Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Stubborn Thai people telling the government where they can stick laws for their own good


webfact

Recommended Posts

Stubborn Thai people telling the government where they can stick laws for their own good

 

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

 

The Thai people are increasingly telling their own government where they can stick their plans for new laws.

 

And the government are backing down to the will of the people.

 

Even if they are convinced that the proposals are for the improvement of society and increased safety.

 

This was the overwhelming message from a Thai Rath investigation into the attitudes of the Thai people in today's society.

 

As evidence of this they looked at opposition to three government initiatives.

 

Three initiatives that were forced to be abandoned as the people protested and won the day.

 

These were:

 

Proposals to ban sitting in the back of pick-ups.

 

Result: Put off and shelved after being ignored by the people.

 

The Single Internet Gateway touted as protecting the Thai people

 

Result: Abandoned

 

Heavy fines and jail terms for people without road licenses.

 

Result: Looking every bit as likely to go the same way after back downs from the authorities.

 

Thai Rath did not mince their words saying that even initiatives that were for the good of the Thai people were being abandoned because they were refusing to obey laws they didn't want to obey.

 

Online campaigns in particular were being effective in blocking new moves.

 

The message was clear: Lawlessness and refusal to follow the government was the order of Thai society.

 

Source: Thai Rath

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-30
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, webfact said:

he Thai people are increasingly telling their own government where they can stick their plans for new laws.

 

And this is why, folks, the hurandes numbers of death will continue to happen, bodied will continue to pile up and the government and police will continue to come up with useless ideas to stop this madness...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic,  Me Me and guess what More  Me.

Selfish to the core.  

I hope the cops fine them,  more and more each offence.

Get the big stick out, on those in Thai society that think rules and regulations are just for someone else.  the bad boys and girls are just make the good

Thai people look bad.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

you know I am torn between my western logic that wants safety and my Beavis and Butthead 14 year old boy logic that loves freedom of telling the cops to <deleted> off.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very strange comments! do you lot actually think "government" anywhere actually give a dam about people, just keep paying taxes folks, it will all blow over ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Thai guy on Facebook said yesterday that the new driving license fines would be unfair as half the drivers in his area don't even have licenses.

 

If you don't educate your people properly, this is what you get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I applaud the people for defying the government. This administration is ridiculous, chock full of fake purity and notions of a higher moral fiber, and comes up with a different crackdown and law every week. Some might have some merit, but it is the heavy handed manner with which they impose them, that gets under people's skin. This current batch of leaders are completely lost. No competence. No leadership ability. No character. No gravitas. They bring less than zero to the table. 

 

Licensing is important. Something should be done about this issue. But just going out and announcing fines that amount to three of four months salary is a bit much, and not very well thought out, as usual. I think confiscating the vehicle, and holding it until a license is obtained, might be more effective. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

A Thai guy on Facebook said yesterday that the new driving license fines would be unfair as half the drivers in his area don't even have licenses.

 

If you don't educate your people properly, this is what you get. 

Perfect!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange media report? The current admin appear to be throwing different things out to the general public; but I don't think its the will of the people. It appears to me it comes down to what will be a popular choice and what may really dent the current regime. A report that is half factual. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish people in much of the west had done similar....instead now we have complete nanny states where regulation has crippled populations.

Part of the reason I live here is the lack of regulations and ease of living.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lust said:

This is why I love Thailand. The people tell the government what to do, as they should in every country.

I wonder if the families and friends of the 25,000 people killed on Thai roads every year feel the same way as you, I somehow doubt they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webfact said:

The message was clear: Lawlessness and refusal to follow the government was the order of Thai society.

The message was clear: The police will not enforce laws if they are too 'difficult', involve too much work and there is not enough money in it for them. The lawlessness and refusal to follow the government stems from government agencies themselves!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I applaud the people for defying the government. This administration is ridiculous, chock full of fake purity and notions of a higher moral fiber, and comes up with a different crackdown and law every week. Some might have some merit, but it is the heavy handed manner with which they impose them, that gets under people's skin. This current batch of leaders are completely lost. No competence. No leadership ability. No character. No gravitas. They bring less than zero to the table. 

 

Licensing is important. Something should be done about this issue. But just going out and announcing fines that amount to three of four months salary is a bit much, and not very well thought out, as usual. I think confiscating the vehicle, and holding it until a license is obtained, might be more effective. 

I concur 100% on defiance. It was an long standing tradition in the US to defy laws considered unconstitutional. Today, I think they could pass a law voiding the constitution and the citizens would lay down and take it up the ...

 

Lazy politicians think laws are the solution to every problem. They are not. How in the world does forcing a driver to have a license (I am not against people being licensed, of course) make the roads any safer?! The same dangerous driver is on the road the next day, just carrying an ID to sort the corpses after the fact. So come up with an incentive to be licensed, and more importantly an incentive to attend some driving instruction. If you want to apply 50,000 baht fines, apply those to people driving drunk! 500,000 for the hi-so drunk driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Maybe its just who is telling them that's the problem?

Proposals to fine people what could be in effect several times their monthly income, often for actions which rightly or wrongly have long been allowed or are common practice; said fines to be levied or at least threatened by an organisation which is  manifestly riddled with corruption from top to bottom.

 

These fines and penalties if not imposed summarily, then dealt with by a judicial system in which, let us say, there is a widely held perception that one's wealth, status and "influence" may have some bearing on how a criminal allegation is dealt with?

 

I can't for the life of me think why they are  met with objections and opposition!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, timendres said:

I concur 100% on defiance. It was an long standing tradition in the US to defy laws considered unconstitutional. Today, I think they could pass a law voiding the constitution and the citizens would lay down and take it up the ...

 

Lazy politicians think laws are the solution to every problem. They are not. How in the world does forcing a driver to have a license (I am not against people being licensed, of course) make the roads any safer?! The same dangerous driver is on the road the next day, just carrying an ID to sort the corpses after the fact. So come up with an incentive to be licensed, and more importantly an incentive to attend some driving instruction. If you want to apply 50,000 baht fines, apply those to people driving drunk! 500,000 for the hi-so drunk driver.

 

I believe what you are referring to is justice and equity in the system. Something that does not exist here, yet. It will eventually. Will take a few decades to get rid of the criminals, like Big Joke, Little P., Prawit, and the judges, mayors and governors. Hopefully, it will happen someday. For now, all the people can do is to defy the authorities, and I will continue applauding them for that act of courage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

The message was clear: Lawlessness and refusal to follow the government was the order of Thai society.

Which is exactly why Thailand will keep the title of "The Most Dangerous Roads in the World" for years to come. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Proposals to ban sitting in the back of pick-ups.

 

Result: Put off and shelved after being ignored by the people.

 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Heavy fines and jail terms for people without road licenses.

 

Result: Looking every bit as likely to go the same way after back downs from the authorities.

“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”

 

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Collected Works

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...