Cutting down, baby steps

seasia

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't agree. This is just your humble opinion.

Ah yes, not everyone whose drinking is screwing up their lives can be an alcoholic.....they don't all have the 'disease'.....not surprisingly a scenario promoted by alcoholics!

I used to feel compassion for alcoholics, now reading these threads, more and more I am beginning to think their condescending arrogance may well have played a major part in the slide into alcoholism

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Ah yes, not everyone whose drinking is screwing up their lives can be an alcoholic.....they don't all have the 'disease'.....not surprisingly a scenario promoted by alcoholics!

I used to feel compassion for alcoholics, now reading these threads, more and more I am beginning to think their condescending arrogance may well have played a major part in the slide into alcoholism

Not sure why you quoted me, please explain. Do you agree with what I quoted from MrY?

Are you trying to say that everyone who drinks too much is an alcoholic?

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure why you quoted me, please explain. Do you agree with what I quoted from MrY?

Are you trying to say that everyone who drinks too much is an alcoholic?

The pedantic, condescending, and arrogant manner I see in the attitude of 'alcoholics' to others with drinking issues gives me a little insight into why they ended up as alcoholics

If AA is turning people away because they feel the drinking issues have not yet reached the required stage of desperation, in my opinion, AA are setting rules to let people fall off the cliff in order that they may seek salvation only when they are truly broken. Whatever happened to prevention is better than cure!!

Is it that AA is unable to be flexible in their approach, constrained by rules and definitions, rather than addressing the needs of an individual.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:59 PM, Neeranam said:
On 8/29/2018 at 9:15 PM, MrY said:

Most of us qualify. If your alcohol consumption has had a negative effect on your health (physical or mental), your relationships, OR (not and) your finances, you're an alcoholic. 

I don't agree. This is just your humble opinion.

Yes, the above is just my humble opinion. But since this is a forum after all, everything is.

Searching "definition of alcoholism" you can find quotes like;

"Alcoholism, now known as alcohol use disorder, is a condition in which a person has a desire or physical need to consume alcohol, even though it has a negative impact on their life."

if more precise wording of the same is more to your liking. Google is your friend. (And for God's sake, that is just a saying, please don't get hung up on it. Google is not really your friend.)

On 9/8/2018 at 1:02 PM, Neeranam said:
On 9/6/2018 at 11:12 PM, MrY said:

(Note: Exercise during hangover may be downright dangerous.)

Why? 

I've heard that it's a great way to get rid of a hangover. 

If I had got hangovers, I might have not ended up being an alkie.

"Hangover and exercise" brings various results, the gist of it being you should keep it low impact and make sure you are no longer under the influence or dehydrated before exercise. "Sweating it out" (by exercise, sauna, etc) isn't so dangerous, but going hardcore early in the day while still having alcohol in your system, being dehydrated, foggy, and uncoordinated is the risky bit. Thus the "may be" part in my statement. "Listen to your body" is the best advice I found.

Alcohol tolerance (including reduced after effects) has been found to be a very high risk factor in becoming an alcoholic. Feel free to do your own research on this one.

Essentially you are saying that since you personally haven't had ill effects from vigorous exercise during the day after, everyone should be fine doing it. Sounds like "just a humble opinion" if I've ever heard one...

Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Mr Y

Please keep it civil.

This forum is titled "I drink too much" not "I am an alcoholic" precisely in order to be inclusive.

Nowadays the medical profession prefers the term "alcohol use disorder" to "alcoholism" and recognizes a spectrum of severity within that disorder. It is defined as a pattern of alcohol use in which the person has difficulty controlling their drinking (either the quantity or the frequency or both; some people can go without alcohol for days on end but when they do drink, they  cannot stop at just 1 or two. Other people have to drink every day; in both instances it is the inability to control that is the key).

Not all people with unhealthy drinking behavior have alcohol use disorder. There are people who drink more than is good for them (habitually or in periodic binges) but are not unable to control their drinking per se, just using bad judgment (teenagers and college kids come to mind),  hanging out with the wrong people, gotten into the wrong habits etc. 

And then there are people who drink more than is good for them but are not able to control it. These people do often tend to be in denial initially but I am not sure there is anything to be gained by taking a confrontational approach with them.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, bangkok blue said:

How you getting on? I recommend you look at an alcohol free support group called OYNB (One Year No Beer).

i can see it now, some will be very proud and will proclaim they have not touched a beer in 1 year

as they switched to gin

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, mikecha said:

If u dont have beer in the house then u can not drink 

if not not temped to open and drink

so dont buy and nothing in the house

Yes, I completely agree with that. When you really want one at home, go out and buy one. This is the tactic I've used for some time now and I'm down to one large bottle a day at home.

You say you drink out frequently. With mates or on your own? If your with mates resist peer pressure and set your own modest pace. If your drinking pals give you angst, it's time to change pals!

One last tip, if you drink with Thais never, ever allow them to top your glass. Same rule applies, set your own modest pace. I am very strict about this now. And I don't care whether it causes offence or not.

I've gone from a similar amount that you are currently on, maybe even more, to just one a day when I stay home and a modest 2 or 3 when in company.

It can be done with determination and will power and if you have someone to empower you, even better. 

Good luck.

ML

On 8/28/2018 at 7:23 AM, thaiguzzi said:

So that's 4 big bottles (620ml) a day. 6 on a bad day.

I drink 2 large bottles every single day, end of the working day, late afternoon -early evening. No more, no less.

I wouldn't consider 3-4 a problem myself, 6 everyday maybe yes.

I know plenty of people in the West who drink 2-3-4 pints every day after a working day, not really a problem if kept in moderation, able to function, eat well and go to work in the morning.

If drinking 4 pints (or more) of beer daily, doesn't it cause other issues other than alcoholism? e.g Gout ?

21 hours ago, ravip said:

If drinking 4 pints (or more) of beer daily, doesn't it cause other issues other than alcoholism? e.g Gout ?

It certainly does cause problems. Many more than you list here. The UK government guidelines are not there just because they desire to be a 'nanny state'.

There is good scientific and medical evidence to back them up.

Personally. I fell much better within myself for having reduced my intake. I sleep much better and have more energy and a positive take on life.

But, at the end of the day, it's up to the individual.

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

One last tip, if you drink with Thais never, ever allow them to top your glass. Same rule applies, set your own modest pace. I am very strict about this now. And I don't care whether it causes offence or not.

Are you saying that Thais are different to other nationalities? Can't say I've noticed any difference when it comes to drinking habits.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, Sheryl said:

Nowadays the medical profession prefers the term "alcohol use disorder" to "alcoholism" and recognizes a spectrum of severity within that disorder. It is defined as a pattern of alcohol use in which the person has difficulty controlling their drinking (either the quantity or the frequency or both; some people can go without alcohol for days on end but when they do drink, they  cannot stop at just 1 or two. Other people have to drink every day; in both instances it is the inability to control that is the key). 

Interesting, they seem to change their mind all the time. I've never found a doctor that can help an alcohol use disorder patient. Fortunately, there are some who admit their uselessness.

39 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Are you saying that Thais are different to other nationalities? Can't say I've noticed any difference when it comes to drinking habits.

Thais are probably not the only nationality that do this, but certainly it is a very common habit of theirs to simply assume that you wish to drink at their pace and keep topping up your glass.

Most respect your wishes once you've made it clear that you do not want them to do this. But I've encountered some who can be very persistent. One I recall kept sneaking round behind me in order to 'top me up'. And he would not take 'no' for an answer. In my early days here I wasn't so confident about being insistent on this issue. But not any more.

I trick I now use in these circumstances is to simply leave my beer glass full and drink water instead. They cannot top up a full glass!

37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thais are probably not the only nationality that do this, but certainly it is a very common habit of theirs to simply assume that you wish to drink at their pace and keep topping up your glass.

Most respect your wishes once you've made it clear that you do not want them to do this. But I've encountered some who can be very persistent. One I recall kept sneaking round behind me in order to 'top me up'. And he would not take 'no' for an answer. In my early days here I wasn't so confident about being insistent on this issue. But not any more.

I trick I now use in these circumstances is to simply leave my beer glass full and drink water instead. They cannot top up a full glass!

It's normal to be scared of Thais when you're a newbie.

I found it so annoying having to tell them not to put any soda in the Johnny Walker. They must have thought I was an alcohol use disorder sufferer.

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

It's normal to be scared of Thais when you're a newbie.

I found it so annoying having to tell them not to put any soda in the Johnny Walker. They must have thought I was an alcohol use disorder sufferer.

Same same with me. I do not want ice in my beer!

7 hours ago, bangkok blue said:
On 9/10/2018 at 11:58 PM, atyclb said:

i can see it now, some will be very proud and will proclaim they have not touched a beer in 1 year

as they switched to gin

How hilarious you are! If you don't have anything constructive to say to help the OP, best not say anything at all.

important to rid oneself of anger resentment  and hostility when dealing with the very cunning disease

Archived