Stubborn Thai people telling the government where they can stick laws for their own good

webfact

Perhaps the Thai people are sending a subtle message to the Junta, bugger off, it might have been a different result and attitude if an elected government had introduced the new laws , once a junta has you by the short n curlies and they know there is no resistance, there's no stopping them,  the term give em an inch they'll take a mile when it comes to a junta, you'd better believe it..

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I wish people in much of the west had done similar....instead now we have complete nanny states where regulation has crippled populations.

Part of the reason I live here is the lack of regulations and ease of living.

There is no lack of regulations here in Thailand, there are plenty, all the different establishments make up their own,  there is also a lack of enforcement.

Thai people don't see the need for licences, if you want to ride a motorcycle go buy one & ride it.

Same goes for cars, buy one and drive it..

licences are just an inconvenience & expense benefiting government pockets

just like another form of tax!!!

Thais like things simple, if you want to do it just do it, like opening a business, no checks, no licences... easy life!

4 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Education is the key here and not fines and this for sure will take time to filter through. Rome wasn't built in a day so they say.  

Absolutely right!

Mind you, have you seen the way Italians drive?

?

All this vitriol, undisguised racism and hospital grade hate is bewildering.

Grown men with a choice have chosen to move here and remain yet still harbour such disdain.

If their best friend said to them 'I hate my wife'..they would advise friend to leave their wife. Yet here they are, they hate their life but prefer to live what remains of it living in what must be self exile in a se asian dantes inferno.

Bunch of gasbags on this thread.

China takes steps every day towards becoming more and more of a perfect bizarro--beyond-orwellian slave state, right before our eyes... Thailand proves that it's scofflaw ways are good for something insofar as it will clearly NOT become like that... and all you dried-up fruits can do is rant and blame like a bunch of little b!tches. Take the long view and be grateful, even though you have to buckle up and keep off the upcountry roadways at night.

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I was thinking more of the driver's license issue, after all, passengers riding in the back of a pickup are rarely if ever the cause of accidents and RTA deaths.

Regularly the cause of RTA deaths.

20 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

All this vitriol, undisguised racism and hospital grade hate is bewildering.

Grown men with a choice have chosen to move here and remain yet still harbour such disdain.

If their best friend said to them 'I hate my wife'..they would advise friend to leave their wife. Yet here they are, they hate their life but prefer to live what remains of it living in what must be self exile in a se asian dantes inferno.

Indeed.

If one seeks Western sensibilities [whatever that is] than one should reside in the beloved siwilai West.  

The attempts to reinvent Asia in their own image is a bit of a backward and disconnected approach.

Yet, guaranteed that most won't get it.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Well they can travel at the back of their pickup because it doesn't affect me.

But if some numbnut without a licence or insurance hits me, I am the stupid one.

Not stupid, but unlucky.

Previous supporters of Prayut have had enough, they’re done with him and fatso The watchman.... they’re just being cagey about openly saying it.... they’ll get hammered at elections.... so the missus says anyway, she was happy to see The Thaksin clan kicked out but now extremely peed off with what replaced them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

32 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Previous supporters of Prayut have had enough, they’re done with him and fatso The watchman.... they’re just being cagey about openly saying it.... they’ll get hammered at elections.... so the missus says anyway, she was happy to see The Thaksin clan kicked out but now extremely peed off with what replaced them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry but I think your missus is living in a dream world. This mob r here to stay. And if the populace keeps complaining about the laws, then an election will have to be deferred.

14 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Sorry but I think your missus is living in a dream world. This mob r here to stay. And if the populace keeps complaining about the laws, then an election will have to be deferred.

Unless a true ground roots rebellion comes about. 

Not of the violent armed variety, but of the living one's protest type. 

It's already a familiar/socially collective culture - they just have to act upon as such.

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you know I am torn between my western logic that wants safety and my Beavis and Butthead 14 year old boy logic that loves freedom of telling the cops to <deleted> off.

I will go with Bevis and Butthead every time. At home now in the state that has the highest level of car thief in the US. Doesn't appear much is being done about it

14 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I will go with Bevis and Butthead every time. At home now in the state that has the highest level of car thief in the US. Doesn't appear much is being done about it

Me too. FTG

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

Junta come and go. Spain Greece  Thailand in the past.  An army of conscripts unwilling to kill there own families....? It's only a matter of time. Hopefully.

6 hours ago, digger70 said:

No wonder that his country is going to the dogs ,,,,,, People telling the government what it can/can't do,,,, what is this Government made up from? Pussies,,,, Gutless No hopers,,,

A non elected military regime. Hardly representing the wishes of the people. Rather than address real corruption they have tried to micromanage,  markets - destroyed , buses, total farce  and other issues . The reform off the army, reform of the penal system, education,  women's rights, drug law reform, welfare provision, the abuse of power...real issues left untouched.  But baht bus drivers come under the cosh! Pathetic. A wealthy, spoilt power elite divorced from reality.

14 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Classic,  Me Me and guess what More  Me.

Selfish to the core.  

I hope the cops fine them,  more and more each offence.

Get the big stick out, on those in Thai society that think rules and regulations are just for someone else.  the bad boys and girls are just make the good

Thai people look bad.

Arrest the people who hijacked the government? Sounds good to me. 

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I applaud the people for defying the government. This administration is ridiculous, chock full of fake purity and notions of a higher moral fiber, and comes up with a different crackdown and law every week. Some might have some merit, but it is the heavy handed manner with which they impose them, that gets under people's skin. This current batch of leaders are completely lost. No competence. No leadership ability. No character. No gravitas. They bring less than zero to the table. 

Licensing is important. Something should be done about this issue. But just going out and announcing fines that amount to three of four months salary is a bit much, and not very well thought out, as usual. I think confiscating the vehicle, and holding it until a license is obtained, might be more effective. 

To defy this government is a courageous political act of defiance.  

Thailand is a third world country that is once again ruled errr ran by the military.

Most countries would be considered as having a Military Dictatorship as the

military in power is not a democratically elected government, just my opinion of

course. Until there is another election and the people of Thailand can vote in a

government of their chosing, the attempt for Thailand to be a democratic country

is still just a hope. I enjoy visitingThailand and have relatives here and in my country

so feel lucky to have knowledgeable people of and from Thailand to give me the

truth of the situation and their hope for the future.

Geezer

Archived