Olympic champ Bolt makes modest Mariners debut in friendly

rooster59

Olympic champ Bolt makes modest Mariners debut in friendly

800x800 (6).jpg

Soccer Football - Central Coast Mariners v Central Coast Select - Central Coast Stadium, Gosford, Australia - August 31, 2018 Central Coast Mariners' Usain Bolt in action with Central Coast Select's Jai McNamara REUTERS/David Gray

(Reuters) - Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt came off the bench to kick-start his football career with Australia's Central Coast Mariners in a pre-season friendly at Gosford on Friday, but later conceded that he will need more time to get up to speed.

The 32-year-old Jamaican, who is hoping to win a professional contract ahead of the Mariners' 2018-19 A-League campaign, was greeted by a crowd of nearly 10,000 as he stepped onto the pitch at the team's base north of Sydney in the 72nd minute against an amateur select side.

With the Mariners already leading 6-0, a relaxed Bolt pulled off a few step overs on the left wing and was inches away from connecting with a close-range tap-in.

There were a few heavy touches and the occasional loss of possession in the final few minutes, which showed Bolt still has plenty of work to do.

After the Mariners sealed a 6-1 victory, Bolt acknowledged that he will need at least four months to build up his fitness levels and perform at his peak on the football pitch.

"Probably four or five months... to get fit two months. Four months (from now) I'll be playing like one of the guys," Bolt told Fox Sports.

"It was good, it was what I expected. I was a bit nervous, but as soon as I got on the field it went away.

"My fitness is much better. The more I play, listen and train the better I'll get," he said.

Bolt's attempt to transform himself from global athletics superstar to professional football player has generated huge publicity for the struggling Mariners, who finished bottom of the 10-team A-league last season.

It has also drawn scepticism, with Adelaide United coach Marco Kurz questioning Bolt's open-ended trial, saying the A-League should focus on recruiting proven talents and improving Australian youngsters.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-01

On 9/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, BoganInParasite said:

I hope it goes well for him and the club/s that give him an opportunity.

They have but at 32 realistically with no football  background its a long shot and most fans who are there every home games see it as a good and positive PR exercise but they have many promising Academy players.There is a limit on squad numbers, he would just be taking up a spot that should go to someone with talent and a footballing future 

On 9/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, Sparkles said:

They have but at 32 realistically with no football  background its a long shot and most fans who are there every home games see it as a good and positive PR exercise but they have many promising Academy players.There is a limit on squad numbers, he would just be taking up a spot that should go to someone with talent and a footballing future 

I suppose that he is generating a lot of revenue that down the line could be used to improve youth development. If he isn't good enough he won't last long.

7 hours ago, champers said:

I suppose that he is generating a lot of revenue that down the line could be used to improve youth development. If he isn't good enough he won't last long.

I'm told he has made some personal appearances which have offset cost plus a bit over ,this came from private firms sponsorship ,its all pretty harmless and the season hasnt started

Archived