Personal Accident Insurance and Repatriation cover

Sweepstake01

I'm an expat from Australia, currently living  in Thailand. I would like to get some Personal Accident Insurance, whilst living in Thailand. I want to cover all costs associated with an accident, including death and repatriation costs.

Can someone please lead me to the right direction in terms of companies and types of policies? Should it be a company within Thailand or an international one? I believe the Thai Personal Accident Insurance policies will not cover the full costs of repatriation. The costs of repatriation can be up to $20 000 USD or more. The Thai Personal Accident Insurance policies will not cover this kind of cost, but will however cover costs of medical expenses and evacuation to nearest hospital etc. within Thailand. 

I don't want travel insurance, or comprehensive health insurance. Travel insurance is expensive, and I don't need cover for travelling expenses. Health insurance is not necessary due to my age of 31. I'm not looking to be covered for things like heart failure.

I just want to be insured for the worst case scenario (being death or motorbike accident), whilst living in Thailand.

I believe the kind of insurance is common, but I need information about companies/ policies/coverage's from someone who understands what I'm looking for. Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious, however I want to be insured for those worst case scenarios.

Can someone please lead me in the right direction?

Thankyou. 

Ok. Thanks for your information.

I am now looking at travel insurance.

To me, Repatriation is one of the most important costs to cover for an expat. Due to the amount it can actually cost if/ when required.

My options may only be:

travel insurance or;

I could decide that being buried here in Thailand (in the event that I die) is acceptable, but my family back home would probably disagree. I plan to live in Thailand for a while, and getting hospital cover through Personal Accident Insurance will at least cover for any accident and injury. But in the event of death, I need to consider this.  

Travel insurance is expensive when its for 365 day periods. Its about $1000 AUD per year. I have received many quotes on this. Are you able to explain exactly what happens if someone dies in Thailand and they don't have repatriation cover? I will phone up an insurance company and speak with someone.

But do you believe repatriation is necessary? Do you agree/ disagree that its the most essential and the most important cost to consider, in terms of insurance (for an expat living abroad)? Perhaps Personal Accident Insurance will suffice, but what would happen in the worst case scenario - being death?

Thankyou so much

2 hours ago, Sweepstake01 said:

But do you believe repatriation is necessary? Do you agree/ disagree that its the most essential and the most important cost to consider, in terms of insurance (for an expat living abroad)?

For me no but everyone is different......

Have a look here as it appears they cover repatriation in the event of death but you need to look at the specific policy conditions to be sure -  https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/whats-covered/death-overseas

Why would you want to be repatriated from one of the better medical 'hubs' in the world?

Plus... 

1. Repatriation depends on your medical teams on BOTH ends agreeing you'll make it without deterioration,  AND that the care at home exceeds that given here,  unlikely.  

Plus it will cost your insurer a small fortune. 

2. I was flight crew in another lifetime. You will be stretchered in the back of an economy cabin on a commercial  flight, you'll have a curtain fitted by ground engineers,  a nurse, and maybe a doctor. The ride will be what the ride is like in the back of economy. Forget the Learjet with the machine that goes 'ping' and the miniskirted attendant, ain't gonna happen. See cost, and medical assessments,  above. 

In summary,  save your money,  repatriation is only suitable for certain narrowly defined CONVALESCING patients well out of danger,  or dead ones... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for your replies.

I would only want to be repatriated in the event that I was dead, so the family could bury me at home.

Thats what I mean by worse case scenario.

Can anyone please advise what someone would normally pay for travel/ personal accident insurance for 1 year abroad. I realise it depends on circumstances, and everyone is different. But for a 31 year old who just wants to live in Thailand for 1 year, what price should I be expected to pay?

Many expats have little knowledge of this. Some have no insurance, some just get the travel insurance and dont really look into what it actually covers etc.

I have a quote here from an international company with two options:

1) Minimum cover at 3000 baht per month and;

2) a more comprehensive cover at 5000 baht per month.

I dont know of many people ie. backpackers and expats that are paying that much, but perhaps they havent really thought this through. The above costs are about what I would pay at home for Health Insurance and as an expat living in Thailand those costs above, are not so affordable.  But at the same time I would rather pay for something that is reliable.  

I welcome anyone to provide advice. Should I be expected to pay upwards of 3000 baht a month for health insurance whilst living in Thailand? There must be alot of people in Thailand who do not/ will not pay this. 

Am I missing something?

I really appreciate your comments. 

On 9/13/2018 at 10:09 AM, Sweepstake01 said:

But for a 31 year old who just wants to live in Thailand for 1 year, what price should I be expected to pay?

Have you bothered to check the Nomads site I gave you as that will give you a good idea?

Search for long stay/backpacker policies to get more options.

How much more "advice" do you need..........

Archived