On 4/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, atyclb said:

have you heard about the new entertainment venue franchise opportunity

"cellulite au gogo",  oh wait, it seems every one has become cellulite au gogo

I ordered a but light not cellulite!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, I saw a FB post from Taco Thailand the other day saying that this past week they were adding what they call their "cheesy beef burrito" to the menu at their Mercuryville location.

It "sounds" like something I ought to like. But given how miserable and tasteless their "beef" was in the several entrees I already tried at Mercuryville, those being a regular burrito, crunchwrap supreme and California bowl, I'm almost scared to order the cheesy beef burrito.... :sad:

I was in the neighborhood of Taco Thailand at Mercuryville today, and somewhat reluctantly, I stopped by to order and try one of their newish 139b "Beefy Cheesy Burritos." Much as I had feared, it would have been better if I had skipped it altogether.

Instead of their name, I'd call it instead a "Ricey, Starchy, Cheesy Burrito," with not surprisingly, nothing inside that remotely tastes like beef or has any mouth feel consistency of ground beef. Instead, it comes off tasting as a very rice heavy burrito with a bit of melted cheese inside, and not much else AFAICT. I know there's some meat in there, but my mouth and taste buds sure can't tell it's there.

842173873_TacoBellBeefyCheesyBurrito1.jpg.c9a3e8a7eaa22bf9b20fb6d9b457fe79.jpg

798834208_TacoBellBeefyCheesyBurrito2.jpg.b4447bb8fd0c66d43dcd90c4623d44f4.jpg

I did, on the same visit, order another round of their Kickin' Chicken tacos (158b for a pair), and on the flip side, found them to be pretty good for my second order of them. Soft flour tortilla, fried KFC-like chicken strip for meat with a spicy coating, shredded lettuce and finely diced tomato, along with some sauce. Tastes fresh and the cool/cold veggies nicely offset the warm/spicy chicken strip.

My verdict for Taco Thailand remains the same now based on having tried multiple of their different entrees -- avoid the beef.

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

...  I know there's some meat in there, but my mouth and taste buds sure can't tell it's there. ...

...  My verdict for Taco Thailand remains the same now based on having tried multiple of their different entrees -- avoid the beef.

image.png.cbbcbf94ca12cd40f4ce3e02ab790efb.png

I had TB here in the states last night after a savage smoke seeion with a lithe hotty and as usual, it was up to its usual damn-im-wasted-and-this-cheesy-beef-burrito-is-just-sliminglynomnom standards.

I have been roaming around the Triad NC area and the Mexican/Central American Food trucks here are astonishing. I had some Arepas the other day that literally blew my mind. 

The Mexican/Honduran/South Am food in the states is better than in its nation of origin.

Now the Thai food mind you...who puts sweet bell pepper in Pad Krapow Moo and charges you 300 baht for it?

For Mexican Margarita Storm down in farangland is the way to go. Good for people watching too.

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was in the neighborhood of Taco Thailand at Mercuryville today, and somewhat reluctantly, I stopped by to order and try one of their newish 139b "Beefy Cheesy Burritos." Much as I had feared, it would have been better if I had skipped it altogether.

Instead of their name, I'd call it instead a "Ricey, Starchy, Cheesy Burrito," with not surprisingly, nothing inside that remotely tastes like beef or has any mouth feel consistency of ground beef. Instead, it comes off tasting as a very rice heavy burrito with a bit of melted cheese inside, and not much else AFAICT. I know there's some meat in there, but my mouth and taste buds sure can't tell it's there.

842173873_TacoBellBeefyCheesyBurrito1.jpg.c9a3e8a7eaa22bf9b20fb6d9b457fe79.jpg

798834208_TacoBellBeefyCheesyBurrito2.jpg.b4447bb8fd0c66d43dcd90c4623d44f4.jpg

I did, on the same visit, order another round of their Kickin' Chicken tacos (158b for a pair), and on the flip side, found them to be pretty good for my second order of them. Soft flour tortilla, fried KFC-like chicken strip for meat with a spicy coating, shredded lettuce and finely diced tomato, along with some sauce. Tastes fresh and the cool/cold veggies nicely offset the warm/spicy chicken strip.

My verdict for Taco Thailand remains the same now based on having tried multiple of their different entrees -- avoid the beef.

Taco Bell's Beefy Cheesy Burrito is one of the new items on their $1 Cravings value menu test. The burrito features premium "Latin rice," seasoned ground beef, and nacho cheese.

The single Beefy Cheesy Burrito USA is one dollar or about 30 baht the 

Cheesy Double Beef Burrito was 1.89  or around 60 baht when they still had it.......

So it looks like your almost paying 5X the price for a Beefy Cheesy Burrito in Thailand for less beef than even the one dollar Beefy Cheesy Burrito has in the USA......

The Cheesy Double Beef Burrito Taco Bell USA 1.89  or around 60 Baht

hqdefault.jpg

The Cheesy Double Beef Burrito Taco Bell USA 1.89  or around 60 Baht

Pdp_cheesy_double_beef_burrito.jpg

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Taco Bell's Beefy Cheesy Burrito is one of the new items on their $1 Cravings value menu test. The burrito features premium "Latin rice," seasoned ground beef, and nacho cheese.

Cheesy Double Beef Burrito was 1.89  or around 60 baht when they still had it.......

So it looks like your almost paying 5X the price for a Beefy Cheesy Burrito in Thailand for less beef than even the one dollar Beefy Cheesy Burrito has in the USA......

hqdefault.jpg

ick! that looks like some horrible velveeta type processed cheese on the burritos... always used to have grated natural longhorn cheddar in the old days as a minimum...have the standards in the US sunken to such a level??? if so, no wonder we can't find no decent taco bell in Thailand...(pretends to barf)...

12 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

ick! that looks like some horrible velveeta type processed cheese on the burritos... always used to have grated natural longhorn cheddar in the old days as a minimum...have the standards in the US sunken to such a level??? if so, no wonder we can't find no decent taco bell in Thailand...(pretends to barf)...

I have to agree with you - that looks disgusting.  No wonder it is cheap.

18 hours ago, fforest1 said:

hqdefault.jpg

Yuk !    that looks like the same orange colored cheese that Mcdonald's use.

disgusting ....     it's an insult to mexican food.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Yuk !    that looks like the same orange colored cheese that Mcdonald's use.

disgusting ....     it's an insult to mexican food.

FWIW, it doesn't look like Taco Thailand is using that kind of nacho cheese sauce in their so-called Beefy, Cheesy Burrito. From the one I had, it appeared be some kind of shredded cheese that's melted, probably the same kind they use in their other items like tacos, etc. However, that little detail still didn't make their burrito any good....

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, it doesn't look like Taco Thailand is using that kind of nacho cheese sauce in their so-called Beefy, Cheesy Burrito. From the one I had, it appeared be some kind of shredded cheese that's melted, probably the same kind they use in their other items like tacos, etc. However, that little detail still didn't make their burrito any good....

I am surprised they would not use nacho cheese....Man that stuff is cheap and has so many chemicals in it that it never goes bad....But it would have to be imported.....So maybe they found some domestic cheesy crap that was even cheaper?

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, fforest1 said:

You go on vacation to Thailand and spend your time ordering Taco Bell? With all the Thai food options? He deserved what happened to him. I can understand longtermers wanting a fix of American fast food. But tourists?  I know that when I want TexMex I fix my own. The Danita's taco shells are acceptable as are their flour and corn tortillas. Mission wraps make for good burritos, too.

DOes it taste like taco bell. Because pizza places, burgers, anything from a US chain they can never quite get right.

I am guessing the prices are double and the flavor is halved. 

from what i can tell its powdered beef that gets mixed with water, gristle & arteries come free!

as for the 'cheese' , lmfao!!

if you really want to see how cheap they can be, go to villa and try the 29-35THB frozen burritos.

4 or 5 flavours, all crap with the same powdered beef & powdered beans.

1 minute in the microwave, 1 minute in a panini press or toasted sandwich maker - worth every satang.... JUST!

1 hour ago, meand said:

DOes it taste like taco bell. Because pizza places, burgers, anything from a US chain they can never quite get right.

I am guessing the prices are double and the flavor is halved. 

Authentic Taco Bell from the U.S.? No, not even close.

No beans at all, lousy tasteless beef, and equivalent menu prices considerably higher.

But, for what it is, it CAN be OK... Order the carnitas pork instead of the beef. Try the California bowl or the Kickin Chicken tacos. And actually the other day, I tried their "Loaded Fries" which is fries topped with nacho type toppings with the carnitas pork. Way overpriced at 200+b, but not bad in terms of taste.

Just treat the place as a quasi Mexican fast food place in Thailand, and judge it on that scale. Don't try to compare or judge it based on the real Taco Bells back in the U.S., because that's a failing comparison for sure.

• 1 month later...

Taco Bell is going to open a new branch in the  Central Plaza Pinklao mall in Bangkok.....

This is a old mall that opened in 1995....It is far far from the Sky train the only public transport to there is buses or taxis......

So why would Taco Bell choose this location for their 3rd store? My guess the #1 reason is because of Cheap rent....Taco Bell must not be exactly making great money if they chose such a low profile location for their 3rd restaurant ....

Also I think a added benefit of this out of the way location is it would have very few expats or tourist....Farangs or tourist who have eaten at the real Taco Bells are PUBLIC ENEMY #1 to Taco Bell Thailand......I think Taco Bell Thailand has just about had it with farangs complaining about their lack of beans or about how crappy their mushy beef is or how Taco Bell Thailand cost 2-3 times what it does in the USA...

So I think their new location is a conscious effort to get the hell away from the Farangs......So they can try and grow their own watered down Taco Bell formula with the Thai population that does not know any thing at all about Taco Bell and wont be complaining like the nasty Farangs...lol

14 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Taco Bell is going to open a new branch in the  Central Plaza Pinklao mall in Bangkok.....

This is a old mall that opened in 1995....It is far far from the Sky train the only public transport to there is buses or taxis......

So why would Taco Bell choose this location for their 3rd store? My guess the #1 reason is because of Cheap rent....Taco Bell must not be exactly making great money if they chose such a low profile location for their 3rd restaurant ....

Also I think a added benefit of this out of the way location is it would have very few expats or tourist....Farangs or tourist who have eaten at the real Taco Bells are PUBLIC ENEMY #1 to Taco Bell Thailand......I think Taco Bell Thailand has just about had it with farangs complaining about their lack of beans or about how crappy their mushy beef is or how much cheaper Taco Bell is in the USA......

So I think their new location is a conscious effort to get the hell away from the Farangs......So they can try and grow their own watered down Taco Bell formula with the Thai population that does not know any thing at all about Taco Bell and wont be complaining like the nasty Farangs...lol

Or perhaps the reason is that Taco Bell has proven hugely popular with Thais, therefore they are opening in a mall that is hugely popular with Thais.  Do you think?  Or yeah, could be your ridiculous conspiracy theory instead.

Taco Bell is in Thailand and is catering to Thais and doing pretty well with it.  All you whinging Americans mean nothing to them, and 99% of the people who eat there don't care if it is not 100% exactly like the US - get over it.

5 minutes ago, ricklev said:

No beans!  Let me say it again.... (Deleted) (Deleted) (Deleted) Taco Bell!

Ricklev, you should  calm yourself.

Please ban yourself from ever even entering through the door of a Taco Bell.     It would only cause you unneeded stress.

I'll make up for your absence in Taco Bell  whenever I go to Bangkok.

21 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:
39 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Also I think a added benefit of this out of the way location is it would have very few expats or tourist....Farangs or tourist who have eaten at the real Taco Bells are PUBLIC ENEMY #1 to Taco Bell Thailand......I think Taco Bell Thailand has just about had it with farangs complaining about their lack of beans or about how crappy their mushy beef is or how much cheaper Taco Bell is in the USA......

Or perhaps the reason is that Taco Bell has proven hugely popular with Thais, therefore they are opening in a mall that is hugely popular with Thais.  Do you think?  Or yeah, could be your ridiculous conspiracy theory instead.

Taco Bell is in Thailand and is catering to Thais and doing pretty well with it.  All you whinging Americans mean nothing to them, and 99% of the people who eat there don't care if it is not 100% exactly like the US - get over it.

your opinion that taco bell might simply be hugely popular with thai's is no more a "conspiracy theory" than the opinion of the poster you replied to

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I think your whinging doesn't quite recognize all the negative feedback Taco Thailand got from Thais themselves when the franchise opened here without any beef or beans on their menu. Their FB page was full of grief from both Thais and farangs alike -- anyone who actually was familiar with traditional Taco Bell menu offerings.

But beyond that, they're hardly running from their U.S. roots. Every bag Taco Thailand hands out has large size lettering declaring: "Est. 1962. Made in California, USA."  And beyond that, the Thai company behind Taco Thailand has been on a big push to bring American brands to Thailand, with their portfolio now including local operations of Pizza Hut, IHOP, Taco Bell, Krispy Kreme, Cinnabon and Jamba Juice.

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I sympathize with your general opinions... But having Taco Thailand in first Mercuryville and second Siam Paragon doesn't exactly fit with your "get the hell away from the Farangs" theory.

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I sympathize with your general opinions... But having Taco Thailand in first Mercuryville and second Siam Paragon doesn't exactly fit with your "get the hell away from the Farangs" theory.

I understand but what I was trying to get at Is going forward I bet they will be placing NEW restaurants in locations that are much more Thai oriented and much less on Farangs radar like Siam Paragon is.....Hey I could be wrong but considering the low regard they have given to any Farang preferences at Taco Bell I would say there is a fair chance I am right..... 

41 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

What's the ratio of number of Thais that have never eaten Taco Bell, to those that have been to america and eaten Taco Bell often enough to be able to remember that it doesn't taste exactly the same?

i dont think hardly any thai's even know what a chalupa is

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Also I think a added benefit of this out of the way location is it would have very few expats or tourist....Farangs or tourist who have eaten at the real Taco Bells are PUBLIC ENEMY #1 to Taco Bell Thailand......I think Taco Bell Thailand has just about had it with farangs complaining about their lack of beans or about how crappy their mushy beef is or how Taco Bell Thailand cost 2-3 times what it does in the USA...

There are actually a lot of us expats that live near the area. I'm in Thawi Wattana, but I go to Central Pinklao instead of Central Salaya because the Tops in Pinklao stocks much more international and Tex-Mex ingredients. They have a Fareeda dried fruits bar, too, which is not at Salaya or other places. Better drug stores with pharmacists on call all the time as well. It beats the heck out of going into central Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived