Tourist police tell British Embassy evidence does not support assault allegation on Koh Tao

webfact

Tourist police say evidence does not support assault allegation on Koh Tao

PNPOL610831001000201-1.jpg

BANGKOK, 31st August 2018 (NNT) – The Deputy Commander of the Tourist Police has submitted findings from an investigation into the alleged sexual assault of a British tourist on Koh Tao in Surat Thani province, to the Consulate of the United Kingdom in Thailand, indicating that the area said to be the scene of the crime would have been too heavily flooded to access at the time, and that legal action is to be taken against the administrator of the Facebook page where the story was posted. 

Deputy Commander of the Tourist Police, Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal has met with British Consul-General to Thailand Paul Kaye to submit information collected following allegations that a British tourist was sexually assaulted on Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand.

He noted that despite the allegation, no report was filed with Thai police. He also spent close to an hour explaining the contents of photographs taken at the scene of the alleged crime to the consul-general. 

The photos were later presented to the media with police emphasizing that the area described as the scene of the crime, would have been thoroughly flooded by the high tide at the time, and would have required a person to tread water for up to 300 meters to get there. 

Pol Maj Gen Surachet added police have requested warrants for the arrest of the administrators of Facebook page CSILA and the Samui Times due to their presentation of the detrimental story.

Those responsible at the news outlets face prison sentences of up to five years if it's proven they presented false information. The identities of both administrators have already been revealed.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-31

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Deputy Commander of the Tourist Police, Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal has met with British Consul-General to Thailand Paul Kaye to submit information collected following allegations that a British tourist was sexually assaulted on Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand..."

Sorry Dudes, too many people are familiar with the Thai police, and too many have direct, first hand experience. Simply put, you do not have credibility and the general public will not believe you.

"...Pol Maj Gen Surachet added police have requested warrants for the arrest of the administrators of Facebook page CSILA and the Samui Times due to their presentation of the detrimental story..."

Again, sorry Dudes, but there is not a snowball's chance in hell that those warrants will be honoured; too many people are familiar with Thailand's legal system and laws.

Respectfully, perhaps this is a 'learning opportunity'. A clear-headed evaluation as to why no one will believe your story might yield some interesting results, and perhaps there are lessons to be learned in order to improve performance for the future (sarcasm alert). 

Well here's an interesting situation. The Thai police don't believe the girls story. However, No one at all, believes the Thai Police. And given everyone expected them to say they didn't believe the girls story, in fact were saying it before they even checked it, we are back to square one.

33 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Our Embassy in Thailand is a (sad) joke - doubt if they even know where Koh Tao is   ☹️

Our Embassy ? a total joke. They care nothing about their nationals only about the real estate value. A worthless bunch who employ more locals to screw up support of British Nationals then any other embassy I have had dealings with.  Put bluntly they are a disgrace to the the UK and offer minimal support to any UK national who needs it.  I have written 12 times to  UK MPs over 37 years here to complain at their ineptitude and lack of support and amazingly I received 2 responses, both of which was total faeces diatribe.  Just about typifies the British government's concern for their own,  rather promoting the values of others.

59 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Our Embassy ? a total joke. They care nothing about their nationals only about the real estate value. A worthless bunch who employ more locals to screw up support of British Nationals then any other embassy I have had dealings with.  Put bluntly they are a disgrace to the the UK and offer minimal support to any UK national who needs it.  I have written 12 times to  UK MPs over 37 years here to complain at their ineptitude and lack of support and amazingly I received 2 responses, both of which was total faeces diatribe.  Just about typifies the British government's concern for their own,  rather promoting the values of others.

No surprises that the decision to sell that land [which was gifted to Britain anyway] came soon after the BREXIT vote had devalued the pound by 20%, so they will make an absolute killing on the exchange rate, strong baht to almost worthless pound. The Victorians would have had the whole of this useless shower horsewhipped, and then strapped shirtless to the back of a cannon in the hot sun for a day.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well here's an interesting situation. The Thai police don't believe the girls story. However, No one at all, believes the Thai Police. And given everyone expected them to say they didn't believe the girls story, in fact were saying it before they even checked it, we are back to square one.

Indeed the RTP do have a credibility issue. However this appears somewhat bizzare. Whilst it is not unusual to keep the consulate/ embassy informed , to actually disclose the information to the public is.

Considering the RTP have requested the woman or representative to return, it seems extraordinary that they would dismiss her evidence before she has given it. 

The RTP have placed the embassy in a difficult situation  that they will not appreciate, how do they provide assistance to the victim and remain neutral.The Thai police are asking the embassy to chose a side .

I am left to wonder if this has gone beyond the rape allegation and other actors are driving the narrative. 

13 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Indeed the RTP do have a credibility issue. However this appears somewhat bizzare. Whilst it is not unusual to keep the consulate/ embassy informed , to actually disclose the information to the public is.

Considering the RTP have requested the woman or representative to return, it seems extraordinary that they would dismiss her evidence before she has given it. 

The RTP have placed the embassy in a difficult situation  that they will not appreciate, how do they provide assistance to the victim and remain neutral.The Thai police are asking the embassy to chose a side .

I am left to wonder if this has gone beyond the rape allegation and other actors are driving the narrative. 

The police have stated that the woman`s story has flaws because at the time she alleged to have been on the beach, that area would have been under water due to the tides and I see no reasons why the police statement is not credible.

I still say, BULL, to the woman`s story including other westerners, activists, stirring the pot with fake news. I guarantee that the woman in question, will not come forward to clarify her story and not leave any doubts, because it`s been lies, lies, lies from the very beginning with western activists using this case to benefit their own agendas against Thailand. 

Koh Tao is a piece of heaven. Sometimes, some farangs are raped, others just killed but all of these is because those farangs cannot behave themselves. I will suggest KT to every enemy of me.

It is a shame again. Shame on you Land of Smirk.

Tread Water - but that would be at hightide and not at the time of the incident in which case the Tourist Police basically lied did they not. Are the Embassy even aware of the height of the tide at the time of the incident.

The UK officials will be sat there knowing full well that the Tourist Police are lying. Sad! Poor girl!

There are two things I warn every acquaintance of mine who is planning to visit thailand about:

1.  Jet ski scam

2.   KT

sadly, i don't reach many people with my advice.  equally sadly, there are thousands of young, optimistic, adventurous tourists who continue to visit KT because they are unaware of what goes on there.  yes, they are remiss because they don't fully research the place they are visiting, but as i said earlier, they are young, adventurous, and optimistic.   so, probably for years, there will be a continuous supply of fresh meat for the rapists and sometime murderers who feel free to do whatever they like on KT. 

4 minutes ago, tracy3eyes said:

Tread Water - but that would be at hightide and not at the time of the incident in which case the Tourist Police basically lied did they not. Are the Embassy even aware of the height of the tide at the time of the incident.

The UK officials will be sat there knowing full well that the Tourist Police are lying. Sad! Poor girl!

yes, sad, but at least she escaped with her life, unlike hannah. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Those responsible at the news outlets face prison sentences of up to five years if it's proven they presented false information. The identities of both administrators have already been revealed.

After all, no public beheadings of journalists, - so far.

Still waiting for DNA evidence to be processed with the British police. Why is BIB so quick to close case without the DNA results? When results come back which say the DNA was from a Thai national, BIB will make up another story.

A girl is allegedly raped late at night. Some weeks later a team of senior police visit the island to search for evidence.

What evidence did they suppose they would find?  No witnesses to the alleged rape. Any clothing no doubt washed away long before their arrival.  It is all a very sad joke. Unless the vicitm can come up with her own evidence (ie semen stained clothing ) which can be matched to someone on the island, or can identify the rapist  nothing will happen.

Not sure why the Thai police, who are next to useless,  would even bother to tell the British Embassy,  as they for sure are totally useless. Working in the interests of British people and their interests is supposedly what they are charged to do,  but all they do is charge you for anything they do.

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

The police have stated that the woman`s story has flaws because at the time she alleged to have been on the beach, that area would have been under water due to the tides and I see no reasons why the police statement is not credible.

I still say, BULL, to the woman`s story including other westerners, activists, stirring the pot with fake news. I guarantee that the woman in question, will not come forward to clarify her story and not leave any doubts, because it`s been lies, lies, lies from the very beginning with western activists using this case to benefit their own agendas against Thailand. 

What shop do you own on Koh Tao? 

15 hours ago, mercman24 said:

and their evidence is ?? a big fat ZERO , and a one day investigation. waiting for them to say there is no crime on the island next

The report of the rape not accepted in the first place, the CCTV not seized in time, crime scene not secured immediately, thus the victim, with the DNA of the culprit on a shirt, went back to England terrified. Now the RTP looks like a drowned rat with no evidence whatsoever. Other employees would have been fired for not doing the work they are paid for, but the RTP???

So, there is no evidence, but the RTP is sure that the victim's story is not true. 

There is no evidence cannot mean the non-existence of the crime.

We were shown a tide picture. There is a nice analysis saying proving that the tide left some areas intact. Second. What if the actual crime has happened somewhere else and she was taken to that place later? 

Third. How can they deny her story without checking her T-shirt?

Leaving alone the reputation of KT and the stories told by persons lived there as well as the mystical event I would not be as fast as RTP was in this case.

RTP built Big Joke with money, time and work and was able to destroy his fame within a minute. Good work.

If it was your daughter would you let here go back to Thailand, I am sure I would not, everyone as heard all the stories about KT. This girl ran for her life, so did the girl that got hit with a bottle. The police have dna if that comes back saying it is Asian then the police will look silly again.

But again nothing will happen you can not win with Thai Police.

Archived