EPL - Which Team to Support

Jip99

I have been a life-long Forest fan - and will remain so.

However, that does not help me when it comes to watching Premiership matches on TV.

I cannot watch games as a neutral so I need to find a team to 'support' - or at least follow with a degree of interest.

I had been trying to 'support' Man United but the current shambles at the club, and lack of playing style, means that I am prepared to abandon them. So, who to support ?

Man City - I admire what they have achieved, and I like Pep, but I don't want to jump on the Citeh bandwagon.

Arsenal - under Wenger they were almost there and when they played well they were good to watch. Now, a previous lack quality strike-force is matched by a lack of quality defence.

Chelsea - can't warm to them, never could.

Spurs - I like their style of play and I like the manager. I still think that the lack of a major signing could leave them exposed if they suffer any long-term injuries. A major contender for my affections though.

Liverpool - I love Klopp and I admire the purchases he has made to improve weaknesses in certain areas. How he keeps getting 120% out of Milner is amazing. Good to watch and serious contenders for a top 3 place. The only issue I have is that when Forest were good, I hated Liverpool almost as much as I hated Man Utd.

Spurs are the favourites from the above 'top 5'.

Other contenders:-

Wolves - I was impressed with what I saw of them last year and whilst it is like watching a Portugal representative side they are a team worth getting behind. Should survive if they can win a few home games.

Watford - great start and, on the their day, can give anyone a game. Not sure they excite me enough.

Everton - should win more than they lose but they are just not exciting me.

Palace - I don't care what you say about Roy, he has done a great job at Palace and they are playing some good football. Always look dangerous and play with heart.

Fulham - I like what I see here and their manager has them playing decent football. I would like to see them survive. Seems kind of quaint supporting Fulham.

Newcastle, Soton, Burnley, Cardiff, West Ham, Huddersfield, Leicester, Bournemouth and Brighton are all going to struggle to some degree and nothing appeals from a supporting point of view.

On my occasional visits to the UK, acquiring match tickets for the 'other contenders' would be easier than the top 5. That said, I usually take the masochistic approach of watching Forest when I am back in the UK. Forest v Rotherham is on the horizon....

I think it is going to be Spurs..... just writing this post is helping to push me in that direction ....... Fulham/Palace ?..... I wonder...

Obviously, when Forest return to the Premiership I will drop whoever I choose like a stone ?......... at least for one season..

Any advice ?

A bizarre request in my opinion , however why don't you take this approach. Choose whichever team is bottom currently as your starting point. Follow that team until they lose then follow the winning team until they lose then follow the team that beat them ...till the seasons end. That way youll get to follow a range of teams with interest for a period of time.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

You're a Forest fan, that's it. 

You can support a Premier League team if and when Forest get to the Premier League.

There's no picking a Premier League team!!

Disagree, theres nothing wrong having a second team in a different league you like to keep an eye on.

Does mean he's nota lifelong Forest fan.

I've known people that have lived in London most of their lives, still ardent supporters of the club of their hometown but take a big interest in their local team.

OP " I had been trying to 'support' Man United but the current shambles at the club, and lack of playing style, means that I am prepared to abandon them. So, who to support ?"  

I think you should stick with United for your PL team, as you say "shambles", "lack of playing style"....... sort of links well with your "life-long" Championship team. 555

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

I have been a life-long Forest fan - and will remain so.

I'm assuming you're originally from the Nottingham area, in which case you've only really two options Leicester or Wolves. As a Villa fan of long suffering I'm happy to cheer on Wolves in the EPL or any Midlands side really (except Birmingham City).

Though the days when you supported your local teams seems long gone, it's now fashionable to just pick whoever's winning; loyalty is just old fashioned. 

28 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

OP " I had been trying to 'support' Man United but the current shambles at the club, and lack of playing style, means that I am prepared to abandon them. So, who to support ?"  

I think you should stick with United for your PL team, as you say "shambles", "lack of playing style"....... sort of links well with your "life-long" Championship team. 555

I thought a sheepshagger would rear his ugly head.....??

image.png.7d9d150e338e1ff96b34ab8f43a6ae02.png

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

And you already chose Man Utd as your second team but because they aren't winning you want to change again! Does sound like a glory hunter

Just stick with Forest, they're a good team with lots of history. Be proud to be a Forest fan

I am proud - and lifelong.

But you have missed the point that I cannot watch EPL games as a neutral  -  I need to be rooting for someone.......

I want to follow a team that will entertain me and, hopefully, challenge for success.

Maybe that takes out Fulham and Palace but it is hardly glory hunting.

44 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I'm assuming you're originally from the Nottingham area, in which case you've only really two options Leicester or Wolves. As a Villa fan of long suffering I'm happy to cheer on Wolves in the EPL or any Midlands side really (except Birmingham City).

Though the days when you supported your local teams seems long gone, it's now fashionable to just pick whoever's winning; loyalty is just old fashioned. 

Geography doesn't really play a part these days; it always used to frustrate me that teams (liked Forest) assumed that all the fan base lived locally - I followed Forest for 30 years from East Anglia but getting information - especially regarding tickets was difficult.

I saw Villa at Carrow Road last season (daughter's boyfriend is a Villan) ....... not surprised that you didn't make it through the play-offs  -  maybe a better chance this year.

54 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I think not supporting your local team is partly down to the fact that we travel/relocate more nowadays and kids often take on the team their father supports.

For instance, my daughter was born in the UK but we've lived in Saudi ever since she was 6 months old. At 2 days old I took her to City's ground and kitted her out in City baby grow's etc. I have brainwashed her ever since and her only option in life was to support City (or risk being left out of my will ? ) She speaks with a plumb in her mouth and nothing like my accent, so at some point she might get accused of band wagon rubbish but she has pictures of her wearing City baby grows and being at the ground. Additionally, she was born just before our rise, so that helps.

34 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I followed Forest for 30 years from East Anglia

Not much or a surprise really - not a lot of choice out there, might just as well support Ajax or Feyenoord.

30 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think not supporting your local team is partly down to the fact that we travel/relocate more nowadays and kids often take on the team their father supports.

For instance, my daughter was born in the UK but we've lived in Saudi ever since she was 6 months old. At 2 days old I took her to City's ground and kitted her out in City baby grow's etc. I have brainwashed her ever since and her only option in life was to support City (or risk being left out of my will ? ) She speaks with a plumb in her mouth and nothing like my accent, so at some point she might get accused of band wagon rubbish but she has pictures of her wearing City baby grows and being at the ground. Additionally, she was born just before our rise, so that helps.

I've no idea why all those birthday prezzies I send her each year get marked 'return to sender'. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I thought that court order was intended to stop you cadging cider off the kids in the park.

In Salford the kids would hang about offering a fiver to anyone who would buy them 10 fags. 

Stunts their growth I've heard so I always bought them 20 the little City supporting waifs....anything to help the local youth! :tongue:

Just pick a team you like to watch and support them on the day. If you just go for a team who will win the league, of course its glory hunting. Just like all the Thais who ditched Man U and Liverpool when Leicester were winning the league. So commical to see. I am Spurs so biased. Stick to Forest mate and just enjoy the football.

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

A bizarre request in my opinion , however why don't you take this approach. Choose whichever team is bottom currently as your starting point. Follow that team until they lose then follow the winning team until they lose then follow the team that beat them ...till the seasons end. That way youll get to follow a range of teams with interest for a period of time.

Very good idea!

I've been a ManU supporter for a long time; and yes, I used to live near Manchester.  Their run-of-form lately has raised a few questions.  However, I wouldn't stop supporting them just because they've dropped a few points.  If they don't win the Premiership this season, there's always next season, and good luck to whichever team does win.  When I'm watching 2 different teams, I always support the underdogs.

I lived in West Bridgford a few years ago, and went with the Forest away supporters to Man U.  Forest were beaten 5-1.  The Forest supporters around me kept looking at me every time Man U scored; could have been something to do with my scarf.

Archived