Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Compulsory golf caddy


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would never be able to see where my balls have gone without a caddy and lugging my clubs around myself in the mud this morning, no thank you.  

Private clubs institute their own policies regardless of so-called “laws”.

I've always had a dislike of using caddies. I'm a fit guy and I prefer to carry my clubs or better still use a trolley. The only benefit that I can see is to give advice when you play on a new course.

Posted Images

I think the main reason for mandatory caddies here in Thailand is that it is the caddy's duty to assist in maintaining the golf course by repairing your divots, raking the bunkers and fixing pitch marks on the greens. 
 
 
That only happens some of the time. Caddies frequently ignore the bunkers. Anyway, we manage to repair these things back in farangland
Link to post
Share on other sites



Quite a few courses available where the total is under 1200 baht.



Where? Not in Pattaya area and not a course people want to play. Caddy fee and tip 650, transport if with a group 250 = 900, bet 250 if with a bar = 1150 leaves 50 baht for green fee
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former caddie myself, I have sympathy for caddies who are only trying to earn a living. If you are that skint you can't afford a caddie here, perhaps you should take up lawn bowls or croquet.

 

Its not our duty to give you a job or the caddies here. They can easy find a job elsewhere. Zero unemployment apparently. Won't be as easy as walking about though

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

Most courses are now compulsory buggy so the caddy is just a driver.

Rubbish - only if you play the more expensive courses.

I play 2-3 times per week and hardly ever take a cart/buggy.

Interestingly in Hua Hin neither Black Mountain, Banyan or Springfield have compulsory carts........

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
41 minutes ago, metisdead said:
I think the main reason for mandatory caddies here in Thailand is that it is the caddy's duty to assist in maintaining the golf course by repairing your divots, raking the bunkers and fixing pitch marks on the greens. 
 
 

That only happens some of the time. Caddies frequently ignore the bunkers. Anyway, we manage to repair these things back in farangland

I hope that when it is ignored you are telling them to do it?

 

Like everything else it happens but I also see the almost laziness of many golfers who could easily mark their own ball and repair pitch marks but just don't. In fact I think some have got out of the habit of even carrying a pitch repairer or ball marker.

 

What would they do if no caddie...........:biggrin:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:


 

 


Where? Not in Pattaya area and not a course people want to play. Caddy fee and tip 650, transport if with a group 250 = 900, bet 250 if with a bar = 1150 leaves 50 baht for green fee

Haripunchai, Lanna, Hang Dong and Gymkhana in the Chiang Mai area. Mae Kok and Happy City in Chiang Rai.

From memory, Eastern Star near Pattaya was not expensive.

For 2000 baht in low season, one can play Santiburi near Chiang Rai. Green fee, caddy and golf cart with tip. IMHO one of the best courses in Thailand.

What does "bet 250 with a bar" mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 of the courses where I play in Chiangmai are in total respectively, green fee,caddy fee plus caddy tip 250/300 baht:

All 18 holes.

750 baht

660 baht

480 baht 

Plenty of trees, plenty of water, suitably challenging for mid level golfers.

Two of the courses are caddy optional so even cheaper, but the caddies income is related to tips so at these prices always take a caddy, plus I can't see beyond the ladies tee!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bahaha you guys have it easy, I live in phuket and you are looking at 5000 baht JUST for green fees then 1000 baht to rent clubs and 1000 baht caddy fee + taxi there and back normally and you get a little change out of 8000 baht for the day......Lets just say I don't bother playing here anymore.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

 

Its not our duty to give you a job or the caddies here. They can easy find a job elsewhere. Zero unemployment apparently. Won't be as easy as walking about though

 

I wasn't asking you for a job. Given your attitude, I doubt I would want to caddie for you anyway.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

I hope that when it is ignored you are telling them to do it?

 

Like everything else it happens but I also see the almost laziness of many golfers who could easily mark their own ball and repair pitch marks but just don't. In fact I think some have got out of the habit of even carrying a pitch repairer or ball marker.

 

What would they do if no caddie...........[emoji3]

 

Its their job, you're paying them 650+ baht so let them do their job. No i don't carry a pitch mark repairer or ball marker anymore. Fancy that paying them then doing their job, next thing you'll be saying you pull the trolley sometimes

 

Link to post
Share on other sites




What does "bet 250 with a bar" mean?


In Pattaya where there are many many PSC and IPGC groups usually linked with bars its standard to pay 250 bet/sweep whatever you call it, plus 250/300 for transport if you need it
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What does "bet 250 with a bar" mean?

Most groups that play out of a bar around Pattaya will have a competition element where you put 200/250 in the pot for various prizes - highest points score, 2s etc. They are sometimes meant to be optional but most people feel they have to put in even when they think they have no chance - and often don't due to the number of bandits around.........

 

There are 2 specific groups who have no organised competition element - Retox and Le Katei (Danny's) although players are welcome to have their own bets amongst themselves. 

Edited by topt
scubascuba3 beat me to it
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Where i play in the Pattaya area, often caddies can slow down the game, you know 100 yards behind, last to the ball. One day we had no caddies at a course because none were available, the round was 30 mins faster than normal

Please tell me the name of the golf course that permitted you to play without a caddie.

Excluding military courses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
23 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:
Private clubs institute their own policies regardless of so-called “laws”.

Perhaps, but what is bandied around is its "the law" if it was a golf club policy you could just boycott the course and it will soon change

I think most golfers enjoy the pretty caddy ladies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange for me to read this topic. For 3+ years this topic has been dead.

Archive back and you will see the lively discussions with the heated comments regarded caddies.

Compulsory caddies have been a feature of Thailand golf since at least 1980 when there was a smattering of courses. Anyone playing golf since those times must have realized that on most courses a caddy will be a requirement. The management does not hijack the paying player with a hidden cost.

Except at military and a couple of member courses it is the norm to have a caddy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:


 

 


In Pattaya where there are many many PSC and IPGC groups usually linked with bars its standard to pay 250 bet/sweep whatever you call it, plus 250/300 for transport if you need it

 

I wouldn't actually count that in with the cost of a round of golf, or the cost of transport to get to the golf course.

I usually opt out of those kind of bets or sweeps because I have to give too many strokes to high handicappers, any of which can have a day out or be fudging their handicaps. A waste of time and money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, topt said:

I hope that when it is ignored you are telling them to do it?

 

Like everything else it happens but I also see the almost laziness of many golfers who could easily mark their own ball and repair pitch marks but just don't. In fact I think some have got out of the habit of even carrying a pitch repairer or ball marker.

 

What would they do if no caddie...........:biggrin:

.........carry a pitch repairer and ball marker like they do at home!  

Edited by gmac
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gmac said:

.........carry a pitch repairer and ball marker like they do at home!  

I'm at the stage where it's difficult to bend down to do that stuff..........

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, topt said:

Rubbish - only if you play the more expensive courses.

I play 2-3 times per week and hardly ever take a cart/buggy.

Interestingly in Hua Hin neither Black Mountain, Banyan or Springfield have compulsory carts........

I don't know about Hua Hin courses. As far as I know, around Pattaya the only courses that allow shared carts are Plutaluang and Pattavia. A couple of others allow shared carts but charge extra for the privilege.

And Plutaluang & Pattavia offer the lowest green fees as well -- result is they are usually busy most days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

I don't know about Hua Hin courses. As far as I know, around Pattaya the only courses that allow shared carts are Plutaluang and Pattavia. A couple of others allow shared carts but charge extra for the privilege.

And Plutaluang & Pattavia offer the lowest green fees as well -- result is they are usually busy most days.

The quote you referenced was about "compulsory" carts. Nothing to do with sharing.

 

Played Pattavia today - almost empty this morning and a bit busier later afternoon. Greenwood on Monday had a total of 17 golfers booked to play plus 2 walk ins and was the same price as Pattavia.

 

Not sure how often you play but very few courses at the moment are "usually busy most days".............?

 

You want cheapest have you tried Kings Naga?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, topt said:

The quote you referenced was about "compulsory" carts. Nothing to do with sharing.

 

Played Pattavia today - almost empty this morning and a bit busier later afternoon. Greenwood on Monday had a total of 17 golfers booked to play plus 2 walk ins and was the same price as Pattavia.

 

Not sure how often you play but very few courses at the moment are "usually busy most days".............?

 

You want cheapest have you tried Kings Naga?

I play 2 or 3 times a month now, mainly due to the financial chaos caused by the Brexit vote.

 

Pattavia we get a good deal as our group plays there every week. Less than Greenwood.

It seems to be busy when we finish ie after 1pm, I think there is a deal on for pm tee-offs.

 

Playing at Greenwood this week, the carts are not compulsory but are only 300 baht more than walking on Thursdays as it's sports day. Still 1350 + caddy tip + transport so @2K baht before you factor in food/drink afterwards.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole price of golf here is madness. 

 

I have played at courses in St Andrews which are truly fantastic for little more than I payed recently at Muang Kaew for a bang average course. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

The whole price of golf here is madness. 

 

I have played at courses in St Andrews which are truly fantastic for little more than I payed recently at Muang Kaew for a bang average course. 

Over the last few years, the "high season" rates are hardly reduced whenever "low season" starts, then another hike for the next "high season".

Even the clubhouse restaurants are getting pricey, with some asking ++ on top.

Many courses starting to price out many expats who would like to play year-round, the courses are all hoping for an influx of Koreans to pay top-dollar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...