Pheu Thai will ban military conscription if voted in

webfact

17 minutes ago, Mexlark said:

Have the military ever taken any account of unpopularity before? Frankly, they don't have to because everyone knows it is just an empty threat from politicians who will gladly live with it if is useful to protect their investments. I watch conscripts being used for free labor, and know that the local base is rather anti-junta

The military staged the last coup towards the end of a dying protest because it feared an election and a new government with fresh electoral legitimacy.  The military is constantly delaying a new election, coercing public leaders, promoting itself and censoring opponents, and engaging in populist politics because it wants some semblance of support from the population during the next election.

So yes, the military definitely takes into account its popularity.

More important still, the elites that the military supports and protects take into account public opinion.  They don't want to be perceived as supporters and beneficiaries of an illegitimate, repressive government.  It might interfere with their holidays and shopping trips abroad.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mexlark said:

Lets face it. Even if Peua Thai are elected (highly likely), conscription will probably continue to exist because political parties all have to curry favour with the military. Unfortunate fact of life, but PT's leadership are not true radicals by any stretch. So it's just an empty cynical ploy to gather votes.They won't be banning their own goon squads either

I don't think so. Pheua Thai tried the strategy of accomodating to the military - remember the photos of Yingluck with Prayuth - and clearly it failed. The grafters and grifters of PT will be taken up by Sam Mitr. But there will be many who stick with PT because that's the path to electoral success, proved time and time again. Some of PT have become radicalized - Watana Muangsook, for example, an ex-PT minister who flagged this policy a couple of months ago. PT will have a month, two at the most, to campaign. They will base their campaign on this policy. The policy is a direct attack on the army's privileges and power. PT will be saying, you can have the army rule or you can have us. If they are elected, the army will be cut down. It will take time and effort but it will happen. And this will be a vote-winner.

12 hours ago, tomta said:

I don't think so. Pheua Thai tried the strategy of accomodating to the military - remember the photos of Yingluck with Prayuth - and clearly it failed. The grafters and grifters of PT will be taken up by Sam Mitr. But there will be many who stick with PT because that's the path to electoral success, proved time and time again. Some of PT have become radicalized - Watana Muangsook, for example, an ex-PT minister who flagged this policy a couple of months ago. PT will have a month, two at the most, to campaign. They will base their campaign on this policy. The policy is a direct attack on the army's privileges and power. PT will be saying, you can have the army rule or you can have us. If they are elected, the army will be cut down. It will take time and effort but it will happen. And this will be a vote-winner.

I hope your understanding of the situation turns out true. Not that I am a supporter of PT, but they are better than the men in green. I want to see the army and its leaders cut down to size. Problem is the big elephant in the room getting more and more involved with the military. 

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

I hope your understanding of the situation turns out true. Not that I am a supporter of PT, but they are better than the men in green. I want to see the army and its leaders cut down to size. Problem is the big elephant in the room getting more and more involved with the military. 

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

I hope your understanding of the situation turns out true. Not that I am a supporter of PT, but they are better than the men in green. 

Which is as good as saying you are prepared to tolerate one set of parasites over the other because the uniform is more chic.

2 minutes ago, Mexlark said:

Which is as good as saying you are prepared to tolerate one set of parasites over the other because the uniform is more chic.

If PT are voted in democratically, of course.

Uniform more chic? 

13 hours ago, Rhys said:

...5555 mess with the miltary.. 55555

I think it is largely true to say that this is a military vs cop factional bunfight of very long-term standing, BUT some bases have strong Shin links. And doubtless a few cop shops do not. It probably largely depends on the recent orientation of the local boss. They are both essentially factions dedicated to populist untruth and electoral scams. Both global and local history gives us almost zero room for quiet confidence of any reconciliation. Non-locals are probably well-advised to avoid taking sides, as after that election there is almost certainly going to be some backlash against farangs, totally regardless of their position. You can actually hear the complaints at night on the street against the government and farangs. I note a report elsewhere on TV today about anger on the streets. It's real, and it is way too primitively emotional to be constructive and healthy. If nothing else, I'm warning myself here, that a few 'departures' may be necessary in the next few years. But where in the World is politics really any better these days?

On 9/2/2018 at 9:31 PM, tomta said:

"But there will be many who stick with PT because that's the path to electoral success, proved time and time again. "

Yes true, if the big money from the party gang owner is forthcoming, to buy a gang of; 'yes sir boss I will vote for your amnesty regardless of how immoral it looks and yes sir I will vote as told and give my voting card to whoever I'm instructed to, and yes sir I will never speak in parliament except to read a statement approved by you.' 

On 9/2/2018 at 7:31 AM, tomta said:

All this surface difference is more or less false. 

All apart of the Thai political theatre that has existed in time immemorial. 

The manipulated homogeny has remained the same. 

3 hours ago, Menyang said:

personally I think its a great Thaksin strategy. If PT walks another election after 4 years of political campaigning, on tv, by the opposition it will show how unpopular the army really is

I really hope that they do. Sadly if they do win they current lot will not accept it and at that point I have no real idea what will happen other than it will be very messy.

Although I never liked or trusted Thaksin he was far better than the people in charge now.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I really hope that they do. Sadly if they do win they current lot will not accept it and at that point I have no real idea what will happen other than it will be very messy.

Although I never liked or trusted Thaksin he was far better than the people in charge now.

There are some speculating circles that are suggesting certain scenarios will be manipulated, here and there, allowing the Shinawatras to return unencumbered.....creating more of a mess than it ever has been. 

It's quite obvious that they still have a great deal of influence [from the outside] regarding domestic politics/affairs. 

Archived