Aussie jumps bail for assaulting female cabin crew, steals Phuket yacht to sail home

snoop1130

Aussie jumps bail for assaulting female cabin crew, steals Phuket yacht to sail home

By The Phuket News

1535537880_1-org.jpg

The poster posted online when concerns ran high for the ‘missing’ brother’s safety. Image: Supplied

PHUKET:-- An Australian already on the run for assaulting two air stewardess on a flight from Sydney to Bangkok last year has been arrested and released in Darwin after fleeing Thailand on a yacht chartered out of Phuket.

Owen Van Duren, 37, and his ex-special forces brother Shane, 43, arrived in Darwin last Sunday (Aug 26) after sailing for six weeks, reports the Daily Mail. 

The pair had departed Phuket on July 7.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/aussie-jumps-bail-for-assaulting-female-cabin-crew-steals-phuket-yacht-to-sail-home-68418.php#fp8fUpmgamih8JSp.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-8-29

I don't know how serious the assault on the flight crew was, but I guess this character thought 6 months in a Bangkok prison awaiting trial was enough punishment.

When they eventually let him out on bail he hired a sailing vessel in Phuket and, with help from his brother, headed for Darwin leaving the boat owners in limbo, thinking it had sunk. (This was the same time as the Phoenix disaster).

Confusing the story was the fact that the brother had also been up on assault charges last year after fighting with police and RSPCA officers when retrieving his dog from their custody.

The charges for assault against the flight crew were dropped in Australia because they won't prosecute the same case in two countries. No word on whether the brothers will face charges for stealing the yacht or if the younger will be extradited back to Bangkok for trial.

I guess we've learned one way of escaping Thailand if the s... ever hits the fan, and that violent idiocy can run in a family.

There is a whole lot of missing information here.

But looks like there needs to be a crack down on yacht charter industry. They are in on it.

Like where are the thai crew?  Or were they talking about just the 2 brothers ?And if they were tracking the boat for weeks to darwin then why not intercept? Its ais unit would have been turned on in order for that to happen. 

This story leaves you to wonder. The guys are free so mission accomplished. This sais a lot about what australia thinks about thailand. If you can steal a 500,000 dollar yacht and sail to australia and be set free.  That says it all right there.

This could make a good movie.

5 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

But looks like there needs to be a crack down on yacht charter industry. They are in on it.

Like where are the thai crew?  Or were they talking about just the 2 brothers ?And if they were tracking the boat for weeks to darwin then why not intercept? Its ais unit would have been turned on in order for that to happen. 

This story leaves you to wonder. The guys are free so mission accomplished. This sais a lot about what australia thinks about thailand. If you can steal a 500,000 dollar yacht and sail to australia and be set free.  That says it all right there.

Pretty sure one can bareboat charter here as everywhere else...and AIS would very likely not be installed in a chartered vessel here....but a great way to get out of the country!

“A” good movie? - more like 10 good movies! Flight attendants bashed....time in Thai jail...escape on high seas in stolen boat... SAS brother seen horrible incidents...dog taken from secured welfare compound after cutting thru 3 fences...Aus policeman bashed... authorities return dog to owner and the list goes on.

There must be more that’s happened so far and who knows what more in the future.

This is fantastic!

Make a mini series please Hollywood!

4 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Strange comment from someone that has a very loose grasp on the charter industry, Why on earth would they 'be in on it' ? Also a private hire does not need Thai crew. 

If you borrow, rent, loan, hire, lease, charter or enter into any contract of intent to use, written or verbal, if you don’t return on time it is not theft unless it can be proven you intended to never return it. These guys would know their rights and that’s the reason they are off scot free because they could produce evidence to the AFP or Border Force that they had legally chartered the vessel. The non-return is a breach of contract. As long as they stay out of Thailand they have no case to answer.

16 minutes ago, Tradewind777 said:

If you borrow, rent, loan, hire, lease, charter or enter into any contract of intent to use, written or verbal, if you don’t return on time it is not theft unless it can be proven you intended to never return it. These guys would know their rights and that’s the reason they are off scot free because they could produce evidence to the AFP or Border Force that they had legally chartered the vessel. The non-return is a breach of contract. As long as they stay out of Thailand they have no case to answer.

Not quite.  In Australian Laaws there is a Laaw convering "Unlawful Conversion"  This applies in cases where goods are used in cases like this even though there is no intent to deprive the owner.  In this law Intent is not a factor.

4 minutes ago, harrry said:

Not quite.  In Australian Laaws there is a Laaw convering "Unlawful Conversion"  This applies in cases where goods are used in cases like this even though there is no intent to deprive the owner.  In this law Intent is not a factor.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/theft-by-conversion.html

Seems to me this is not applicable here since the non-return happened in Thailand.

So I would say 'quite' in stead of 'not quite'.

Yes unless they say he also used it for his benifit in Australian waters.

Though extradition is posible this would depend on it being a criminal offence to convert goods in a similar manner in Thailand.  It is not theft.

53 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

Strange comment from someone that has a very loose grasp on the charter industry, Why on earth would they 'be in on it' ? Also a private hire does not need Thai crew. 

Actually i do understand the charter buisness quite well.

So many things are wrong with this story. 

For 1 you need to have a port clearance to leave thailand and enter another country. So the boat is  now stolen and illegally in australia . The charter company gets paid for lost buisness from insurance company. If thai crew were onboard they are probobly on paid leave here in thailand on holiday still.

I would guess that the problems these 2 are in is more like a escape from wrongfull  persecution/prosecution like happens daily here.

Or else both these guys would be in jail now and not out with the damn dog too.

Ais is for sure on every charter boat in phuket. Especially a 500.000 usd boat . I look at my unit here and its full of  charter boats  None are  likely legal but thats neither here nor there.

This story is a great escape from no doubt a bunch of fabricated stories meant to scam.  The special ops brother to the rescue.  And australia is ok with it all. Love it.

27 minutes ago, harrry said:

Yes unless they say he also used it for his benifit in Australian waters.

Though extradition is posible this would depend on it being a criminal offence to convert goods in a similar manner in Thailand.  It is not theft.

Does this mean I can charter a boat. With no intention of returning it, sail around the world for years.

And it would not be theft? Seems bizarre.

civil offence unless in countries like Australia which specifically have a law covering Conversion in their Criminal Code as it is not theft.  

Of course if it could be shown that at the time of signing the contract you lied fraud may be possible.

• 6 months later...

I understand this story seems epic like it would make a good movie but I'm just going to say it. Neither one of these horrible people deserve anything, I have to poor fortune of being related to both of them and a majority of their relatives have disowned and cut these toxic people off. They are no longer in loving relationships and their kids are not close with them. I will not deny that in certain ways they are smart, some how despite all their bullsh*t they have faced no real consequences. But this in no ways makes them good people or even remotely close. This story is the tip of the iceberg they both have other siblings specifically brothers from which they have stolen from and even stabbed. Shane the brother threatened to kill an RSCPA officer while holding her in a head lock after he cut though several fences to retrieve his dog which had been taken from him on accounts of abuse. Owens wife and two young kids now try to stay away from him after finding out he had another family in Thailand. I have resorted to googling my close relatives as they are not the people we wish to be around. These men may have dramatic stories but that doesn't change that fact that they deserve no recognition or big stories for their stupidity.

27 minutes ago, Sam Cort said:

I understand this story seems epic like it would make a good movie but I'm just going to say it. Neither one of these horrible people deserve anything, I have to poor fortune of being related to both of them and a majority of their relatives have disowned and cut these toxic people off. They are no longer in loving relationships and their kids are not close with them. I will not deny that in certain ways they are smart, some how despite all their bullsh*t they have faced no real consequences. But this in no ways makes them good people or even remotely close. This story is the tip of the iceberg they both have other siblings specifically brothers from which they have stolen from and even stabbed. Shane the brother threatened to kill an RSCPA officer while holding her in a head lock after he cut though several fences to retrieve his dog which had been taken from him on accounts of abuse. Owens wife and two young kids now try to stay away from him after finding out he had another family in Thailand. I have resorted to googling my close relatives as they are not the people we wish to be around. These men may have dramatic stories but that doesn't change that fact that they deserve no recognition or big stories for their stupidity.

I know these shenanigans kicked off last summer but since it's been a fair bit since I worked in Australia and thus not being overly familiar with some of the newer nuance of the Australian vernacular, would 'bogans' be an appropriate handle for your more despicable rels?

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

not being overly familiar with some of the newer nuance of the Australian vernacular, would 'bogans' be an appropriate handle for your more despicable rels?

The word bogan's been getting used in Australia for years, nothing new about it.

18 hours ago, beechbum said:

The word bogan's been getting used in Australia for years, nothing new about it.

At the risk of going a wee bit off topic, I didn't hear it in the late 1970's to mid- 1980's.

"The term became widely known in the late 1980s when the teenage character Kylie Mole (played by Mary-Anne Fahey), in the Australian sketch comedy television series The Comedy Company, frequently used the term to disparage anyone she disliked."

Maybe if you are of a younger generation, it's like it's always been there?

• 1 month later...

In the "believe or not" category the brother is a candidate for a senate seat in the ACT in the upcoming Australian elections. He is a member of a controversial right wing party.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6090738/challenge-likely-over-anning-candidates-senate-eligibility/?cs=14350

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

In the "believe or not" category the brother is a candidate for a senate seat in the ACT in the upcoming Australian elections. He is a member of a controversial right wing party.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6090738/challenge-likely-over-anning-candidates-senate-eligibility/?cs=14350

So even if he wins all a loosing candidate has to do is challenge it and he's kicked out or am i reading it wrong?

7 hours ago, beechbum said:

So even if he wins all a loosing candidate has to do is challenge it and he's kicked out or am i reading it wrong?

I'm not sure how it works.

I still can't understand how the convicted criminal Derryn Hinch was able to become a senator.

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I'm not sure how it works.

I still can't understand how the convicted criminal Derryn Hinch was able to become a senator.

Not worried about his convictions as they were all against sex offenders more concerned that they've let a kiwi become a senator!

Archived