Taking 'travel' insurance when already in Thailand

Peter Denis

Hi, I am a Belgian citizen and stay most of the year in Thailand.

I did take annual travel insurance before departing, but it is limited to 90 days per trip and my present coverage will end September 3.

I will fly back home on September 20, and so I am looking for an affordable insurance solution to cover the 18 day 'bridging period'.

I already checked with my current insurance company and unfortunately it is not possible to prolonge the 90 day-period.

And scanning the internet there are only few companies that offer travel insurance when you are already travelling. 

Nomad's being one, which would be my last - but rather expensive - resort when I do not find a better solution.

But maybe there are THAI insurance companies that offer health insurance to non-resident foreigners for a limited period.

If so, I would be interested to hear about options along that road.

Hi, I am a Belgian citizen and stay most of the year in Thailand.
I did take annual travel insurance before departing, but it is limited to 90 days per trip and my present coverage will end September 3.
I will fly back home on September 20, and so I am looking for an affordable insurance solution to cover the 18 day 'bridging period'.
I already checked with my current insurance company and unfortunately it is not possible to prolonge the 90 day-period.
And scanning the internet there are only few companies that offer travel insurance when you are already travelling. 
Nomad's being one, which would be my last - but rather expensive - resort when I do not find a better solution.
But maybe there are THAI insurance companies that offer health insurance to non-resident foreigners for a limited period.
If so, I would be interested to hear about options along that road.

Check out the Insure My Trip site

Be sure to mention you stay most of the year in Thailand when applying. This may mean you don't need travel insurance, since Thailand seems to be the country you're living in. This could also mean that when the time for pay-out comes and it becomes clear you spend most of the year in Thailand a travel insurance can refuse pay-out.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Be sure to mention you stay most of the year in Thailand when applying. This may mean you don't need travel insurance, since Thailand seems to be the country you're living in. This could also mean that when the time for pay-out comes and it becomes clear you spend most of the year in Thailand a travel insurance can refuse pay-out.

Thanks for your reaction. 

Indeed, I am trying to check out the option of taking Thai personal insurance, since I am already in Thailand.  But the first responses I got from thai insurance companies, is that you need to be a permanent resident to be eligible (and I am here on a tourist visa). 

Reason I am checking out that option is that it turns out taking travel insurance for my 'bridging period' before I leave, is not self-evident as most insurance companies want you to be both resident of their home-base country as well as taking the insurance before starting your travel.  There are a few companies (like Nomads) that do provide travel insurance when you are already traveling, and do not require that you are a citizen of the insurer country.  But they are rather expensive, hence I am looking for less expensive alternatives.

Note: I have to admit travel insurance in Belgium and Netherlands is very very cheap compared with USA or UK, so I am somewhat biased when checking out the rates (covering the18 day period is more expensive and covers less than what I paid for my present annual insurance).

• 7 months later...

Archived