EPL - Which Team to Support

Jip99

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

You're a Forest fan, that's it. 

You can support a Premier League team if and when Forest get to the Premier League.

There's no picking a Premier League team!!

There's a new team in the Scottish Premiership called The Rangers.

They were formed in 2012. Maybe Jip99 could support them.?

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

When Forest return to the premiership,:cheesy:?

Your a bloody optimist arent you, well if we dont have our dreams not much left is there.

This is the 20th season since Forest were in the Premier Jip, have they been close in that time to returning, are they in with much of a chance to return this season?

When i used to live in the city centre and suburbs (Arnold), i was a still a Man City season ticket holder and when City were away and i didn't fancy it I'd go and watch Forest home games (County occasionally) and this was in the Forest glory years so the football was brilliant - favourite Forest players were Ian Bowyer, Trevor Francis, Colin Barrett obviously and John Robertson.

As a Wolves supporter since the early 1950s, in my opinion it is genetically impossible to support any team other than your natural club. Even if you claim allegiance to one team in the EPL there are going to be 9 other games each week where you will be neutral, so what’s your point?  If you must have a second team support Dukla Prague, is as good as anything!

7 minutes ago, retayl said:

As a Wolves supporter since the early 1950s, in my opinion it is genetically impossible to support any team other than your natural club. Even if you claim allegiance to one team in the EPL there are going to be 9 other games each week where you will be neutral, so what’s your point?  If you must have a second team support Dukla Prague, is as good as anything!

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

This is the 20th season since Forest were in the Premier Jip, have they been close in that time to returning, are they in with much of a chance to return this season?

No, and probably not BB ?

A couple of brief flirtations with the play-offs but never strong enough.

This season has started with optimism as we have about 20 new faces...... no doubt my bubble will be burst by Christmas...

One of the best games I saw at City Ground was on Sunday 27th January 1974:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There's a new team in the Scottish Premiership called The Rangers.

They were formed in 2012. Maybe Jip99 could support them.?

The Gers are indeed my Scottish team.. been to Ibrox a couple of times for Celtic matches..................... they are BLOODY scary..

58 minutes ago, retayl said:

Dukla Prague ? ..will look them up........lovely city.

You make a fair point although I only watch games that interest me i.e.  2 or 3 over the weekend - so at least a couple as neutral, although those games might involve teams vying with my chosen team.

12 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The Gers are indeed my Scottish team.. been to Ibrox a couple of times for Celtic matches..................... they are BLOODY scary..

Yes, especially for the Sevco fans last season when Celtic scored so many goals against them.:cheesy:

11 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

There is only one correct answer. 

COYS!!!

Southampton?

Spurs are arsenal 10 years ago, playing good competitive football but not quite being 

good enough to win the big prizes.

For Christ's sake. They only had to finish above Leicester to win the league a few years back 

and managed to stuff it up!

I followed the spuds home and away in the 70's and early 80's under Burkenshaw, went to 

places like Eastville in Bristol and Brisbane  road when they played the Orient in the old

2nd division.

They have the whiniest fans going, with the biggest chips on their shoulders. They could be

6-0 up in a game with 5 minutes left, and one miss placed pass in midfield would result in

torrents of abuse raining down from all around the lane.

I reckon that most spurs fans don't actually want their team to succeed as they need to

vent angrily at their players, the only thing they celebrate is finishing above the arsenal, when

they managed that for the 1st time in around 20 years, I'm pretty sure they had some kind

of open topped parade around harringey!!

Veered off topic there, but I would go with Newcastle or Fulham.

Newcastle have incredible support who go everywhere in big numbers, have a cool kit

and is a pretty good place to vusit.

Fulham, because their manager is a nutcase, their ground is in a nice part of London and there

is absolutely nothing "Billy big bollo**s" about them.

6 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Could be egg on face next week possum.

Could be, the law of averages says it has to happen sometime. But for us to beat them. being better than them is often not enough, we have to be much much better.

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

No, and probably not BB ?

A couple of brief flirtations with the play-offs but never strong enough.

This season has started with optimism as we have about 20 new faces...... no doubt my bubble will be burst by Christmas...

One of the best games I saw at City Ground was on Sunday 27th January 1974:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

I was at that game. The old man took me and my brothers. It was bitterley cold down by the Trent that day. Lot of trouble inside and particularly outside after the game - a well known game amongst  City fans for that  reason. It was played on a sunday (due to the power cuts then and it kicked off early when all games normally started at 3pm) back when shops, etc, were closed Sundays and 'entertainment' wasn't  permitted so to get round it, it was free to get in and the matchday programme and team sheet were the cost of normal  entrance fee. The man who could  jump over minis and throw golfballs the length of the pitch, Duncan mckenzie, had a worldy that day.

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129101

6 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Southampton?

Spurs are arsenal 10 years ago, playing good competitive football but not quite being 

good enough to win the big prizes.

For Christ's sake. They only had to finish above Leicester to win the league a few years back 

and managed to stuff it up!

I followed the spuds home and away in the 70's and early 80's under Burkenshaw, went to 

places like Eastville in Bristol and Brisbane  road when they played the Orient in the old

2nd division.

They have the whiniest fans going, with the biggest chips on their shoulders. They could be

6-0 up in a game with 5 minutes left, and one miss placed pass in midfield would result in

torrents of abuse raining down from all around the lane.

I reckon that most spurs fans don't actually want their team to succeed as they need to

vent angrily at their players, the only thing they celebrate is finishing above the arsenal, when

they managed that for the 1st time in around 20 years, I'm pretty sure they had some kind

of open topped parade around harringey!!

Newcastle have incredible support who go everywhere in big numbers, have a cool kit

Fulham, because their manager is a nutcase, their ground is in a nice part of London and there

MrBj any chance you can pin this..It's brilliant!

I swear i am not 'shy coconut' - but i like his style ?

7 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Southampton?

Southampton - a good call, and a serious contenders if they weren't just a feeder club for Liverpool. Remember when they kept winning the youth cup and I enjoyed their style of play. Also, Matt Le Tissier is one of the nicest down to earth blokes I have ever met.

Fulham - your comments are spot on and I think it would be kind of fashionable to support a potential underdog (Palace are similar).

Newcastle - I can't see any merit in following a team that Forest can beat. I think the barcodes are going to have a tough time - and I can't stand that b4stard Ashley.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Could be, the law of averages says it has to happen sometime. But for us to beat them. being better than them is often not enough, we have to be much much better.

Celtic have sat on their hands this summer and it could bite them I think.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:16 PM, retayl said:

Come on!..............................Dukla are donkeys!

Football | 31 Aug 23:30

Sparta Prague - 90 Minutes

Sparta Prague v Dukla Prague

Odds  1/9

18 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So Jip, which Premier club did you choose to follow?

Well, Spurs proved their flakiness so Fulham become favorites.

Whilst United were easier on the eye last night I still think it is time to move on.

I will have a look at recent Fulham matches in more detail and I do like the idea of following an “unfashionable” team. Their website is crap though. There is a possibility that I could get to see the Fulham vs Watford game as I am in the UK at that time......... that would be a real test to see if there is any “pull”.

Somebody picked up earlier on my time in East Anglia; I spent 7 years in Norwich but Norwich City never ‘grabbed’ me. ...... although they played nice football we just didn’t click. When I moved to Suffolk it was different - I had already been hooked by their style of play with Muhren and Thijssen et al so when I started to regularly visit Portman Road it was easy to become a ‘fan’.

if I could get something similar from a visit to Craven Cottage then Fulham would get my allegiance.

Just now, Jip99 said:

Well, Spurs proved their flakiness so Fulham become favorites.

Whilst United were easier on the eye last night I still think it is time to move on.

I will have a look at recent Fulham matches in more detail and I do like the idea of following an “unfashionable” team. Their website is crap though. There is a possibility that I could get to see the Fulham vs Watford game as I am in the UK at that time......... that would be a real test to see if there is any “pull”.

Somebody picked up earlier on my time in East Anglia; I spent 7 years in Norwich but Norwich City never ‘grabbed’ me. ...... although they played nice football we just didn’t click. When I moved to Suffolk it was different - I had already been hooked by their style of play with Muhren and Thijssen et al so when I started to regularly visit Portman Road it was easy to become a ‘fan’.

if I could get something similar from a visit to Craven Cottage then Fulham would get my allegiance.

I think it's a good shout. Fulham are definitely not fodder. 

Archived