Gained half an inch on my upper arm muscle :)

simon43

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2018 at 1:59 AM, tropo said:

Portion control is a good start. Maybe you're eating too much at each sitting. Also, what you eat makes a huge difference. You could eat often and not put on weight if you make the right food choices. Failing that, go crazy on cardio to burn as much fat as possible. The very first thing I do when I want to lose a bit of fat is cut out all the processed crap.

Is there any other solution but eating grilled chicken + boiled vegetables ?

I do not find anything else as useful, and it's so easy to eat chicken everyday.

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 5:14 AM, JohnDyson said:

Trap bar deadlifts are safer and pro athletes in other sports usually do this version. Boofheads care about max lifts but for most people it's about overall well being.

I got a trap bar for deadlift, I have used it and I have done normal deadlifts too. For me I don't see a problem going heavy. Though I almost never go below 8 reps. Most of the time 10 or more. I have done a time of 5 reps with heavy weights but was not really my style. 

You don't have to lift heavy weights to train heavy. I used to do a training method where I had to lower the weight down real slow and push it up really slow too. That really brought the weight down.

In the end is it not about how you feel. You totally destroy yourself with light weights if you go a bit higher in reps and if you go slower (there are programs out there that require that). 

I like lifting heavy but not really go for low rep ranges i feel it better at higher rep ranges. 

On 10/22/2018 at 11:27 AM, simon43 said:

As the OP, I totally agree with your comment!  I bench press 20 Kg, do side-bends with 12 Kg dumbells etc.  That's heavy enough for me to slowly increase my muscle mass ????

It will work for a while.. but then you need to increase weights.. or do it slower. You can't expect increases in muscle if the work does not get heavier. Muscles only gain size and strenght if the demand on them is increased (heavier weights.. more reps.. slower motion ect). By doing the same all the time you won't increase mass. The moment you don't change weight or volume or motion speed your get stuck at a certain moment.

Simon check your estrogen levels at you age what Test you have some could be converted into estrogen. Get some liguid zinc from Iherb and start taking 2 droppers full a day about 1 ml. this will block amrotease a product of the body that converts test to estrogen especially as we age. good luck at 73 hit the gym 3 times a week

1 minute ago, ozmeldo said:

I gained half inch too!!

In my waist.

Man I need a magic bullet belly fat remover. I hate (!!) situps as well.

Good luck for you that sit ups don't remove belly fat. A diet will do the trick exercise helps but not that much if its about fat loss.

Why do some men want a big upper arm?

Do they think ladies this that is sexy, or do they think they look 'tough'?

If you have big upper arms and the rest of your body is small with no muscles you will look out of balance, top heavy.

I see many guys with big arms but the rest of them is flabby or even fat.. yet they seem to think they look so sexy and strong.  If they had to run 100 meters they probably would faint.  

If you have big upper arms and the rest of your body is small with no muscles you will look out of balance, top heavy.

I see many guys with big arms but the rest of them is flabby or even fat.. yet they seem to think they look so sexy and strong.  If they had to run 100 meters they probably would faint.  
Seems to be a measure of strength, when i was still 18 a lot of guys only trained their upper body and mostly biceps.

Of course i loved training my upper body more then legs when i was 18 now i just train all of it legs included.

I don't train for the ladies just don't want to become a fat slob again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Simon check your estrogen levels...

I have this checked every 3 months, mid 20's and stable.

Your question probably wasn't aimed specifically at me, but I'll explain specifically for me.

I have a generic low T level in my body, (as did my Dad and as has my son).  One side-effect of low T is a lower than average upper body muscle mass.  My lower body is fine in muscle size, but because my upper body lacks muscle mass, I look (as you commented) out of proportion, but the other way round to your comment.

But there's a serious reason to increase my muscle mass. I'm hitting 60 and older people lose muscle mass as they age. For me, losing what little muscle that I have up top is not good - I need to try to maximise my muscle mass so as to retain some muscle for as long as possible.

I don't want to look like Mr Universe, and I have zero chance of coming within a million miles of that body type.  All I want to do is to increase my upper body muscle mass to what would be typical of a man with normal T levels.

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have this checked every 3 months, mid 20's and stable.

Your question probably wasn't aimed specifically at me, but I'll explain specifically for me.

I have a generic low T level in my body, (as did my Dad and as has my son).  One side-effect of low T is a lower than average upper body muscle mass.  My lower body is fine in muscle size, but because my upper body lacks muscle mass, I look (as you commented) out of proportion, but the other way round to your comment.

But there's a serious reason to increase my muscle mass. I'm hitting 60 and older people lose muscle mass as they age. For me, losing what little muscle that I have up top is not good - I need to try to maximise my muscle mass so as to retain some muscle for as long as possible.

I don't want to look like Mr Universe, and I have zero chance of coming within a million miles of that body type.  All I want to do is to increase my upper body muscle mass to what would be typical of a man with normal T levels.

Just remember Simon if you want to add muscle mass increase the weight of the exercise or the number of reps (but don't go to high), or the tempo (speed of lowering and pushing). These three things can make working out heavier. To get more muscle you need to make them work harder over time. If you keep doing the same thing they won't develop further. 

Also some carbs around time of the workout would be good.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:52 AM, simon43 said:

I hated jogging 20 months ago when I first started trying to get fit.  Jogging only 100 metres was torture!  I slowly increased my distance until I'm happily jogging 10 Km Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Looking back over the past 20 months, I am amazed at how my stamina and 'feeling-good' has improved.  I will never return to the beer + pizza diet of yesteryear ????

Endorphins are what make you feel good that's why you keep on running, and long may it last.I am walking 10km in the morning and 5-8 in the evening mixed with a few push-ups and a bit with the fitness band.I am definitely in negative calories mostly veg and the only sugar is from fruit,No Alcohol at all.I will wait till I get home and can get some good quality protein chicken,steak,fish that I know is from a good source.I have lost a possible 4-5 kg! In 25 days from 58-59kg to 52-53 I weigh myself on the same set of scales outside a 7-11 when I leave the beach at 17:00 each day,I am 166cm and a 67yo so I am well chuffed if I can get to 70 kg I will feel like I have won the lottery.My fitness tracker tells me my resting heart rate is 51 and my VO2-max gives my fitness age as 26.lets hope muscle memory kicks in and remembers my last six pack that I had in my early 30s and again in my early 40s.

5 minutes ago, adammike said:

Endorphins are what make you feel good that's why you keep on running, and long may it last.I am walking 10km in the morning and 5-8 in the evening mixed with a few push-ups and a bit with the fitness band.I am definitely in negative calories mostly veg and the only sugar is from fruit,No Alcohol at all.I will wait till I get home and can get some good quality protein chicken,steak,fish that I know is from a good source.I have lost a possible 4-5 kg! In 25 days from 58-59kg to 52-53 I weigh myself on the same set of scales outside a 7-11 when I leave the beach at 17:00 each day,I am 166cm and a 67yo so I am well chuffed if I can get to 70 kg I will feel like I have won the lottery.My fitness tracker tells me my resting heart rate is 51 and my VO2-max gives my fitness age as 26.lets hope muscle memory kicks in and remembers my last six pack that I had in my early 30s and again in my early 40s.

Just something that I don't understand your talking about losing weight going to 52-53 but want to go to 70 KG ? am I misreading something ? Or do you worry about aging to 70 ?

Muscle memory will help you build a six pack and all other muscles but if there is belly fat it won't be visible. 

Archived