of foods containing carbs.  Eating more fruit and vegetables with low carb content can help fill you up.  Google has all the information you need.

4 hours ago, mr_lob said:

One fluid ounce of vodka soda lime is about 64 calories per glass whereas a 330ml light beer ranges from 105 calories and upwards.

I found by not eating breakfast till around 10am is a good way to burn the stored fat, and when I do eat breakfast it's big calorie breakfast, enough to last me till around 5pm where I will have a protein served dinner, lots for fluids during the day to keep the hunger levels down, with a fruit every couple of hours as well.

Now the only thing with the big gap in eating, i.e. 5pm till 10am (17 hours) the following day is that you have to work out a little on your muscles, add a good 30 minute programmed cardio workout and you will lose the kilo's pretty fast. 

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

You're on the right track ,,,, Keep going

Cheers digger70, I needed that reassurance! But! someone said I ought to substitute Tiger for Singha, and the calories will burn right there, in front of my eyes! Wow! Thanks anyway.

This is not the way to do.

Stop listening to all the online BS.

The only way to do is to totally quit eating bread, rice, pasta, cereals, etc...

You do not need to add carbs to what will be found in other foods that are not mainly carbs.

A keto diet is also totally stupid and too complicated.

Just QUIT EATING CARBS intentionally, just eat the ones that are found in most other foods, and you won't miss anything or have too much of anything.

7 hours ago, madusa said:

I am not sure if it works for you but If you stop eating anything made from wheat your weight will come down and remain stable. I stop eating wheat and anything made from wheat flour about 9 months ago feel so healthy now,  my energy level doesn't goes up and down like a yo yo.

At first it is difficult to cut out your favorite foods like for me , it's sourdough bread, french bread, cakes , pastries, pasta . Now I have quite a restricted choice of foods, I can eat anything made from rice flour, or potato flour or potatoes or sweet potatoes(just beautiful sweet potatoes). But after sometime I get used to it. No more longing to eat those wheat made stuffs.

Google Youtube: Dr William Davis  (wheat belly). Perhaps you have already watched it . He is so widely known. At first I didn't believe him but it works no doubt about it. Wheat today is genetically modified so it causes immense amount of problems for a lot of people who eat them.

Good luck... if you manage to lose weight by going wheat less you don't even have to count carb. So simple.

He can quit any carbs without any problem, not only wheat. I also do not eat any pasta, bread, rice since years and it's the best diet that anyone could try.

6 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Exactly !

Anyway we do not need carbs at all because the body can get carbs from protein.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One fluid ounce of vodka soda lime is about 64 calories per glass whereas a 330ml light beer ranges from 105 calories and upwards.

I found by not eating breakfast till around 10am is a good way to burn the stored fat, and when I do eat breakfast it's big calorie breakfast, enough to last me till around 5pm where I will have a protein served dinner, lots for fluids during the day to keep the hunger levels down, with a fruit every couple of hours as well.

Now the only thing with the big gap in eating, i.e. 5pm till 10am (17 hours) the following day is that you have to work out a little on your muscles, add a good 30 minute programmed cardio workout and you will lose the kilo's pretty fast. 

Not eating so many hours is far to be smart.

It is more recommended to eat 6 meals a day than only 2.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, chiangrai said:

Thanks,I will try that app.

I have been on google and found that I cup of cooked oats is 33gm of carb

I cup of cooked buckwheat is about the same

1 cup of white rice is 55gm carb

So 1 cup of any of these is o.k for 1 meal,3 times a day and is quick to measure.

Does that sound right to you.

The next thing I need to do is measure noodles,dried brown rice noodles and fresh rice noodles.I wil probably have to weigh them which won't be as convenient as measuring a cup.

Any ideas...............

Also have a look at My Fitness Pal

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

OP, just use the free www.cronometer.com.

enter foods and beverages you would like to eat.

cronometer will show you the content in terms of carbs, protein, minerals, vitamins etc.

you also get to choose your eating model goals.

A recent study showed that keto folk who ate a little carbs lost more weight than zero carb folk. Personally, I think that zero carbs is possibly dangerous.

Just don’t overdo them and avoid all drinks like soda and processed foods.

Can you walk for half an hour daily?

Get a good nights sleep every night.

Eat a variety of foods, mostly from plants.

Not too much protein either.

look at the palm of your hand.

A piece of meat or fish, that size and thickness is all you need per day.

Not Every Meal lol

To gain weight be sure to eat carbs and fat together, so best not do that?

good luck

9 hours ago, gaff said:

Not eating so many hours is far to be smart.

It is more recommended to eat 6 meals a day than only 2.

Yes that's one recommendation, of many out there, but didn't work for me, one size doesn't fit all, so to speak.

Late breakfast full of calories, fruit every 2 hours, protein dinner (17 hours) before the next meal at 5pm which is full of protein, light weights to stop the muscles from going south, intense cardio work out works for 30 minutes, changing programmes, shreds the kilo's for me.....compared to everything else I have tried.  

16 hours ago, ruprext said:

Always one that says get onto the spirits! ?

I personally would recommend to eat shark fin soup? everyday followed by unbattered dolphin blowhole, completely carb free. 

How many bottles of vodka over the weekend Marty boy??

On 8/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, Kurtf said:

Why don't you just get on a Keto diet and eliminate ALL carbs. Our bodies was designed to function as hunter gatherers. Prehistoric man wasn't gathering grains. They were gathering meats, fats, fruits and veggies. Fill up on that. Eliminate everything else and you will lose weight and inches faster than you can say ketosis.

Veggies are carbs. 

You will still need carbs to function, so trying to completely eradicate them is not the aim. Just, as many have posted, get off the breads, pastas, rice etc.

Archived