Pope says gay children should get psychiatric treatment

Oxx

Frankly, I would have thought that people who believe in an invisible sky wizard who, whilst omnipotent, feels the need for people to worship him, are far more in need of psychiatric treatment than gay children.

For that matter, people who believe the Roman Catholic church is a force for good in society would also benefit from a visit to a shrink.

https://inews.co.uk/news/pope-francis-says-gay-children-should-get-psychiatric-treatment/

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So he's basically promoting abusive conversion therapy.

Well, it makes a change from promoting abusive priests.  Of course, it's always possible that the Roman Catholic priests are only buggering little boys to turn them off gay sex.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't conflate the child abuse issue with the issue of the topic. They are not the same.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

imho it shows a total ignorance of human sexuality, which is leading to inexcusable, abhorrent decision making. The statement is a reflection of putting humans on a god like pedestal.   

Hi so privilege and the avoidance of responsibility is a common topic on this website.The catholic church makes the Thais seem like rank amateurs. Does his statement include the victims of child sexual abuse by priests who made a vow of chastity but in reality entered the priesthood to suppress their own warped morality?  

Sounds quite modern for the Old Skool catholic church.  :crazy:

But you have to give them credit for finally sussing out that confessing one's gayness to another man, whilst sat in a dark closet, is probably counter-productive.

If this modern medical science thing doesn't work out for them, there's always this approach.

No, thousand of children went to psychiatric treatment becouse the abuse of these gay priests... directly asociate issue. IMO.
Not really. The topic is about gay children and whether or not parents should force them to seek "therapy" to make them not gay.

That is very controversial and many people including me think that's a form of child abuse.

Back on the unrelated sexual abuse topic I think it's reasonable to offer professional psychological support to victims of such abuse regardless of whether the abuser is clergy or not.

I get people want to conflate these two issues but again they are quite different issues.

Not really. The topic is about gay children and whether or not parents should force them to seek "therapy" to make them not gay.

That is very controversial and many people including me think that's a form of child abuse.

Back on the unrelated sexual abuse topic I think it's reasonable to offer professional psychological support to victims of such abuse regardless of whether the abuser is clergy or not.

I get people want to conflate these two issues but again they are quite different issues.

That’s correct.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 12:10 PM, from the home of CC said:

probably have better results all around if priests and nuns were allowed to be human and marry.

People choose to become priests and nuns. They know the terms of the job in advance and can choose not to take that job, or they can quit the job if they disagree with it.

Gay people do not choose to be gay. If there is an omnipotent god, he made them gay. Putting them into therapy is trying to undo god's work. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pehaps it would be good for gay students to go to therapy. They could probably use some help dealing with all the ignorant people say bad things about them.

It is difficult being young and gay. Some students dealing with their sexuality act out. It would be good to have a professional help them deal with and accept being gay.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, brianp0803 said:

Pehaps it would be good for gay students to go to therapy. They could probably use some help dealing with all the ignorant people say bad things about them.

It is difficult being young and gay. Some students dealing with their sexuality act out. It would be good to have a professional help them deal with and accept being gay.

Maybe the people bullying them should get some treatment instead.

Archived