21 hurt in Phetchaburi bus crash

webfact

By The Nation

c7.jpg

Channel 7

A driver of a Surat Thani-Bangkok bus dozed off, causing his vehicle to hit a road sign in Phetchaburi early on Wednesday, injuring himself and 20 passengers, police said.

Police said the bus hit the sign and fell into a ditch in the middle of the road in Tambon Tha Yang of Phetchaburi's Tha Yang district.

Rescuers took about half an hour to free the passengers trapped inside.

The injured were taken to the Phetchaburi Hospital.

The driver, Ekkalak Deesud, 36, admitted that he dozed off. He was detained to face a charge of reckless driving causing injuries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353235

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-29

2 hours ago, webfact said:

stiff penalties for people with no licence - how about stiff penalties for bus and minibus drivers who are responsible for a considerable number of crashes on Thai roads - we have all seen the way they drive, time to get tough on these maniacs and make having an accident and driving carelessly hard on the pocket and take away their licence making them attend special training over 12 months to get it back 

1 hour ago, Searat7 said:

I wonder about the insurance company which insures the provincial bus lines. Their rates must have gone up substantially in the past few years with accidents like this occurring weekly.

you think they have insurance lol

My guess would be that busses and minibuses have the absolute minimum to allow them on the road legal, I would very much doubt it covers passengers

This is Never going to stop. Unless the government gets Serious about Doing something Like Jailing the Cowboy Drivers and Fining the owners of the transport vehicles Millions of THB for Hiring the Cowboys and make sure that they have a License  and Can operate a passengers  carrying vehicle and not taking Drugs.

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I wish driving wasn't on the list of jobs reserved for Thais. The bus, 18 wheelers, and minivan drivers are clearly not competent, as they have proven time and time again.

even if they were allowed do you think they could find a vehicle that was roadworthy enough to want to drive it, my guess would be that they cut every corner possible when servicing these vehicles e.g. cheap poor quality brake shoes from China that fade very quickly - the friction material is extremely important in order for brakes to work properly

Can you imagine the situation - either fit these cheap shoes from China for 5000baht or fit the proper recommended shoes for 20,000baht 

Look on the bright side...

The bus driver probably would have done a runner (or a hobbler, as the case may be) if he'd been able to get out of his crashed bus uninjured.

So now, the police and the court system can fine him 5000 baht, and he'll be on his way, ready to drive his next shift.

:w00t:

52 minutes ago, smedly said:

even if they were allowed do you think they could find a vehicle that was roadworthy enough to want to drive it, my guess would be that they cut every corner possible when servicing these vehicles e.g. cheap poor quality brake shoes from China that fade very quickly - the friction material is extremely important in order for brakes to work properly

Can you imagine the situation - either fit these cheap shoes from China for 5000baht or fit the proper recommended shoes for 20,000baht 

It depends who is in charge of the company but It does appear that it's the brakes that are least maintained, followed by the tyres.  I know that maintenance increases the price but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would be happy to pay extra for the peace of mind (not for the 18 wheelers). I'd rather pay more to get to my destination alive. At the moment I choose to just drive myself. That way I know the driver isn't on drugs, doesn't drive on the wrong side of the road, wont fall asleep at the wheel, won't be checking his Facebook or chatting to his mia noi in a neighbouring province etc

Archived