Marriage / spouse visa requirements and documents.2018

Hello I need to extend my marriage visa and wanted to check if the documents are the same as before. Last year was my first time applying for this type of visa so just wondered if the process is the same. I will be apply for the visa in Chiang Mai Immigration at Promenada. If anyone has recent experience of applying for their extension on the basis of marriage some insights would be well appreciated.

Documents / Requirements (I think??):

- TM 7 Application.

- 1 Photo (4 x 6 cm).

- Copy of passport, main page, visa, TM 6 arrival / departure card.

- Copy of marriage certificate.

- Copy of Kor Ror 2 (long tabien) from Amphur office.

- Copy of house registration (blue book / tabien baan).

- Copy of wifes ID card.

- Letter from bank to prove 400,000 Baht in bank for at least 3 months.

- Map location of house, hand drawn. 

- Photo's of marriage / at house / in front of house and so on................

- 1900 Baht to pay for visa. 

Questions: 

- Does the photo (4 x 6 cm) have to have a specific back ground colour?

- Does the Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration) have to be within 6 months or will an old one be ok? Also do you have to get a new Kor Ror 2 from the Amphur office where you originally registered your marriage?

- Does my wife have to be with me?

- How long before my current visa expires can I apply for a new one?

- I remember last time there was a waiting period, "visa under consideration". Does this waiting period still apply second time round? If so roughly how long?

Thanks so much and sorry for so may questions, just want to make sure i have everything I need as I really don't want to make two trip to the dreaded immigration office!

Firstly remember that you need two copies of everything. Same every year.

I did mine at the Prom, CM last month. I had 4x6 photos with a white background which were excepted.

I always get a new  Kor Ror 2. It takes 10 minutes and costs 10 baht. Why risk a problem? My wife actually does this,  I just sit and wait for her.

I normally re-apply about 10 days before my expiry date, but I believe that you can do it up to one month before, but unless you're going to be out of the country why would you.?

There is always an under consideration period. Normally 4-6 weeks after your application has been excepted or one month after your expiry date.  

Don't forget to photo copy all the pages in your bank book and make sure the last transaction is no more than a week old prior the your application. I just deposit about 200 baht in mine the day before I go to immigration. Also when you go to get your bank letter get the  bank to issue you with a 6 month statement.  In recent years this has been (for me) another requirement.

And don't forget to take the originals of everything. You never know what they may ask you to photocopy again, if they're  not happy with something.

• Like 2

Your applying for an extension based on marriage (a permit, not a Visa).

44 minutes ago, ozzmanrocks said:

Questions: 

- Does the photo (4 x 6 cm) have to have a specific back ground colour?

- Does the Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration) have to be within 6 months or will an old one be ok? Also do you have to get a new Kor Ror 2 from the Amphur office where you originally registered your marriage?

- Does my wife have to be with me?

- How long before my current visa expires can I apply for a new one?

- I remember last time there was a waiting period, "visa under consideration". Does this waiting period still apply second time round? If so roughly how long?

1. White background.

2. You should obtain an updated Kor Ror 2 available at any Amphur.

3. Yes.

4. 30 days before expiry.

5 Same, up to 30 days, they'll notify you when it's approved.

• Like 1

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage.

Copies of passport photo page, visa, entry stamp, and current extension stamp.

Your wife has to be with you every time you apply for the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, scotsman said:

Just a small question what if your wife is unwell and can't be there and you have a letter from the Doctor? 

She is required to complete and sign a statement is the primary reason for her being there.

If a long term illness immigration might allow her to complete it so she did not need to be present to do it.

Just returned from Chiang Mai immigration where Thailand 4.0 is not yet a part of daily life.

The documents have been covered in earlier posts so I just have a couple of comments;

My understanding (we were told yesterday)  is you can apply up to 45 days in advance and in answer to Dmaxdan "why would you" we did because my wife will be taking care of her mother in hospital at the actual time.

I saw photos with both white and blue backgrounds being used. If you use the photo shop at immigration you are getting blue.

Not sure what a Kor Ror 2 is, never recall doing anything more than copy of marriage certificate.

The underconsideration period of a month does apply and is 1 month from the date that your visa  extension expires.

It may be important to note that immigration goes back to the revamped site on the road to the airport at some time next month.

The process really did take me back in time! Everything is manual, worksheets, numbers, legers carbon papaer included. The only time I came into contact with a computer was to have my photo taken (so why do you have to supply 2 photos?) and to print the receipt for the 1,900b

• Thanks 2

On 8/27/2018 at 12:53 PM, ozzmanrocks said:

Photo's of marriage / at house / in front of house and so on................

What exactly are you referring to in this portion of your statement above. Are you saying that photos of your wedding ceremony and husband & wife at the home must be provided? Is this indeed a requirement or merely something that Immigration has asked for in the past? Please explain further because I am unaware of such a requirement. I just got married at the city hall in Hang Dong recently, and will be going to Promenada (Chiang Mai Immigration) about this soon.

Edited by dpspike

25 minutes ago, dpspike said:

Are you saying that photos of your wedding ceremony and husband & wife at the home must be provided?

Not sure if that was what he meant. Photos of the marriage are not normally required or asked for.

• Thanks 1

As my recent application experience, and some TV members confirmation, if you don't have kids, they might request a Thai witness with you or at least signed copy of their ID and Tabien Baan. Rules seems to vary between different Immigration offices.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1053366-new-requirement-marriage-extension-hua-hin/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

As my recent application experience, and some TV members confirmation, if you don't have kids, they might request a Thai witness with you or at least signed copy of their ID and Tabien Baan. Rules seems to vary between different Immigration offices.

There are only a few offices that require witnesses. It is not a nationwide policy. I do not recall any reports of Chiang Mai immigration requiring them.

3 minutes ago, alant said:

I do now, apparently it is part of the photocopies my Mrs sorts "without bothering me"

It is a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry that is about 3 pages long that has all the info about you, your wife and the witnesses you had when you registered your marriage. Immigration wants a updated one to prove you are still married.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

I'm due in a few weeks. Last year they required the map to be drawn on a printout you get from them. Is this still the case or is a hand drawn map on your own paper back to being ok? 

Hard to say since varies from one office to another. You could do one yourself just to see if they will accept it. At least that way you would not have to do it from scratch if they wanted it on the form.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hard to say since varies from one office to another. You could do one yourself just to see if they will accept it. At least that way you would not have to do it from scratch if they wanted it on the form.

Chiang Mai - Promenada: Last year I had both of my hand drawn maps and when time came they said no and I needed to hastily scratch 2 maps out on their paper. Curious to hear if anyone has had that required this year there. I can also go and check if no answers.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, alant said:

Not sure what a Kor Ror 2 is, never recall doing anything more than copy of marriage certificate.

When you were married you would have received a marriage certificate (Kor Ror 2) and a marriage registration certificate (Kor Ror 3), that's the form you and the witnesses signed.

Immigration usually want an updated Kor Ror2 as proof your still registered as married and the relationship is dejure and defacto as far as is practical.  If you'd divorced in between, there'd be a record of the divorce and they couldn't issue an updated Kor Ror 2.

There was a local 'smart arse' who thought he'd get one over Immigration by paying his now 'ex' wife 5,000 baht to go to Immigration and pretend they were still married. He came unstuck when they requested an updated Kor Ror 2, which they couldn't obtain.

They'd actually divorced several months earlier, effectively ending his marriage extension, so he was on 7 months overstay. He was subsequently arrested, fined and deported and banned from re-entry for a year.

Edited by Tanoshi

On 8/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry that is about 3 pages long that has all the info about you, your wife and the witnesses you had when you registered your marriage. Immigration wants a updated one to prove you are still married.

now I know what it is we have never been asked for an updated one for info

17 minutes ago, alant said:

now I know what it is we have never been asked for an updated one for info

Not all offices want a updated one. But I normally suggest getting one just in case they do want it updated since they are easy to get at any Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht.

Since they started wanting a Kor Ror 2 six years ago at the office here my wife has been getting a new one rather than possibley having to make a run to the Amphoe to get one. We never had a Kor Ror 2 before then since it was not given to us when we got married.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:58 PM, dpspike said:

What exactly are you referring to in this portion of your statement above. Are you saying that photos of your wedding ceremony and husband & wife at the home must be provided? Is this indeed a requirement or merely something that Immigration has asked for in the past? Please explain further because I am unaware of such a requirement. I just got married at the city hall in Hang Dong recently, and will be going to Promenada (Chiang Mai Immigration) about this soon.

What I'm referring to is that it is a requirement to supply photos if your applying for an extension based upon marriage in Chiang Mai. I suggest you print some pictures in colour (normal A4 paper is fine), of yourselves at the location you currently reside. Include a picture displaying the house number, in front of the house, and a few pictures inside (in the bedroom, living room). Make sure you are both in the picture. I also supplied a few pictures from our wedding celebration. I suggest that you put a maximum of two pictures onto one piece of A4 paper. I supplied 6 pictures in total, 2 from our wedding celebration and 4 at our property. 

On 8/29/2018 at 9:07 AM, holy cow cm said:

I'm due in a few weeks. Last year they required the map to be drawn on a printout you get from them. Is this still the case or is a hand drawn map on your own paper back to being ok? 

In Chiang Mai I had to draw one map out on the document that they supply and also my own hand draw map on a piece of paper, all good fun!! 

A question about the 400k - I've had more than 400k in my account for over 2 months now. I have to go in October but only just updated my bank book. I never use my bank book 'cos I have online banking and an app on my phone. Will it matter if the bank book wasn't updated 60+ days before I will apply? 

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

A question about the 400k - I've had more than 400k in my account for over 2 months now. I have to go in October but only just updated my bank book. I never use my bank book 'cos I have online banking and an app on my phone. Will it matter if the bank book wasn't updated 60+ days before I will apply? 

Yes.

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It could be a problem. When you go to the bank for the letter ask them for a printout of your account activity. 

Best to remember to do a update just before the 2 months starts so that it shows in the book.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It could be a problem. When you go to the bank for the letter ask them for a printout of your account activity. 

Best to remember to do a update just before the 2 months starts so that it shows in the book.

Cheers. Yea, I completely forgot. I do so much banking online I haven’t touched my bank book since the last time I went to immigrairon. So much for Thailand 4.0. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2018 at 1:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage.

Copies of passport photo page, visa, entry stamp, and current extension stamp.

Your wife has to be with you every time you apply for the extension.

Hi all,

i apologize if this topic has already been discussed in prior posts but i couldnt find any answering my questions.

I’m German, have been recently working with an WP for 3 years with a Non-B Visa in Thailand. However, the company i worked for just closed down so I’m forced to find a new job which might take some time. As my visa expires on 21st December I’m considering my possibilities which are 

1. Re-entering the country on a tourist visa and looking for a new job in the meantime. 

2. My wife has a local shop selling car motoroil and batteries and she wants me to manage the shop with her. However, the shop is just locally registered and is not any form of company limited and so on which definetly will be a pain in the ass to obtain a work permit.

Questions

1. If i apply for a marriage Visa, just for the visa applying process, do i need to have any income of will the 400k in my bank account be sufficient enough.

2. After 90 days of having the marriage visa, i need to extend it. For that, do i need any income or are the 400k also sufficient enough?

3. Does anybody have any recommendation how to be able to work in a local registered shop and how to obtain a WP as i dont want to break any law but also want to pay as least income tax/coorporate tax etc. Do i really have to register it as a company limited?

4. In case i register the shop as a company limited in order to qualify to work there, what minimum taxable salary do i have to be paid?

5. Where do you guya usually seek for jobs? Any group or website i should have a look at? 

i would appreciate any kind of supportable advices.

Kind regards,

Moritz