11 American exchange students rescued from Chiang Mai forest

webfact

11 American exchange students rescued from Chiang Mai forest

By The Nation

586ebaf1ad84d25d7eec82a50a3374e6-sld.jpe

A group of American exchange students got lost in a Chiang Mai forest, strayed to the edge of a cliff and had to be rescued by officials early on Thursday.

Fortunately, the Nok Kok Cliff above the Tad Mok Waterfall has a mobile phone signal, so the students, one boy and ten girls, managed to call tourist police at 7pm on Wednesday evening for help and officials tracked their GPS to rescue them at 10 minutes past midnight.

854c1d74dba9c6f0ddf85c381d8ff6c4-sld.jpe

After the rescue, the students, who are aged from 18 to 22, said they were exchange students studying at the Faculty of Science at Chiang Mai University and had arrived in the northern city six weeks ago.

They said they had hired a red song-taew minibus from Chiang Mai University to the Huay Tueng Tao Reservoir in Tambon Don Kaew, Mae Rim district and started walking along the forest track heading to the waterfall at 2pm.

But they later found out that they had strayed off the track and got lost so they called Chiang Mai tourist police for help.

Col Supakorn Ruansati, manager of the Huay Tueng Tao Reservoir Tourism Office, said after the tourist police told him about the incident, his staff used their mobile phone number to search for their GPO location and managed to send help.

When the officials located the tourists, they warned them to stay still as they were on an 80-metre-tall cliff and could easily fall.

Rescuers then dispatched four-wheel pickup trucks to rescue them. The pickups drove for about four kilometres from the first forestry checkpoint and walked 800 metres to reach the students.

Once the students were taken out of the forest to the tourism office, they cheered and several cried and hugged the officials in appreciation.

Supakorn said the Huay Tueng Tao Reservoir normally closes at 6pm, when officials check whether all tourists have come out of the forest but the group had gone off on their own without informing the authorities first so the officials did not know they were there until they called the tourist police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353319

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-30

Met a group in the same area a month or two back, looking for the same waterfall, on the wrong path, on the wrong side of the stream.

They were happily walking off into the jungle, didn't want to be told they were on the wrong path.

What could some old guy possibly know?

Not sure how they can be lost for 8 hours though, the 'wrong' path goes up to the Mong village (Ban Chang Kian) and is only 7Km long.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

they were exchange students studying at the Faculty of Science at Chiang Mai University

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

They haven't got very far with their basic science studies then, unable to track themselves, not keeping tabs on the route they took.

Needed another science - GPS tracking used by the rescuers to locate them.

As they had smartphones, surely they could work out the direction they came from and retrace the route. Snowflake generation...

Having said that - one boy and ten girls - lost for ten hours, maybe they didn't want to be found in a hurry.

2 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Bunch of dumb kids who should know better  :bah:

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just as well they go into some cave, you know, the kind of a 10 km deep cave with raging floods... save us to look for new heros... 

Thai Visa Expats come through, once more!     :biggrin:      WooHoo, 

Don't ever change guys. And for all you do-gooders out there, don't attempt to change our rancid-hearted fellow posters -

Remember that adage ..... 'Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.' 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Now no matter what is happening these kids must strike that MORONIC selfie pose.

Awwww, not to beat on them too much.  How many American kids venture out of the house and into the forest in the first place.  They could have just stayed at the university and watched a Thai travelogue.  :whistling:

20 minutes ago, pmh2009 said:

Majority of the comments show a lot of love for these kids... what if you guys got lost??? give some thanks to all involved!!!

Beer is a huge part oft the culture in American university life. A lot of kids are cooped up with their parents and most universities require you to live in dorms on the campus your first year so they start to let loose! I also did but started 4 years earlier. 

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Thai Visa Expats come through, once more!     :biggrin:      WooHoo, 

Don't ever change guys. And for all you do-gooders out there, don't attempt to change our rancid-hearted fellow posters -

Remember that adage ..... 'Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.' 

ThaiVisa Anti-Cynic Cynics come through again!  Woo Hoo!  ?

Honestly, never heard that adage before. 

After reading some of the sour, negative, hateful and juvenile comments, I can only quess that alcohol and/or drugs must have damaged the brains of those posters. I wish them well. Well far from me.

Happily, no one was injured or killed in the lost group of students.

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

If anyone wants to know what young stupid 'university educated' liberals look like, view these pictures.

Once they get back home they will undoubtedly become SJWs, and some might even progress to Antifa.

Sure , conservatives would never go on a hike, What bone spurs and all.

If they had a phone signal couldn’t they just use their gps and a map app to get back to the reservoir?  I’m bewildered by the stupidity of this group, however, university in the USA has become a joke.  You’d be amazed how dumbed down the curriculum has become over the last 20 years.  

16 minutes ago, Ajvat37 said:

If they had a phone signal couldn’t they just use their gps and a map app to get back to the reservoir?  I’m bewildered by the stupidity of this group, however, university in the USA has become a joke.  You’d be amazed how dumbed down the curriculum has become over the last 20 years.  

pretty true...an Ivy League diploma is more of a red flag, than prestige, nowadays.

2 hours ago, Ajvat37 said:

Speaking as a old guy and based on a lot of travels and experiences, I would honestly say that the only university grads worth a shit these days are in the main those in hard sciences in the USA, or grads from Japan, Korea or Israel or Germany.

Totally off topic.

This reminds me of the fun I used to have with night hikes in California.  

Just me, my map, a compass and an altimeter.  Hiking miles into the mountains, or onto military bases.  

Go in at night.  Just hang out and have a lazy day.  Then hike back out the next night.  

3 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Totally off topic.

This reminds me of the fun I used to have with night hikes in California.  

Just me, my map, a compass and an altimeter.  Hiking miles into the mountains, or onto military bases.  

Go in at night.  Just hang out and have a lazy day.  Then hike back out the next night.  

It could have been more fun if you had had a couple of girls with you.

Archived