Bait and lures for fresh water fish

Becker

I am mostly fishing in the sea but during an upcoming road trip around Thailand I want to try a bit of fishing in ponds and lakes for catfish and carp-type fish. I don't have a lot of room in the trunk so I was wondering what's the essential go-to stuff for catching these types of fish?

Carp, wont take a lure and most catfish go for bread or lam (rice husk). There are of course a few predator cat fish but these are a minority. Most of the lakes if you fish on paid for ponds have their own bait. Most lakes are paid for as there is not much wild fishing to be done.

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Carp, wont take a lure and most catfish go for bread or lam (rice husk). There are of course a few predator cat fish but these are a minority. Most of the lakes if you fish on paid for ponds have their own bait. Most lakes are paid for as there is not much wild fishing to be done.

Lots of wild fishing to be done here. My brother in law took me fishing up in Issan at Christmas.

Dammed a stream then pumped the water out. Everyone then jumps into the mud and pulls the fish out. Got several large baskets of fish, freshwater shrimp and crabs. Great barbeque that night.

When in Thailand, do as the Thais, great day out.

Go to Kanchanaburi and fish the reserviors for Snakeheads and Hampala Barb. If youre lucky you might catch a Giant featherback. 

Nan river in phitsanulok for Goonch species catfish (Bagarius species)  

Even in fishing parks, if theyre not uptight with rules and let you fish whatever rig or bait, go cover the weedy areas by the side with your lure (some kind of imitation frog) and youll get snakeheads. 

Archived