New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 19:14
scubascuba3

Compulsory golf caddy

On 8/28/2018 at 2:01 PM, Thailand said:

3 of the courses where I play in Chiangmai are in total respectively, green fee,caddy fee plus caddy tip 250/300 baht:

All 18 holes.

750 baht

660 baht

480 baht 

What are the respective names of these three courses?  Thanks

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I thought that there was only Phlitaluang course in that area ...what others are there please?

We like that course ...off season they have some okay deals.

Looking at things now... exchange rate ... golf is very expensive...our saving grace is membership at Muang Ake1 ...going away for a golfing holiday now, in uk terms, is twice what it cost a few years ago.

I wonder if he means the three 9 hole navy golf courses, one in Bangsare the other two in Sattahip. The two 9 holer golf coures are the Navy Marine course which is just a couple of hundred baht to play, no caddies. The other is a few kilometers on the the way out of Sattahip towards Bang Chan, it is on the right, you will see a big white lighthouse structure where it is located, it used to cost me 100 baht to play there last time I played, again no caddies, but both courses have carts if you need one. Both of these golf courses you have to sign in, so a thai driving licence may be necessary which they keep untill you sign out again. Do not expect them to be of the quality of Platualuang, you will be severely disappointed, but they are good enough to play on and indeed have a cheap day out.

The first screenshot is the Royal Marine course and the second is the Sattahip course located at Dongtan beach. I have included the co-ordinates where these courses are located.

Screenshot_2019-01-06-10-04-47-970.thumb.jpeg.4c6c83ab676b163853a7c72957778ac8.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-01-06-10-09-16-130.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I thought that there was only Phlitaluang course in that area ...what others are there please?

The 3 courses at Sattahip are Fleet (on the coast via the lighthouse on Sukhumvit), Marine and a relatively new course AC/DC which is a little way Fleet on the same coast road.

All 3 will cost no more than 450 baht sharing a buggy, half that if you walk. No caddies.

Posted (edited)

There is also a short 9 hole course at the Kilo Sip end of 331 opposite PTT called Kwan golf. Always a good turn out of farangs and at 200 baht for 18 holes good value. No carts but trolley rental 20 baht.

Edited by Toosetinmyways
Correct spelling

10 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

There is also a short 9 hole course at the Kilo Sip end of 331 opposite PTT called Kwan golf. Always a good turn out of farangs and at 200 baht for 18 holes good value. No carts but trolley rental 20 baht.

Yes nice course, most people might not need a driver though as the longest par 4 is just over 200yds, no par 5s. But very friendly course, quiet most times.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:14 PM, BobbyL said:

Exactly.

So for approx 2000THB you can play a Championship standard course in the home of golf, yet here it probably gets you a round at Unico ?

You can't play the Old Course at St. Andrews without a caddie, because you won't know where many of the fairways are. They are frequently invisible from the tee. Can't remember how much I paid for the 2 rounds I played there and the caddie, but it certainly wasn't 2000 baht.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:30 AM, fulhamster said:

A caddy at most courses is 350 bt plus compulsory tip of at least 300 bt = 650 bt (15 GBP) that you shouldn't have to be paying if you don't want a caddy. Most courses are now compulsory buggy so the caddy is just a driver.

Tourists like having a caddy as a novelty, money better spent elsewhere.

what you mean compulsory tip?????????????

is the caddie 350 or 650 ?

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Average "accepted" tip is 300 baht. Yes it is a tip so not compulsory but try getting away without giving anything.............. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:49 PM, fulhamster said:

Most courses around Pattaya now charge 700 bt for a compulsory single-use cart

8 out of 24 Pattaya courses have compulsory carts. Hardly "most" unless you only want to play the more expensive courses............

14 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

4 minutes ago, topt said:

Average "accepted" tip is 300 baht. Yes it is a tip so not compulsory but try getting away without giving anything.............. 

right, thanks - I know fine little about golf - I have a friend from Finland who is a very keen golfer

(handicap 17 - think that is OK for an amateur)

anyway, workwise we travel the world, all over

sometimes I join him on the course - just as an companion

he has 3 clubs/sticks  which folds / contracts and fit in his suitcase

typical, in Thailand - pay fee - pay for caddie if required

then he talks with caddie; you want tip? caddie; yes

ok, here is 200 - I and my friend go to field, you stay here - I do not want to see you on the field

caprice? yes, ok here is 200 - bye bye

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You can't play the Old Course at St. Andrews without a caddie, because you won't know where many of the fairways are. They are frequently invisible from the tee. Can't remember how much I paid for the 2 rounds I played there and the caddie, but it certainly wasn't 2000 baht.

I have played the Old Course without a caddie. I agree they would be beneficial looking back. 

I played Strathtyrum and Eden Course there and I am sure they were only around 50 GBP green fee. 

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I have played the Old Course without a caddie. I agree they would be beneficial looking back. 

I played Strathtyrum and Eden Course there and I am sure they were only around 50 GBP green fee. 

Apart from the tradition of being the home of golf, the courses there aren't scenically inspiring. Kananaskas in Canada, Pine Valley in the USA, Barnbougle in Tasmania, Cape Kidnappers in New Zealand, and New South Wales in Sydney are all great courses. Regret I never made it to Pebble Beach.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, vogie said:

Yes nice course, most people might not need a driver though as the longest par 4 is just over 200yds, no par 5s. But very friendly course, quiet most times.

So no caddy and you pull your own trolly. I looked at their website and see a cart...